Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Niekamp Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Why was it changed? Usually these types of cars are restored to the highest standard of correctness. I find it strange that they used basic block logo stewart warner gauges instead of the 49' plymouth gauges. John

2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i believe it was changed over the years as eras progressed.... just not restored exactly
    but it was a time before "restored" hot rods existed....when it was done

3. NieKamp1927

NieKamp1927
    from Delaware

Now you've got another "NieKamp roadster", alive and well. In keeping with a comment here about not copying anybody's work, where as Cousin Bill's was a '29, the next generation is a '27 track roaster pickup. Or, if you prefer, a track nosed stretched lakes modified (that's what Dick Williams at Poli-Form calls the body)with a very short wooden bed on it. More later.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I know this an answer to a damn near five year old thread question, but the reason behind the change of steering boxes, according to the R&C and quarterly articles, was that the original box was removed by the previous owner's Buick nailhead transplant. If I recall, it was never said what the original box was, but I'm guessing '32-'34 Ford. When Jake was putting the car back together, one of the major problems to solve was the lack of space for a fan to cool the radiator. This was solved by moving the engine and trans unit back about three inches and building a new firewall that also improved air circulation around the back of the engine. All of this together negated the original box going back in due to exhaust clearance issues. Dropping the later box beneath the rail and back behind the radius rod mount supplied room for everything to work.
    With every bit of respect to Jim Jacobs intended, I always thought it a bit ironic that someone who spent so much of his life soon after so adamant about proper suspension and steering geometry elected to do the steering this way. It was a compromise though, and that can be understood.

5. akbo47

akbo47
    from norcal

I remember as a little kid that they didn't even give Bill Niekamp a chair to sit on when I saw him at this show. I felt sorry for him, he stood there with a look of pride and "I have so many stories to tell please stop for a moment" in his eyes as most of the spectators just walked past him thinking he was just an old guy with an out dated car

6. Cynthia Brink

Cynthia Brink

Frank,
    My dad had that car parked in our garage, he owned it from 1958 to approximately 1969/70.
    I'm sure he would give anything to have her back in his garage!
    CYNTHIA BRINK

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Cynthia Brink

Cynthia Brink

After hanging with a bunch of old school hot rodders yesterday, we all agree on the paint choice;Tom Watson did a beautiful job on her for my Father, Delmer BRINK, back in the day!

kidcampbell71 likes this.