Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '48 HEMI plym mock up pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Nov 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I snapped a bunch of it too at L.A.R.S. a couple of weeks ago!

Now, on the fenders, the one thing I can be completely sure of is that '42 Dodge fenders are NOT the same!!! I had always suspected they were, but then I bought some about 7or8 years ago on one of my summer trips in the Plym north to Washington state from a bitchin' little yard in Mountain Home, Idaho. I carried them around all summer and home later to find that they are about 2" bigger all the way around... Sucked, but if anybody is reading this screwing around with a later Dodge and wants 'em, give me a message and we'll figure it out!

2. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

I'd sell it if I could get what I have in parts. But that's not likely. I really like the car. And, it's not a "need to sell" unless one considers it's either that or the 40 Sedan shown in my avatar. One of 'em gots to go.

3. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

Looks like a killer build!

4. how about a pic of the rear of your car? i want to see how you did the two tone back there.

5. Scotty, this build is bad ass! I can't wait to see it done.

6. me too!!!

7. not much has been going on with the plym, (too many hours at work$$) i did just get the 354 torn down and off to the machine shop. thanks to all the contributors to the hemi tech index, i was able to read up on all the need to know info. as soon as the weather breaks i'll get the frame out from under it and off to my buddy who needs to finish some welding and then off to the powder coater. the plan is to get it drivable this summer to work the bugs out then tear it down in the fall to make it shiny over next winter.

8. Great stance, great combinations staying Mopar and applying the subtleties that a seasoned hotrodder can imagine who's at the top of his game.

9. i'm blushing! lol

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

Very nice!
    Did the bead in the firewall just happen to align, or did you add it?

11. farmer12

farmer12

Looking great so far! Any more pics?

12. thats the factory bead, the firewall was cut and the middle pushed back for hemi clearence

13. no, but the body will be coming off the frame soon, ill get some new pics then.

14. Jeepnjay

Jeepnjay

What are you using for a trans and adapter? Also is that a manual steering rack?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. the trans adapter is from hotheads for a chevy manual trans. the rack is for a pontiac sun fire, same as cavelier, but the manual rack was only offered on the pontiac version.

16. finally some progress! the 354 is off to the machine shop and the body is off the frame. just a basic rebuild on the hemi, isky cam, .030 bore, the usual stuff. i have never had an old car as solid as this one, the floor still has about 50% of the original paint left on it no holes at all. the frame is nice too, the type of rust that almost wipes off. the frame gets a little more welding to finish it up then paint and re-assembly, the body gets some eastwood chassis black then back on the frame. the mill should be back by then. i hope to be driving this thing in early summer.

091 (2).JPG 088 (2).JPG 047.JPG 100.JPG

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    chop job and Rich B. like this.
  17. 48 PLYMOUTH HEMI

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI
    from WV.

Looking real nice. What are you using for a rear end and are you going to put a sway bar on the rear? I got a Cherokee front sway bar today for my 48 and hopefully it will stop the corner "diving". As you may already know, that 354 is quite a bit heavier than the old sih banger.

18. the rear end is a 9" ,it's got a rear bar from an H2, the 354 is a lot lighter than stock ( a lot of aluminum)

19. Very nice job the bumpers are perfect.

20. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

super kool build following it over on the d24 site also,,, any chance you have pics of the front sway bar and mounting on the lower control arms ??and what is it off of ?? getting ready to do a bigger then stock bar on my 40 coupe, that manual rack had to be hard to find,,thanks in advance,,,

21. Nice..love the trick parts you've used to improve on it. The 42 rear fenders really work on it as a "custom rod" style.

22. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

great job, love everything about it! If it were me I'd never lose the hood, let everyone see that beast!!

23. 48 PLYMOUTH HEMI

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI
    from WV.

I like your garage. Nothing like having a good place to work on your hat rod.

24. 48 PLYMOUTH HEMI

48 PLYMOUTH HEMI
    from WV.

I meant to say hot rod.

25. i cant find any good pics i'll try to get some Monday. remind me if i don't. the bar is off a mid/late 90's grand cherokee. the rack is from a pontiac sunfire, cavs didn't offer manual steering. i got from rockauto.com.

26. thanks for the reply's guys. i hope to have some updates real soon.

27. fstfish66

fstfish66
    from eastern pa

ok great when u get a chance ide love to see pics of the front sway bar and mounting on the A arms,,,thanks

28. I'd also like to see those photos. After the hell I had with the Fat Man front end on my coupe, I'm thinking much more along these lines for the wife's sedan. Stock, rebuilt front end with disc brake converson, relocated shocks, and probably a power rack set up for her.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. deto

deto

Nice...

I'm digging the hot rod vibe.

What trans are you running?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  30. i just blew it apart today , i think i have pics on my computer at work. i'll look in the morning.