Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Dick Williams Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Mar 26, 2014.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I remeber looking at it in a mag back in the late 50's,and thinking kind of a cool rod,but stupid Ex I 'd burn hell out of myself on ,= that may be the same thought others had,but if so it may also be why it didn't show up as much. Now though I can see were it's kind of a trade mark of the car,I still don't like the EX that high near the door top,about 6in. lower better,i don't know,but I would of liked it better then

2. Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. And just for a chuckle, I've only ever had one individual order a copy of this plaque and his name was.....yep, Dick (Hanson).

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

"Conversation" sent to you. Thanks!

5. Dan Knoll

Dan Knoll

6. Dan Knoll

Dan Knoll

7. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

Do you still have any to sell?

8. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

9. X-cpe

X-cpe

One of the cars that made me say "Oh yes" the first time I saw a picture of it, and every time since.

lurker mick likes this.
  10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Will it be restored to its original color and wheels? I hope?

HEMI32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Nice to see this thread revived. I missed it the first time. The Dick Williams car has always been one of my favorites. Not sure if I would recognize it in its original color. It looked good enough in the green and brown ink and that is how I picture it.

12. Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton -

Great news!

You & the rest of the team at ROY BRIZIO STREET RODS are definitely the right shop for this job!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Jim Bouchard likes this.
  13. FYI ...

MECUMAUCTIONSLogo.png
    LOT S63 - MONTEREY - Saturday, August 17th 2019
    THE BLACKIE GEJEIAN ESTATE COLLECTION
    1927 FORD DICK WILLIAMS ROADSTER

Mecum Monterey 2019 - Lot S63 (1).JPG
    Mecum Monterey 2019 - Lot S63 (2).jpg
    Mecum Monterey 2019 - Lot S63 (3).jpg
    Mecum Monterey 2019 - Lot S63 (4).jpg
    Mecum Monterey 2019 - Lot S63 (5).jpg
    Engine 221ci Trans 4-Speed Color Red Interior Brown VIN/Serial 14798505

ESTIMATE $300,000 - $400,000

HIGHLIGHTS

• Built by Dick Williams in 1952
    • 1953 America's Most Beautiful Roadster award winner
    • Dick Williams was clocked at 123 MPH in this car at Bonneville
    • According to Blackie Gejeian, this was the first show car built with a tubular frame
    • Smoothed and filled steel body
    • Flathead V-8 mounted as far back as possible to balance the car's weight
    • Offenhauser aluminum heads
    • Four Stromberg 97 carburetors
    • 4-speed manual transmission
    • 1940 Ford rear end
    • Custom driveshaft
    • Polished Kilmont front disc brakes
    • Chrome hairpin front 4-link setup
    • Custom painted 1932 grille shell and headlights
    • Chromed 4-link rear setup with coilovers
    • Custom fabricated roll pan, plate frame and tail lights
    • Chromed alternator, steering box and linkage, headers, oil pan, drop axle, leaf spring, drop spindles, front knee shocks, dash, steering column and wheels
    • VIN ANNOUNCEMENT
    In 1952, a young Dick Williams from Berkeley, California, built a Hot Rod to be as beautiful as it was quick. By the following year, he won the America’s Most Beautiful Roadster award at the fourth annual Oakland Roadster Show with his custom, powder blue lacquer 1927 Ford Model T Roadster. As well as the car’s bodywork, drivetrain and paint was executed, it was what was underneath it that was so historically important. According to Blackie Gejeian, “It was the first car, to my knowledge, that ran a tube frame.” While a custom, tubular frame is common among Hot Rod builds these days, there’s no doubt that it was a rare feature in custom cars when Williams took home the AMBR with his. Williams’ hand-built, chrome-moly tube chassis was featured on the cover of the July 1957 “Rod Builder and Customizer” as a testament to its unique qualities of the era. He also recorded a 123 MPH pass in the roadster on the Bonneville Dry Lakes before it changed hands. By 1974, Dick Falk, from nearby Walnut Creek, California, had acquired the car and painted it a deep maroon. The Street Rod trend of the mid-‘70s was most commonly illustrated by a deep-dish rear wheel and narrow front wheel combination, dramatically accentuated by wide, raised white-letter dragster tires. Falk updated the roadster with this very wheel and tire configuration, as well as externally located rear hairpin radius rods and new interior upholstery, while leaving the custom bored and stroked ’48 Mercury flathead V-8, magnesium Halibrand quick-change rear end, hand-formed aluminum belly pan, twin 9.5-gallon fuel tanks and signature Kinmont front drum brake setups untouched. While in Falk’s hands, the roadster made the cover of the December 1974 issue of “Rod Action,” before he painted it Candy Apple Red the following year. Named “A T For 2,” Blackie Gejeian acquired the roadster and, beyond painting the engine block, largely left the car untouched from its Dick Falk configuration. Under Blackie’s care, the roadster has appeared at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance and has been featured in “The Rodder’s Journal,” “Street Rodder,” and “Mobilia” magazines, as well as coffee table books like “Hot Rod Milestones.”

GONE TO A GOOD HOME

Ross & Beth Myers bought the 1927 Ford Dick Williams Roadster off the block, post-sale for $149,600 (including buyers premium).

The Myers “3 Dog Garage” Collection includes the former Frank Mack, Detroit Autorama-winning T, the Spurgin-Giovanine Chevy lakester, and several significant channeled deuces including the ex-Fred Steele ’32, “Ricky Nelson” ’32, Jack Lentz’s “Golden Rod,” the Paul FitzGerald ’32, and the “Kookie Car.” The Dick Williams roadster was a natural for their collection.

Roy Brizio Street Rods will be restoring the roadster back to the way it looked when it won the AMBR in Oakland in 1953, complete with skinny chrome wheels and Powder Blue paint.

Upon completion, the Myers plan to show the restored ’53 AMBR roadster at the GNRS in Pomona.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  14. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

Yes to the way it looked when it won AMBR 53

50Fraud and HEMI32 like this.
  15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ross Myers definitely does them justice.