Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tach or no tach

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by dada, Mar 22, 2015.

1. dada

dada

Thinking of re-doing my 48 ford to 1960 or older custom,what are the thoughts on a column mounted tachometer use it or not ,Using nothing newer that 1960 is my plan.

2. I think in that era a tach generally only showed up on rods/race cars, not customs unless it was built-in a show car. The ones in 'cups' IIRC showed up in the early 60s....

3. ^^^ I think this pretty much sums it up. Some customs show cars got rows of gauges but a column mounted tach was more of a hot rod thing than a custom thing.

4. dada

dada

Thanks guys ,I had taken it out and think got to thinking,I should never ever think

5. dada

dada

Crazy Steve like your car mine is a 1948 long door coupe.chopped 4" in the front and back seams all molded in built back in the late 80's, White interior all red exterior , Heater delete car Love the old fat fender'd fords Radio hid in the glove box.

6. I love the overall look of the 42-48 dash when it's chromed out, but hate that big ol' clock on the passenger side... So I've got a '51 Merc dash I want to put in mine... ;)

7. donno

donno

I put a Tach in the clock hole on my 46, gonna do it on my 48 Merc also.Got every thing I needed fom RodTec, all VDO electronics.

8. Yeah, but any gauge you put in the clock hole isn't exactly in line-of-sight..... :rolleyes:

fiftiescat likes this.
  9. rockfish

rockfish

Regardless of being era correct, I've always beleived a tach was good for 2/10ths and 5 mph in the quarter. Same for speed equipment stickers in the rear quarter windows.

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. dada

dada

rockfish thought that 5/10 and 1 second Of course being from Texas everything is bigger and faster

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Custom thing or not, I want to know what's going on with my engine. I personally couldn't imagine building a car, hot rod or custom, without a tach. Looks should def be a consideration, so don't screw a 5" Monster Tach to the dash, but I see no issue with a nice chrome cup and period/period styled tach. Here's a pic of mine.

Attached Files:

12. Please don't use a tach on a custom. HRP

13. I'm thinking of installing a shift light in the dash, behind a 'shift' lens. Unobtrusive, like a turn signal or high beam indicator. That will at least keep you from blowing it up.... LOL

14. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

I say do what you want. I'm also a big fan of knowing exactly what my engine is doing.