Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car lifts off stands when I compress control arms??

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by thechondro, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Is this normal ? The springs are compressed with a summit racing coil spring compressor. Just makes me nervous when it's off of the stands like that. What am I doing wrong? Sorry if this is a repost ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427389734.979684.jpg p ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427389806.250263.jpg

2. Do I need to compress the springs more? Kinda freaks me out with a cheap spring compressor. I just figured I'm not gonna use it much after this.

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Is there an engine in there? Try getting some 1" threaded rod and make some washers/straps to span the coil spring seats. Run the nuts down on the t-rod and compress the spring until the ball joint fits it's hole. Use some never seize on the threaded rod so it doesn't gall the threads.
    Does the sway bar go over the lower control arm? Not usually.

Texas57 likes this.
  4. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I don't know about the other guys, but I'd need to see a photo from further away, just how your jack stands are positioned...

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

we had the same issue in a 59 chevy pickup, camaro clip and we got new ball joints for it. tried putting the spring compressor on it and we couldn't get it compressed enough to go back up in there... we ended up putting the tractor bucket on the frontend and pushing it down to get the spindles back in place with the spring in.

SakowskiMotors likes this.
  6. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Chain your floor jack to the frame thru the axle on floor jack. This will help.

7. mjlangley

mjlangley
    from SE MI

^^^ The load generated by compressing the spring is greater than the weight of the frame, so it's lifting.

Make the frame heavier or prevent it from moving...

8. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

yes - thats normal with a bare frame and/or no motor.....use a better compressor and chain the spring to the frame as a safety in case the jack slips and the spring flys out......speaking of chain, 1-shots idea above sounds good too...

9. vwdave30

vwdave30

Get a couple of fat buddies to come stand on the frame

DrJ and SakowskiMotors like this.
  10. This is exactly what I did when I did my Ford front coils with no engine. One guy in the engine bay, one on the front bumper.

11. Cut a coil off the spring;):rolleyes:

Spoggie likes this.
  12. no...heat it with a torch..it's faster!!!!:p

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

The chain around the frame attached to the floor jack front axle is the easiest way I've been able to get it accomplished.

flux capacitor likes this.
  14. Great minds think alike!!:D

AB6DO likes this.
  15. Yup. No motor in the car. I don't remember how I got the last one ona lot of sound help here. I think I'm gonna try to chain the jack to the frame. Should I take the compressor off?

16. Hmmm.maybe I'll stop by the McDonald's down the street and find a couple of fat chicks. There's no shortage in my town. Lol

vwdave30 likes this.
  17. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Chain it down, don't take off the compresser till the ball joint is connected.

18. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Long ago an old guy showed me how to put a tire iron or crow bar from underneath the lower control arm through the hole so it acts as an extension of the control arm. Then you can jack up on the bar which extends out from the end of the control arm giving you a little more mechanical advantage. Without the engine in it, the chain method is best--take it slow.

19. CadMad

CadMad

You need. . . WH_fat_girls.jpeg

thechondro and vwdave30 like this.
  20. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

That gal on the right is a lightweight.

Spoggie likes this.
  22. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Just need more weight. You could stack a few bags of ready-mix concrete or, something similar.on the front x member.

23. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Maybe I'm missing something here, but can we revisit the theory of a spring compressor? It literally compresses the spring, without being attached to the car - frame or otherwise. Under that assumption it should be an independent process. If the car is on jackstands that are holding up the frame, you don't need a chain or any other thing to "hold the frame down" engine or no engine.

If the problem is that you can't connect the lower ball joint to the spindle, then you don't have the spring compressed far enough with the spring compressor. I don't like messing with coil springs by compressing anything with a jack. I've seen one go through a buddy's chest. Use the spring compressor correctly, and you don't have an issue.

Mike

belair and chalkboard like this.
  24. Finally - a use for FAT girls !

Oldmics

25. shadams

shadams

I went to autozone and rented their spring compressor, the shoe type, and it was MUCH easier than the type you are using. Was able to get the spring compressed enough where I didnt even need a jack to bolt it all together. Was kind of a pain to get the shoe out of the spring afterwards though, had to use a pry bar to seperate the spring coils enough to pull it out...dont slip and bust you face on the frame like I did....

images.jpg

26. I believe Mike is correct. If you are just compressing the spring, it should have no effect on the frame whatsoever. Something is amiss. Hows about a few more pics of whats going on.

Texas57 likes this.
  27. I remember hearing those autozone ones aren't the safest for this. Am I wrong?

28. WH_fat_girls.jpeg It's going to take a long time to get that picture out of my mind....more then I wanted to see.

Bill

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015