Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby"

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 6, 2015.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

"The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby"

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

Read the book several times and still have a copy. A copy comes with this compilation of hot rod records from Rhino. You get 4 CD's, the book, fuzzy dice, Mooneyes keychain and decal sheet in a box resembling an AMT model kit.
    51ZDDZG3gkL.jpg

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've read the book.In fact,I've read most things he's written and love his take on life,art,and society. Wolfe is credited with introducing the terms statusphere, the right stuff,radical chic, the Me Decade,trophy wife and "social x-ray" into the English lexicon.In fact,I think I'll head over to the bookcase to see what Wolfe book I'll be reading this weekend....thanks for the heads up,Mr. Ukrop. ;)

4. Torchie

Torchie

Great writing then. Still great writing now......
    Torchie

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Tom Wolfe's book is probably one of the best reads relating to the era. Some would say he gave legitimacy to the hot rod/custom car culture movement in the eyes of "citizens" and I would agree.

6. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Yes, a great read - thanks for the reminder, think I'll dig out the book and read it again. Another story worth reading in that collection of essays is "The Last American Hero" about Junior Johnson, which I think spawned that Jeff Bridges film some years later?

Regards

Jon'.

7. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Ronnie Camp ended up really pissed at Barris as I recall ( Its been a long time since I read the book) and parked his car in failing paint outside a car show to showcase Barris' "crappy" paint job that didn't last .There was also a really cool section on "Jersey Girls"

8. froghawk

froghawk

Great post about a great book. Thanks.

As has been mentioned the essay on Junior Johnson and NASCAR is excellent. The one on record producer Phil Spector and his "Wall of Sound" is also very memorable. I'll have to dig my old paperback out for a re-read now!

9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't read much, but when I do....
    I read books about hot rods, Ed Roth, and mid-century happenings in the Beatnik world!
    Tom Wolfe's writing style makes me smile, and if you haven't read any of his works, you ought to.

flamingokid and Fly'n Kolors like this.
  10. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

stay thirsty my friend (I could't help it)

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  11. catdad49

catdad49

Been reading (other than auto related) more things lately. Seems as though I have many more ahead of me. Your style and now, your subjects are growing all the while. Keep them coming, Carp.

J.Ukrop likes this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Wolfe was the first person from the "square" world to look at guys like Barris, Roth, Starbird and the rest and say, if there is such a thing as art in this world, these guys are artists.

This "art movement" had been going on in plain sight for 10 years with "exhibits" at armories and parking lots across the country but nobody noticed before Wolfe.

He had a lot of insights, and first hand descriptions that are especially valuable as those of an outsider with a fine arts degree.

He is also one of the giants of the New Journalism and a top ranked author whose books have been made into Hollywood blockbusters more than once.

Shrink likes this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

Read it a bunch of times, just sold a big stack of books, Wolfe, Hunter Thompson, Palahniuk etc.

14. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'm working my way through the PDF version that was linked. Great read so far. It's one I'd always heard of, but never had the presence of mind to pick up when I was out looking for something to read.