Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Y Block valve cover adapters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Yeah,I know it's a strange question but lately I have been increasingly enamored with the look of the early T-Bird valve covers and was wondering does anyone offer a adapter to use these on a 302?

This is what is currently on the wagon.

[​IMG]

Or is there a valve cover made for a sbf with the Thunderbird logo? HRP

[​IMG]

2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I dont think anybody has marketed a set of adapters...I dont think there is a large demand.

However, adapters have been done before, you could make your own:
    http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1212cct-classic-y-block-covers/

My opinon, get your hands on a set of cal custom finned covers for the 302. Youll fool alot of people who dont know anything about y-blocks with the t-bird covers, however every y-block guy will see them stick out like a sore thumb, with the distributor sitting out front on the sbf

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

anything is possible if you want it bad enough

4. Just mill the powered by ford off of your 320 valve covers and glue the thunder hawk insignia on there. :D

volvobrynk, Texas Webb and Hnstray like this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like Benno's thinking here. The only thing is, it would take a lot of 'gumption', or something akin, to cut up a set of real early T-bird covers to get the emblem. There are some body emblems on various years of T-birds that may be close enough to satisfy your desire for the look. As Benno suggested, milling the fins on the SBF covers would provide a 'home' for the emblems.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It looks like the over all foot print of each is so different that sitting a y block cover on your 302 would result in it hitting your rockers and etc before it would sit down nice.

I'd do similar to what Beaner said and buy some finned covers for the 5.0 and mill down the center for the thinderbird badge which shouldn't be all that hard to source and glue it on.

I personally like the y block covers hold downs being on top. I wouldn't bother with making it so that the cover was actualy held on that way but if I'm milling fins down anyways I might knock those two spots down, drill a centering hole and then from the back side roset weld the fastern hardware on .

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I would probably use a body emblem or something before hunting down nice valve covers to cut up

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You could just have Tim McMaster build you a healthy Y Block and swap it in Danny ;) :D

Otherwise I like the adapters posted in post #2.

volvobrynk and rob lee like this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The link posted by Ynottayblock shows the fabrication of adapters for the T-bird cover.
    Surprisingly, the cover's 'footprint' is much closer than I would have guessed too. Just
    goes to show, you gotta take a look see.

Ray

10. That is why the hot rod gawds don't let me have some of the finer things to be had I would just cut it up in an effort to make it better. ;)

I do promise if I ever lay my hands on a Duisenberg I'll be gentle with it. :D

volvobrynk and Hnstray like this.
  11. I see these swaps on the late Ford motors and have one question... How do you add oil? Going to pull a valve cover at every oil change?

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Well the yblock covers are held on by two nuts...so not that big of a deal really

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, if one is going to that much trouble already, why not just find a suitable place on the intake manifold or front cover and tig in a bung with one of those threaded and 'o' ringed caps and call it done? :D

Ray

14. Some small block fords ( maybe all of them) have the fill on the top of the cam/water pump cover.

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Early ones do..........I had forgotten that. Thanks! :)

Ray

16. There isn't any place on the intake except behind the carb... I've looked. It's not a good place, as the lifter galley isn't baffled and you'll get a lot of blowby out the filler. Beaner mentioned the cam cover, yes the early SBF had a front cover fill. Downside to these is only the '62-63 motors had the filler tube fitted, the '64-65 cover would have to be bored out for the tube as Ford moved the oil fill to the valve covers. This cover also uses the early aluminum passenger-side-outlet-only water pump, the later pumps don't fit. The water pumps aren't as robust either, although they do give a nice weight savings.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Steve.......no blowby out the filler. It's capped with screw in cap....in my suggested scenario.
    The water pump thing is why I suggested tigging in a bung, assuming use of a later cam cover.
    Although, I hadn't thought through the whole crankcase ventilation flow thing. There's a way.

Ray

18. I have the joneses for a pair of the T-bird covers on a sbc in a Ford but I haven't thought through the crankcase ventilation system yet. And since I don't have the T-bird covers eitherI haven't determined if the mounting holes will work. The adapter plate is the simple part...

Nice valve covers are nice valve regardless of whether they match everyone's expectation of "correct".

19. I know where HRP is coming from... There really isn't many 'vintage' appearing SBF valve covers out there other than the Cal Customs, Weiands, or Offys (if you can find them, and they don't clear some rocker arms) and all the 'Cobra' style versions (same issue with some rockers); most everything else is too 'billety' looking. DOVE makes an interesting 'race' cover but it's $$$, Cobra Valley has a FE-appearing cover but the castings are rough and more $$$. I've got a set of the same covers HRP has to change out the Edelbrocks on my avatar, but they're not much improvement. There's a business opportunity out there for someone....

The crankcase ventilation is a fairly major problem. The '62-63 motors had the PVC installed in behind the carb on the intake manifold, but Ford found that they sucked too much oil out of the motor plus you got condensation in the rocker covers due to poor air exchange. Probably the best 'mechanical' solution for a 'vintage' cover swap is a set of FE pent-roof covers on adaptors (all readily available from Cobra suppliers) if you like the look.

20. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

Socal speed shop made a set for a car they built, Saw it in a mag, Good luck, Lucky

21. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That probably isn't true. Back when I was planning to use a SBF (before I saw the light and switched to the YBlock :)) I contacted him about getting a set. He said they were not making them and had thought on doing so.
    I don't believe he ever did get to making some to sell.

23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The guy that makes them is a member here,sadly the HAMB upgrade killed off the 12 pages of build pictures and members cars that was in the 1952-59 Ford Social Group :( :( But I did save one in my file for you to check out,maybe someone will remember who it is. fake y-block.jpeg

24. U-235

U-235

I'm using plain chrome covers with the Thunderbird Special decals on my 351 Windser . Course it doesn't fool many Y-Block guys....but there aren't that many around. You'd be surprised at the number of people who are fooled.

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

26. I believe either Street Rodder or Hot Rod did an article on adapters. Made by The Hot Rod Garage in Denton, MD.

27. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

the link for that is in post #2

28. porky55

porky55

It was also in a Rod & Custom

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. That's guy's..Especially you Jeff,I have set a PM to Koolmercuryman,,he is making them.

The Hamb comes through again! HRP

30. I am not trying to fool anyone,I just think the old T Bird valve covers look great. HRP

klawockvet and Do it Over like this.