Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Double Deuces.....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MoboMac, Mar 2, 2015.

1. MoboMac

MoboMac
    from Wet coast

on a VERY early hemi.....

Was thinking about an offy 2x2 intake on my 55 Red Ram....

This will be a progressive set-up....and have concerns that the front cylinders might run lean...in cruise/driving mode......due to the primary carb being at the back of the engine...

Any input is appreciated....

2. alchemy

alchemy

Most 2x2 systems are not run progressive. Why are you doing it?

3. MoboMac

MoboMac
    from Wet coast

I like the 2 bbl. fuel economy.....and want the kick of a 4bbl.....

I'm gonna drive this...ALOT.

I know....just do the 4bbl.....but it's NOT the same on visuals....

4. alchemy

alchemy

When you are running the 2x2 hooked up together, you jet down the fuel, so your MPG won't be too much worse than the single carb. Until you get into the higher RPM's.

I have a flathead Ford with two 97's hooked up straight. It doesn't sip gas, but it doesn't gulp it either. But my manifold has no way to allow fuel from a single carb to power the engine. It needs both as each port is only fed from one carb. No plenum that connects them all together.

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You are asking for trouble, if you want to run progressive linkage and run off one 2 barrel carb, go to 3X2 with progressive linkage and be done with it.

6. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I am a big fan of running 2x2's on a progressive IF they are set up correctly. Meaning one carb dialed in as a primary, and the other as a true secondary carb, I.E. no idle circuit, choke, etc. Jetting and tuning is critical as well as manifold design to ensure that some cylinders aren't too lean or too fat. Typically the manifold needs a fairly large plenum under the carb to get good fuel distribution between the cylinders. Done right, it should run very well.

Good Luck.

7. alchemy

alchemy

How about a pic of the intake so we can see the plenum configuration?

8. MoboMac

MoboMac
    from Wet coast

This is the one I have in mind.....
    Was also thinking of going with 2gc Rochesters... (small venturi)....as I have carbs...parts...and jets.... offy 1186.JPG

9. I would think the carbs spaced that far apart would create a lean condition. The only 2x2 progressive systems I have ever seen are done when the carbs are close. Such as when running an adapter to run dual 2 bbs on a 4 bbl intake.

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Absolutely, that appears it would be a nightmare, trying to get that to work well with progressive linkage.

11. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

If you're worried about fuel economy why run two 2's in the 1st place. You're just screwing around! Run them hooked direct or a 4 barrel or one 2! Trying to run two progressive 2's separated as far as the example manifold is bad engineering. You will starve the part of the engine farthest from the "running" carb.

12. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Didnt 2x4 corvettes run progressive?