Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Richard Zadroga’s 1951 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Andreas Stremitzer, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Andreas Stremitzer

Andreas Stremitzer

Hi to every one!
    my name is Andy and I’m a 50 year old Austrian who just bought Richard Zadroga’s 1951 Chevy.

I would like to bring it back to it’s original beauty to the state when it was painted in red.
    Do to so I I’m trying to get as much as possible information’s about this piece of history.

Especially on the custom parts used on this car. Any information will be highly appreciated.

Due to the help of Rik from the CCC Forum I found already out that the grille is the 57 Corvette unit, but then with extra grille teeth added.
    Does the original grill have different sizes and also left and right once or are their only one size used on this grill (at least it look’s to me 23 teeth one size but it’s difficult to detect on the pictures I have)?

Rik also told me that according an old Customs Illustrated (the old mag) the scoop trim pieces are from a 1956 Cadillac. But he is not sure about that though he thinks that they look like 1954 Mercury items. Has maybe anyone more info’s on this and can send me some pictures how they look like and where to get them?

Sorry for these maybe stupid sounding questions but I have only European cars in my collection till now, and this is my first US car and I want to make it as original as possible.

Thanks for your help and best regards from Austria

Andy

Attached Files:

2. 'Mo

'Mo

Hi, Andy. I am glad you have the car, and that it will be restored to its earlier version.

The Corvette grille teeth are not only left and right, but also different sizes, with the last three teeth on each end progressively smaller. They are available in repro. Check this link for a little more info.
    http://grilleteeth.com/shop/item.asp?part=1031

EDIT: Correction. Teeth are NOT left and right. See next post.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  3. atomickustom

atomickustom

The teeth are not left and right (they just flip) but they are different sizes. That car appears to have all "middle" teeth, the biggest ones. Putting one together should be easy if you don't mind using repro parts. I have that grille in my '53 and they are very high quality for new repops.

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

I believe the turn signals may be 1959 Cadillac taillights without the red pointy lenses?
    Looking closely it also appears that the center bar has been lengthened? If so you will need two of them to make it but the seams can just be hidden beneath two teeth. You'll probably have to measure carefully to tell for sure and I may be wrong.

5. Torchie

Torchie

I agree with atomickustom in regards to the turn signals. I believe that I read that some where as well.
    Good to see another one brought back to life.
    Torchie

6. Rathbone

Rathbone

I was the under-bidder on that car. Good snipping! :mad: :p :D

7. Looks to be an east coat car? What's winning bid for something like that? Was it all together?

8. Andreas Stremitzer

Andreas Stremitzer

Hi,

thanks to everybody for helping me to identify the custom parts originally used on this car. My actual Status due to help of you and some other customs enthusiast are as follow:

1. The grill is done with 23 teeth from a 57 corvette and the size is all the same and obviously all are "middle" teeth
    2. The park and turn signals are made out of 1959 Cadillac Tail Light Bezels . Does someone knows which round clear lenses will fit into this bezels ore are they handmade?
    3. The taillights need to be 1956 Chrysler 300B units ( they seems to be Mercury units now) .
    Any idea where to get these lenses, unfortunately I haven’t found them on the internet.

I still struggle to identify the scoop trim pieces. According an old Customs Illustrated (the old mag) the scoop trim pieces are from a 1956 Cadillac Some people told me that they look like 1954 Mercury items. Until know I haven’t found something which looks similar.

@ bob sorry for overbidding but I wanted this car desperately

@ loveoftiki according to some magazines the car was built by Enfield Auto Body in Lindhurst NJ

I haven’t seen the car personally till yet while I’m still in Austria. I will be in Florida on the 21th of March to see it. Scott the former owner has done a lot of work to the car but there is still a lot to do to bring it back to the original look (actual state see pictures, winning bid was $6.600)

Thanks so far for your inputs and I’ looking forward for some further help on this.

Thanks Andy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  9. Great score and good luck with the rebuild.

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Great buy! Hoping you are successful with the rebuild/restoration of this car, I'm from NJ, and follow a bit of the historical cars from my area, but wasn't totally familiar with this one. But I know guys who did. If you have any detail questions about it, I might be able to contact my guys and find out, but it will take some time. You might try contacting 00Mack, here on the HAMB. He is another guy well versed in Jersey/New York customs.

11. Andreas Stremitzer

Andreas Stremitzer

Hello Chopolds,

I would be very interested to gain as much information as possible. So if you know some guys who know more about this car I would really appreciate it.

Due to the help here and Rik from the CCC Forum I’m getting pieces together. What I’m still trying to find some answers is on the to identify the scoop trim pieces for the rear quarter panels as already mentioned.

But any info’s and photos from this car would be perfect.

Thanks Andy

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

If the original lenses are from a 1956 Chrysler, then any model will do - the lens from a 300B is the same as every other 1956 Chrysler. Imperial is not the same.

George Laurie in Australia makes the most beautiful reproduction Mopar lenses. However, he is notoriously slow and difficult to reach. If you want to give him a shot, here is a link to some of his work and contact info: http://www.ch300imp.com/laurie.htm

13. Hello Andy! Nice project you got going on there.
    Please keep us posted on your progress.

Viele Gruesse von einem Niederoesterreicher im amerikanischen Exil.

14. Great score! What part of Florida will you be in?? No shortage of cool Customs here.
    JT
    PM me if you will be near Orlando.

15. Andreas Stremitzer

Andreas Stremitzer

Hallo Martin,
    we Austrians are everywhere ;-)!

At the moment I’m trying to get all missing parts together which is a quite a challenging task. But with the help of the Members of this Forum and Rik Hoving it’s real fun.

As soon as I have the car in Austria I will post the project on restoration.

As the car will leave the US End of March I’m trying to get as much parts as possible.

Has anyone an idea where to get 1956 Chevrolet Wagon & Nomad Rear Bumper Guards? I could only find them from 1955 but I was told they are not the same??!

Thanks Andy.

@ Martin Schoene Gruesse aus Pertoldsdorf (Ich wohne genau an der Stadtgrenze)

16. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

[​IMG]

Hello, congratulation for your Chevy, i hope you will restore this wonderfull custom in original build....

17. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Those bumper guards are a bitch to find, and Nobody seems to repop them. Keep a vigilant watch on eBay and the classifieds here.

Good luck on your restoration and keep us updated!

18. atomickustom

atomickustom

Nice buy!
    As for the rear bumper guards, swap meets here in the US would be your best shot, eBay is your second-best. Try some 55-57 Chevy forums. They won't be cheap; I have '54 wagon rear guards on my '53 and they cost more than my rechromed bumper.
    I will keep an eye out but won't expect to stumble across any.

19. Hi Andreas,

nice car, great project, good luck!
    Greetings from another Austrian (bin gerade von Wien nach OÖ gesiedelt.)

Lukas

20. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'll be following along. Hope to see progress soon as soon as possible. :)

21. Rathbone

Rathbone

It's time for an update. Show me what I missed out on!

slv63 likes this.
  22. Andreas Stremitzer

Andreas Stremitzer

Hi Guys

the car is finally in Austria and I'm still collecting customs parts for it.

While I have moved my company to a new place I will probably start this project over the winter time.

But I promise a soon as I will start it, I’ll will post updates.

Thanks for the intreast.

Andy

'Mo likes this.
  23. Rathbone

Rathbone

What kind of business do you have?

24. Nice purchase I look forward to following along with your restoration. Great to see another custom being brought back to its former glory!

25. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I have been a custom car fanatic since 1956 when I started collecting car magazines as a teenager. Do you know when the car was built? In the 1950s using 54 Mecury fender skirt teeth were very popular. inserts to use in scooped rear fender flairs such as on your car. I honestly have never heard of 56 Cadillac pieces used for the same purpose. I blew up your picture to get a closer look but it looked like there was pinstriping surrounding the teeth and the picture was too grainy. I would bet money they are from a Mercury such as on the Merc picture attached.
    54 Merc_3.jpg