Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Zip riser, and the Huge difference it made

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boolajosh, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

So I've read numerous threads about the Zip riser, However I never ready anywhere where someone posted the before and after of their heating issue. So here we go!

My model a coupe with a SBC liked to run hot, too hot! If sitting at idle for 20 mins, it'd get up to 220° atleast. That wasn't going to cut it here in SoCal with all of our traffic. So I finally bite the bullet and bought the riser, and the nice GM bleeder screw.

Did a test fit, cut off the brackets for the AC, and sent it off to polish, and it looked 100times better.

After installing the Zip, i was able to swap out my 15" fan for a 17", and it sat so much better in the radiator. Now, to test it. After a 20min idle, it only got up to 165°! That's a 55° difference!

So if anyone is having heating issues with a SBC, I highly recommend the Zip, and getting it polished, because ya gotta always look cool with open hood sides!

Attached Files:

Countn'Carbs and ROCKER77 like this.
  2. Cool!

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Boolajosh, you wouldn't happen to be Brian Bauer's son, would you?

4. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

Yep. Thats my Dad!

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha! One of the nicest guys to ever walk the planet! Say hi to him for Chip in Phoenix for me!

I saw the Monrovia tag, and Charlie Summerall was just telling me about your coupe a week ago at So-Cal in Phoenix. I put two and two together pretty easily sometimes....

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Dumb ?? These remind me of OEM parts from other Chevy engines. Any thoughts? Gary

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why did you remove the A/C bracket ? Now you can't hang your Vintage Air unit anywhere. The Zip looks really good.

8. Good deal. Not really obvious in your engine compartment. Sure is a lot better looking than an electric fan would be.
    Another part that comes to mind is the thing that goes on the firewall to relocate the steering shaft.

9. I cut all the brackets off mine, and plan on starting the engine for the first time in about a month.
    Did you use the cast iron pump or the HD aluminum one? I used the cast iron one and made my own "be cool" impeller cover thingy. Here's the aluminum pump if anybody is curious...(photo is not my engine). image.jpg

10. A search here and you find several folks that have had good luck with the zips. I'm in the process of installing one.I made my be cool thingy from a 3 1/2 inch J box cover. Trimed just a smidge.

11. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

I removed the AC bracket for the simple fact that i will not be running AC..

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Exactly what does a zip riser do? Never heard of it.

13. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

I ran the Aluminum riser, just so it could be polished. I wanted it to look as good as possible, plus it blends in with all the other polished aluminum on the motor

14. .............Moves the fan up higher to better center it in the radiator.

15. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thanks.

16. Is your by-pass hose formed, or were you able to make those bends with regular hose?

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Technically it moves the water pump up higher which in turn moves the fan up higher since the fan runs on the snout of the water pump. :)

18. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

Its actually formed. Something my dad had laying around, after shortening it a little, it looks like it was made to be a bypass

19. Deuce Roadster taught me about the zips,,the photo shown above is his engine.

I have a zips on both my deuces. HRP

20. BIG PORT JIMMY 6

BIG PORT JIMMY 6

Nothing works like one when you need one, have ran several over the years. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

21. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

He makes one for early Hemi also.

22. missysdad1

missysdad1

I have a Snow White riser on my coupester - pretty much the same thing - and have zero cooling issues, even here in Texas where it gets almost as hot as Phoenix...which is pretty hot. Ya just have to remember to "burp" it once in a while to get rid of the air which accumulates in the uppermost area of the impeller housing.

23. Boolajosh

Boolajosh
    from Monrovia

There is one difference, and that is the Snow White uses an Opel water pump, whereas the Zip uses a GM.. makes finding a replacement in a hurry a whole lot easier, especially if you are on the road somewhere

24. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I believe that tilt cab Chevy/GMC trucks used a similar arrangement. Maybe???

25. rfraze

rfraze

Here is one on a BBC. Works great, especially with a shroud. I used the AC bracket to attach the alternator tensioner rod off a Street and Performance mount.
    I do believe there are adapters to put BBC waterpumps on other engines, which might make it possible to put a Zip's on those engines. Highly recommend them.
    PICT0074.JPG

Boolajosh likes this.
  26. donno

donno

Running a Zips riser on both my SBC's. One in a 46 Ford and the other in a 48 Merc. Both have A/C, NEVER a heating problem and I live in Las Vegas. Wouldn't leave home without one.