Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 33 chevy 3w....time for a cool change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 11, 2014.

1. cut and trimmed the carpets to fit. the edges will be bound by the upholsterer.
    Does this look like a days work? DSCF3759.JPG DSCF3760.JPG DSCF3761.JPG

LOU WELLS, TFoch and volvobrynk like this.
  2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It looks damn fine(!), and since I have no feeling of time passing except I get hungry at midday and at evening time, I can't tell you how long it would take me.

But if it took you a day, it might be a day and a half job for the rest of us.

Runnin shine likes this.
  3. thanks, you give me too much credit. i just wanted it to fit tight, my upholsterer will make it look right. i did run the carpet all the way to the back but i forgot to take a photo.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  4. studebaker46

studebaker46

are you a Vietnam vet with ptsd you never sleep.the carpet looks good with the black and white seats Tom

5. not a vet. but i feel better with less sleep:)
    i think when the black and white door panels are in and a pair of white rubber floor mats the interior should really look good

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

You know if this was mine there would be a neat coffee cup holder mounted on that gear shift box. Bob [​IMG]

volvobrynk and Paul B like this.
  7. let's see.....one hand on the wheel, one on the shifter, right and left feet moving up and down.....your right but i think i will put something closer to the seat, out of sight.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. took the seat back and carpet out and marked the carpet edges i want to be bound. i glued some carpet around the battery box. this is like my dad had done it.
    DSCF3764.JPG DSCF3766.JPG i also finished putting the sound deadener on the sheet metal panels.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. man that carpet looks weird in that photo!
    i also made the trim pieces for the kick panels and rear inner quarter

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. I go away for a week and this is it!:rolleyes: Looks Good.:cool:

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. spent all my time plowing snow:rolleyes:........ :D

12. trimmed, fitted and punched holes in the trim pieces for the kick panels. i decided to extend them up along the dash. i trimmed the pieces and slid them along side. once painted they will really finish it off. DSCF3767.JPG DSCF3768.JPG DSCF3769.JPG DSCF3770.JPG DSCF3771.JPG DSCF3772.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. i also welde....i mean glued up some holes in the floor. i opened the holes up to accept the closest dowel sizes i had. cut them flush and added a coat of paint. DSCF3773.JPG DSCF3774.JPG DSCF3777.JPG

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    volvobrynk and TFoch like this.
  14. while the paint was drying i cut the panels for the upholstery around the top of the door. i had marked where the lower panels stopped so they will butt together. these will be wrapped with black vinyl. DSCF3775.JPG DSCF3776.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. DSCF3778.JPG after dinner i glued some carpet to the inside of the under seat storage bin......the same bin i found my Eagles greatest hits cassette last year when i started this project. DSCF3778.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. DSCF3779.JPG the last interior part to figure out is the inside of the rumble lid. i think i will put a panel on the inside and upholster over it. i am thinking of using the old headliner

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. greaser

greaser

Man, you get more done in a day, than I get done in a week,... sometimes a month! Keep it up!!

18. these "little" projects seem to me to take a lot of time. i wanted to get as much of the stuff, on the interior, that i could do. so after i paint it, it will spend less time and money with the upholsterer.

19. i did not get much time to work on it today but i made the two more ribs for the rumble lid so a panel would have support along the sides. had to go back to the bandsaw..... DSCF3781.JPG

20. this actually worked well to do the final trimming.......i did not want to walk back to the table saw..... beverly shear work on wood;):cool: DSCF3780.JPG

TFoch likes this.
  21. here is the panel in place. but it is a tricky piece to finish off. if i wrap the material and glue it along the back side and then bend it to the shape of the lid the fabric will then be loose. i guess i could put the panel on first then try to glue material to it but how do you finish the edge? i want to use the old headliner, it is just big enough, but it has the welting. now that i have the stiff panel in there i could cut glue/screw an abs panel to it. then it will match.
    any thoughts? DSCF3782.JPG

22. one of the last things i needed to get worked out before i take it apart to swop the motor and paint it, is the front of the hood latches. back in the early eighties when i bought the radiator from walker they only made it for the master series, which is wider. i had cut the brackets and pulled them in, but this left no room for the hood latch. i cut some of the rod off and bent it in, then made a small curved piece that it could "catch" on......i did not work well and always popped loose in the front.
    now i decided to make longer latches with a thick enough base plate to thread. it needs to be threaded because there is no room for nuts if the new bracket is in place. i also had to take the rivets that held the bracket that the rod on the back side of the hood went through. this was so i could flip the bracket in the other direction so i could make the bends in the rod inside the radiator, instead of next to it.
    first bracket "mocked" up. DSCF3784.JPG DSCF3785.JPG DSCF3786.JPG

volvobrynk and The37Kid like this.
  23. I have the same radiator in mine and it is tight but with a little tweaking I got it to work. The front was the trickiest like you said. Maybe mine being a Master I might have had a little more room. Nice work getting it to fit.

24. thanks, i finished them both up today, works like the factory intended! took me 30 years but i got it:D. the bracket is threaded, there is no room for nuts. DSCF3790.JPG

25. Do you use a shroud on yours?

26. i also removed the ugly alternator and scrounged up a generator, regulator, and a bracket. the engine compartment is starting to look right. DSCF3789.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. no shroud, always ran cool. never went over 180, no matter how hard i ran it.

28. i am trying to decide wether i leave the screw holes in the hood or weld them up. my dad had to screw the hood closed, by rule, before he could race it at the track.

Attached Files:

29. fenders came back from the blasters, look better than i thought. DSCF3793.JPG

30. here is the panel for the rumble lid, i used the old headliner....not perfect but i like the fact i salvaged a piece of the old interior. ugly? its not permanent.....
    that was the last of the fitting/ repairing, fabricating. now it is time to pull it all apart, get it painted and put the new motor in. DSCF3794.JPG