Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods how was this welded

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Feb 28, 2015.

1. this is the factory weld on the back corners of my '33 chevy coupe. it is a weld that joins the quarter panel to the back window panel. the welds look like they have a ridge that runs along side the weld as tho it had a fixture to keep the weld from spreading.
    so how did the factory do this? DSCF3763.JPG

2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Whoever welded it looks like his first day on the job after dropping out of junior high.

3. really? it's perfect on the other side.

4. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

The factory welds on my 31 look the same.

tb33anda3rd likes this.

5. yeah i have seen it before. look almost formed and poured.

6. Similar to the welds across my 37 Willys front fenders, always wondered about how they were done. JW

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  7. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Welds run over the wood framing also. Must have been done from the outside. Butt welds and just some minor file marks on the surface

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. yes, they made a rabbet in the wood so the weld would not catch it on fire.

9. fordflambe

fordflambe

Ditto on the 31'. I have a 31 2 door and weld seams on rear look just like that...........

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. manyolcars

manyolcars

When the factory did that, they called it "electric welding"

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. What that looks like to me is the burn through from a damned good stick welder running DC with a 6012 rod. You would not believe the amperage and speed that they ran.

pat59, tb33anda3rd and Fender1325 like this.
  12. metal man

metal man

Yea, Ford had something like that around then too. There's a weld on my A coupe quarters that looks just like that.
    I don't know how it was done, but I imagine it being similar to the process used to weld band saw blades. Both pieces forced together and heat added via electricity simultaneously( no filler rod). Just guessing.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, wondering if it might be a sort of "electro-forging" process. (though Ford or Chevy may not have called it that)

Check out this article about the "Chicago Schwinns" for more insight on this. They turned out millions of bicycle frames from this factory and it all came through the front door as flat sheet! http://sheldonbrown.com/varsity.html

turboroadster and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

My '29 Ford Steelback Fordor has the same type weld. I haven't taken the paint off to see if the outside had lead. I've always wondered what the setup looked like that held all the wire wheel spokes in place on the rim when it got sapped and became a wheel. Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. metal man

metal man

That's cool, Kevin . Nice drawings of how those pieces were made.

16. My 37 Willys fenders are the same with all of the compound curves it looks like the fenders were made in 2 pieces and then welded together in this manner, but on my 38 Willys fenders they are stamped in one piece. Now on the outside of the fender it is leaded where the seam would have been, so i'm guessing that they still had to finish the fender so it would be smooth so they could apply the paint. When it come down to it they did some awesome work to build the older cars, which i think is pretty cool.

tb33anda3rd and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  17. i think you are right the processes must have been the same. it described 3/16 slag which is about the max i see. very interesting!

18. I have seen welds that look just like that on early vw parts on the front side you can not see it .

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. stimpy

stimpy

electric resistance welding , like how they weld pipe seams its 2 big rollers one on each panel as the panel is forced together the welding takes place in the area between the 2 radiuses of the roller face only ( path of least resistance ) its a straight line across between the rollers

afaulk, turboroadster and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Neat how much interesting stuff comes out of these threads.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    turboroadster and tb33anda3rd like this.
  22. I got welds like that on the side of cowl on 35 Chevy.
    Not sure if this has anything to do with this thread, but I had a 1929 Hudson Super Six engine, that was used as a welder in a mill.
    There was a big ass handle at the back of bell housing, and behind starter motor. When pushed foreward, it engaged starter which powered up welder. Sold engine, but kept the handle.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  23. It looks very like electrical resistance welding. The banana shaped tubular suspension arms on a Citroen 2CV are made in the same way. My understanding is that it was a process pioneered by Citroen for the 2CV

24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I dont see anything special about the weld?
    It looks like when we put backing on the backside of heavy plate, and welded it from one side. Pulled the backing off and wire brushed it. Before we welded the rest up. But I might be wrong.

Do you have any more pictures?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425212922.008767.jpg

You can get rods that can be re polarized, so you have + on car and ground on rod. That means your rod. Takes up a lot of heat.
    And then you can stick weld thin plate.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  25. Fender1325

Fender1325

Looks like burn through to me

26. it does look like it was backed up. that is the only photo.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Allmotor

Allmotor

Interesting question, I also have wondered how the welds were done. I have built a lot of Chevys and they have all been like pictured in orig post. I do know the wooden frame was constructed first and then the sheet metal was installed, which leads me to believe the welding was done with the wood behind the metal. The welds were very good, as I never any signs of lead on the welds.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. 270ci

270ci

I have wondered about those body panel welds myself, as they appear both my 33 Chevy coupe as well as my 54 Chevy Delivery where the roof panels are joined to the side panels. Whatever it was, they were still using the process 21 years later.

IMO, the welding was done before the panels were tacked to the wood frames on the 33, and the rabbet groove in the wood was just to clear the inside weld so it wouldn't interfere with fit up.

It sure has that consistent "electrical resistance" look to it, like joining the ends of a band saw blade, but maybe someone who's seen it at the factory will chime in and let us know.

tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  29. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I saw a video from 1934 not sure if it was GM or Ford but where they showed the sedan rear body panel being fused together with high voltage all in a couple seconds with shower of sparks. The worker jigged it up,touched the two panels together and arched them together. Sounds unbelievable ,I may be wrong but that is what I saw. No it wasn't the spot welds ,it was a continuous weld. Correct me if I am wrong.

pitman and tb33anda3rd like this.
  30. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

I agree, Low Lid Dude. I've heard it referred to as a "flash weld" and is very similar to the method used to make band saw blades only on a larger scale. No filler metal is used, the edges are consumed as they are forced together when the resistance weld is accomplished. It is a "joint specific" process, peculiar to just that specific joint, expensive to tool for, but cheap considering the volume of bodies made in mass production manufacturing.

tb33anda3rd likes this.