Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Removing gear shift lever in model a

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dino 64, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Hi everyone, I'm just about ready to take the body off the chassis of my 31, 3 window coupe. I'm down to removing the gear shift lever and I punched out the drift pin but the lever didn't feel like it wanted to come out with damaging something. Can anyone give me an idea on how to remove it? I want to sell the original chassis as complete as possible, so I want to be able to reassemble it after the body is removed. Thanks in advance for any advice. Everyone was very helpful when I inquired about removing the body. Much appreciated.

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

You just take he six bolts out and remove the whole top.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. ^^^^^ what I did,then bolt it back on.

4. The 1931 3 window coupes are a little rare (assuming it is an original one), sure wish you wouldn't rod it. Before you modifying have you checked out what it is worth? That may change your mind.

Charlie Stephens

5. verde742

verde742

kinda looks like a post, maybe a 5 window?
    just sayin...... really doubt its a 3 wind-er

6. Mac VP

Mac VP

Put it in neutral, unbolt the shifter housing, and lift the housing & lever up as one. The lever must be removed separately by carefully releasing a spring loaded retainer from the underneath side. There is a little tool available for this job.

7. spooler41

spooler41

Be sure you put the pin back in before you unbolt the top cover/shift tower.

........................... Jack

8. ^^^^What Mac says, and in the alternative, don't get the special tool and waste hours and patience on that shifter spring. Ask me how I know.

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

As fare as I know, and that ain't a lot, the only 3 window 31 model belong to Edsel, and was a one off. Build for him. There was a copy made by a body guy and that's all. I think HRP posted pics ones. In a barn, was one I primer, that had a 31 License plate that matched that off Edsel's. So cool

If it's a 31 it could be a wrong title, and a 32? Right?

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

If it's the one in the avatar, look closely - it's a 5-window.
    (Maybe it'll be a 3 window when he's done with it :D)

volvobrynk likes this.