Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The tale of two '32 roadsters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Dec 18, 2014.

1. The gages are to kill for.........I really dig the dash now.

2. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Those gauges are killer....but I think I have workbench vise envy!! Dude, that thing is a beast.

brEad likes this.
  3. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Last week, I wrapped up the dash by welding some bungs to the back side to hold some switches and a power outlet, then I crated it up and sent it to Darryl.

[​IMG]

Since I set the car up with a dash tunnel for the old setup, I needed to address the firewall since it was upholstered around the tunnel. I made a simple bracket that bolts in place of the tunnel, and the shortened choke rod it going to fall inside the far right hole. I'm going to paint it a low gloss black so it doesn't stand out.

[​IMG]

I need to drill the passenger head for a capillary tube since the car is going to have dual temp gauges, so I started to disassemble a few things to make it easier. I pulled the manifold, upper hoses, and distributor to make some room, plus give me the opportunity for a good cleaning. I disassembled the distributor, lubed it, and replaced the points and condenser. I also checked the valve lash while I had access (it wasn't making noise), which checked out just fine.

[​IMG]

Since the car has been sitting for almost a year without running, I disassembled the carbs for a little preventative maintenance. I also replaced the rubber hoses, and fab'd some new synchronized throttle linkage.

[​IMG]

I blasted and cleared my thumb clamps, regasketed the fuel pump and stand, and buttoned the manifold up with my coil bracket and coil.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm hoping to get the intake back on this weekend after working the passenger head, then it's onto the tach drive bracket to finish up the engine bay.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. Beautiful work, as always. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

rotten ron likes this.
  5. Roadsir

Roadsir

Nice work. I was at the parts store this week picking up some 5/16 rubber fuel line and asked if they had anything besides worm clamps. He came back with new high pressure fuel injection hose clamps that look like yours in the pic but have a hex screw instead of the thumb screw.

6. alchemy

alchemy

[QUOTE="Roadsir, ..... but have a hex screw instead of the thumb screw.[/QUOTE]

McMaster-Carr has all kinds of thumb screws to replace hex screws with.

7. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I thought I'd put a few photos of our roadster back together. We wrapped up reassembly the other day, and I drove the car outside for the first time in over a year.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
    ls1yj, brEad, Cyclone_racer and 5 others like this.
  8. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Looking forward to seeing it again.

9. Man,that is a beautiful roadster,congratulations. HRP

10. maplefrm

maplefrm
    from Central IL

You sure do build GREAT looking cars.

11. sr

sr
    from Monterey

That is just awesome. I want it!

12. AeroCraftsman

AeroCraftsman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. What happened to the pictures???

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^Ditto. Seems a shame when this happens, as so much of the HAMB's history / legacy will be lost forever. Gary

15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I just checked some of Cory's other build threads and almost all of the pics are gone from them also...shit

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I still have my all-time favorite.
    Do you know when a guy has a cool car?
    When a (my) wife let's you leave the same computer screensaver up for ?years. Cory\'s Roadster.jpg

brEad likes this.
  17. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I've been bitten by this a few times....and you'd think I would learn. I host my photos on Facebook because it's really easy to upload, even from my phone on the fly. But for some reason every once in a while, Facebook changes the URLs of the photos, which is why they disappear from the thread.

18. A Boner

A Boner

This used to be a good thread.....the tale of lost photos.

19. ...used to be a GREAT thread. His others were always good too. I've gotten a lot of good ideas for my build from watching what Cory is doing. Sure wish the pics would come back (hint, hint).

3wLarry likes this.
  20. 117harv

117harv

Pics, can they be restored? Great work.

V8-m likes this.
  21. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I got most of the photos restored on the first page of this thread....I'll work on the other pages this week....

DeLuxe 32, loudbang and 117harv like this.
  22. Thanks. Your stuff is always thought provoking, I've gotten a lot of good ideas. In the immortal words of 3windowLarry...patiently waiting.

23. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

So being this thread was a little old, and I was in here fixing some photos....why not show the finished product of the Hollenbeck roadster? They had some help of more great friends in Northern California that helped get the finishes on the car, and it reassembled. They broke the car in out of the box on a 3,500 mile roadtrip to Austin and back. For those who haven't seen it, here are a few photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ls1yj, brEad, Cyclone_racer and 4 others like this.
  24. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

And a couple more of our car once the snow melted....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ls1yj, brEad, Cyclone_racer and 5 others like this.
  25. 117harv

117harv

Wow, just wow, the attention to detail is amazing, to say they are perfect hardly seems adequate :)

brEad likes this.
  26. 'Much appreciated!

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

So, how well do the shocks mounted to the wishbones on the front work out?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. absolutely stunning

29. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I think they work really well. Realistically, it's not much of a change from the conventional location in front of the axle since the wishbone is so long. We also did Dan's 3w the same way, with the same shocks, and it rides great too.

loudbang and 3wLarry like this.
  30. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a pair to draw to.... Both are just stunning.Please bring your photos back on all your builds,they were always such an inspiration.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018