Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are you using for generator or alternator mounts sbc in '35-'36 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RICH B, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Looking for ideas for mounting the alternator on the Chev engine going in my '35.
    using a short pump and rams-horn manifolds. I don't want to go to low mount, and I don't like the looks of the Alan Grove style mounts that puts the alt high over the valve cover; but don't know how much room there is to go outward without getting into the hood. Thinking the mid 60's stock location may be too far out; but don't know.
    What are you guys using?
    Thanks.

2. on my `36 with a 283 i made my own alternator mount , copied the design from one that So-Cal sells. puts the alternator about were the once popular smog pump bracket puts it.....tight to the intake manifold on the passenger side

3. I went with a low mount in my A sedan and it barely fits. I used a stock, 3 wire, internal regulator (1973 plus) GM unit. Not sure if you are concerned with how the unit looks but here is something I came across the other day.....
    image.jpg

4. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Not in a 36 but you heads have holes. A very tight 62 Jaguar. IMG_196316986094.jpeg

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Look into alan grove.

6. rfraze

rfraze

Bill's Hot Rod Brackets. You will have choices.

7. So, it sounds like the alternator needs to go on top to fit under the hood.
    How does your R/H mount work out for fuel line and heater hose routing. I looked at the picture you posted on another thread of the yellow motor with the Speedway or smog pump bracket; but it did not have heater hoses.

8. redo32

redo32

Your title does mention generators. If your going old style "Jitney Jake" Jim Jacobs markets brackets for generators through Walden Speed Shop. They fit the GM short Powermaster.

9. I was going to look at the Jitney brackets too; but they don't seem to be on Walden's web sight at this time, emailed Walden; but didn't get a response yet. Saw a picture of an engine with Jake's L/H top mount generator mount really tucked it in nice, instead of sitting so high like Alan Grove's and Bill's brackets end up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. gregga

gregga

11. redo32

redo32

I bought his L/H bracket but it doesn't clear my 4-2 Weiand manifold. When we were down south for the GNRS we stopped by Waldens and he had a car there with the same manifold. Didn't get a chance to see if the R/H bracket will work.