Register now to get rid of these ads!

AMBR winner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by therealjakeg, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Drive off?! Heavens no! You cant drive those precious beauties!! :eek:

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

...........C'mon, doesn't everyone know that a kit car comes in a box and you put it together with a tube of glue!:rolleyes:;)[/QUOTE]

That just one kind of kit car, not the only kind of kit car. Compared to the low buck, junkyard dogs some HAMBers turn in to first class hot rods, this years winner is a take credit cart in left hand, dial 1-800-hot-rod. With all respect he got what he payed for, a winner! And he possibly deserved it, but I was not there to see it, irl.

But I bet you 6 cold beers, as long you collect, that non of the parts was from the pic'n'pull, non of the parts was pulled from a creek, and not a single part on that car is older then the pair of underware I have on right now! Ergo kit car!
    But that is my definition of it.

He still spend god knows how many hours on it, modified every last part, and painted in a "unique" way. As he always dos.

My fav was the gold 32 with a hemi. But that might be a kit car, but at least the engine looks likes it's aint a new crate motor.

So when I say kit car, no disrespect, just me that has to set them apart from this ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1422658014.917231.jpg

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

deuce w/s frame looks right at home on that blue 29/30 chevy roadster!

4. 5window

5window

That just one kind of kit car, not the only kit car. Compared to the low buck, junkyard dogs some HAMBers turn in to first class hot rods, this years winner is a take credit cart in left hand, dial 1-800-hot-rod. With all respect he got what he payed for! And he possibly deserved it, but I was not there to see it.

But I bet you 6 cold beers, as long you collect, that non of the parts was from the pic'n'pull, non of the parts was pulled from a creek, and not a single part on that car is older then the pair of underware I have on right now! Ergo kit car!
    But that is my definition of it.

He still spend god knows how many hours on it, modified every last part, and painted in a "unik" way. As he always dos.

My fav was the gold 32 with a hemi. But that might be a kit car, but at least the engine looks likes it's ant a new crate.

So when I say kit car, no disrespect, just me that has to set them apart from this View attachment 2824625 [/QUOTE]
    I think you've nailed it.

5. username

username

Winner, for what year?

6. But we don't claim the owner.

7. seatex

seatex

8. 5window

5window

9. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Steve's bodies are nice, (He has had them at the GNRS in the past) but I think he quit selling the roadsters - too expensive to build.

10. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

They are!!!

11. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

That's how I remember it too Don;)

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I like traditional rods and customs. When I go to car shows, Sometimes there is a car that stands out. weather it is because of fit and finish, over all build quality or maybe because no matter how long you look . you can`t find a flaw anywhere. Your eye is drawn to the particular car because it just looks cool. It might be a 70 Chevelle or a 34 Ford roadster. The build style may not be your taste, but none-the-less you know it`s the car that should win Best-Of-Show.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  13. He stopped the production of the 3w as they were too expensive to produce and sell for $30,000. The '33-'34 roadsters are half that and still being made.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!----I just like chasin' all those lines!

15. username

username

Got it, just being a little sarcastic. The winner does not feel or look very contemporary to me.

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Congrats to the winner. I spent hours looking at the contenders. The winner showed nothing, just a buttoned up car. where as the 36 and 34.5 (and most of the others) showed off their special features.. Didn't even know the winner had a motor or detailed under carriage (no mirrors or open panels, nothing, just a black roadster with flames.) until Saturday. I guess only the judges were treated to the "details" Was it nicer than the others, I do not think so based on what you could see, did he have the edge because he was voted into the GNRS Hall of Fame the same week? It will look good on T shirts next year.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    wvenfield likes this.
  17. Boones, It was opened up most of the time when we walked by. Including a pic.
    I don't usually comment on indoor show threads as I was an ISCA judge & judging supervisor for 30+ years, and get tired of the "It's all politics" comments. Having said that I believe the Alloway car may have had a slight leg up as Bobby has been on the AMBR judging committee for the last several years.
    My personal pick would have been the 34.5 roadster but I wasn't privy to an inside the ropes inspection so that's just my personal observation.
    Remember also that the AMBR is not an ISCA award like the Ridler so doesn't rely on ISCA judging criteria.

Mick DSCF1690.JPG

18. Cool, you can buy those Chinese wheels on Ebay for about $500 a set! ;) Creative coup.

19. funny seeing folks bothered by a hemi powered roadster with flames

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  20. redo32

redo32

he....he....he...!! Yea, it's just too damn shiny.

21. bigm

bigm
    from Orange, CA

You Go Ian,
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I agree 100 percent. Not my type, but worthy of the AMBR.

Manuel Reyes

22. Muttley

Muttley

That car is the perfect cure for insomnia.

23. 5window

5window

I agree-very well done, deja vu all over again-or Groundhog Day? but not inspirational
    Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He stayed awake all night wondering if there was a DOG.

24. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

Thanks, Jimmy B. - I knew something was no longer being produced.

25. dos zetas

dos zetas

Someone told me that a judge at an old Oakland Roadster Show didn't like the Tardel AV8 because it was "just a restored A with a flathead and no fenders", to me, it was a standard to work toward...and I like the more trad cars at the AMBR show. This year there were some true beauties in contention.
    But I also liked the Rotar and Beatnik Bandit, because essentially the show car world is a spectator sport. I like to look at them, and maybe incorporate details that I see into my prospective "dream build".
    I sure get a lot more from the great variety of HAMB builds, than from looking at show cars.
    Meanwhile I drive to town in my beat up hay truck, my dream Model A phaeton will happen someday.

Just the opinion of a AMBR spectator.

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would agree with paul55. NSRA isn't everyones cup of tea, but did revice an almost old car culture. They provide some very nice shows, showcase new producrs, and in general promote the old car hobby.

volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.