Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Cadillac Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CadMad, Aug 8, 2014.

1. tevintage

tevintage

Tony is probably right as he makes a thoughtful study of integrated design. However I am knocked out by how it coming together. It will rival the fine European designs of the Era such as Delahaye and Delage. Thanks for keeping us updated. TEB

2. DetroitDetomaso

DetroitDetomaso
    from Las Vegas

This car makes my day! Great job!

3. Rikster

Rikster

Tony, this was the image I worked with. Quentin placed the tubing on the parade booth to show where it needed to end.

[​IMG]

4. CadMad

CadMad

Because I have gone for a retractible conv , ie it has to fit under the parade boot,I am limited for space to get it to fold up and fall below the belt line.
    Rik and I discussed this and that is why I used Riks talent to get afeel for the look.
    I am thinking about alternatives for the rear bow to maybe be detachable , or to slide over itself into a less bulky form.
    The other thing to consider is that i dont wantthe soft top to be the same shape as the hardtop.
    I think a short top looks quite dramatic from a 3/4 veiw as it emphasises the rear end and big bottomed girls.,you make my rockin'world go round.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  5. Rik , love your photoshop work very much, the side view is exactly the car clark gable would have bought back in the days!! wonderful! and hats off to you, cadmad, awesome skills and good eye for each and every detail! that is a hell of a roadster.

Cheers, Carsten

6. CadMad

CadMad

Even the 53 Eldo hsd the same shortened top profile for exactly the same reason. The standard issue conv had the top attached to the edge where the Eldos parade boot ends, a good 6inches,rearward.
    rps20150201_075703.jpg rps20150201_075637.jpg

36 ROKIT and Peanut 1959 like this.
  7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Wonderful project! great concept! I will have to follow it the rest of the way.

8. F-head

F-head

wow this thing is really cool
    does look very European coachworks
    or something california metal shaping would have made for some hollywood mogul
    very impressive

9. CadMad

CadMad

Finally had the guts to cut the brass windshield frame surround. I was nervous that it would be difficult and so kept putting it off. But it went like a charm. took out 110mm of developed length. rps20150201_202200.jpg

Attached Files:

10. CadMad

CadMad

So to show what a great tool digital customising is check out Rik's "option 2". I'm gonna have to rethink the lower bow and perhaps sleeve it so it collapses on itself. RHK-Quentin-39-Cad-Folding-Top-shape2-03.jpg RHK-Quentin-39-Cad-Folding-Top-shape2-01.jpg

kiwijeff and 59Fins like this.
  11. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Idunno, I like the more formal soft top, myself.

12. robkirk71

robkirk71
    from Austin, TX

I find option #2 to be more appealing to my tastes.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I favor the 2nd option as well.
    The formal top looks nice but out of place on a Custom. The Custom (option #2) soft top is more appropriate for a Custom and more closely resembles the chopped hardtop (I'm thinking Barris or Ayala shop/look c. 1950). The formal top looks like it was set on the car while the custom top looks like it grew there. And when all is said and done, the chopped hardtop is what dialed in the lines of your creation. Hats off to you and Rik's eyes for detail and your building skills.This has been a fun project to follow along on!

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I do think that works better with the overall dimensions of the car. The top may now be longer than is really necessary, but it works with the extravagant proportions of the vehicle itself.

ynottayblock likes this.
  15. Gerrys

Gerrys

16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both tops are nice. I have no experience or professional eye for such things but I prefer #2.

17. My vote is the second one with the more streamline look

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I like the second version much better also . It flows better than the original image, which doesn't look chopped because of that longer third bow. (Curtain bow)

19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

The second version looks good to me too.
    And so does everything else in this build thread.Keep up the good work!

20. chickenshift

chickenshift

Great build so far. I'm diggin option 2

21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

IMHO option #2 has a smoother, more natural flow. This is an outstanding car to put it mildly. Amazing craftsmanship.

22. grease4life

grease4life

Option 2 for sure. Glad your going this route!

23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Will the parade boot need to be modified to make option #2 work?

24. CadMad

CadMad

No. parade boot is given. So is the space that the top folds into. To fit the larger rear bow under means that it has to collapse on itself. I'm gonna go to a camping store and look at tent poles

25. CadMad

CadMad

Sorry damn ph wont let me edit. . anyhow. tent poles that slide and extend or maybe bimini top mechs. just gotta think about it soe more. In the meantime I did the rear taillights. rps20150205_171837.jpg rps20150205_171743.jpg

kiwijeff, X38, Jimmy B and 2 others like this.
  26. F-head

F-head

wow that second version is great
    taillights are cool also
    nice work

27. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I actually prefer number 1. This is a big car and needs the added height to look right IMO.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm confused now. The curtain bow won't clear the boot to allow the top to stack in either version, or the first, or the second? If I'm following the photos correctly, it looks the sleeker #2 version shortens this bow only? Whichever lofting you choose (there's no WRONG choice), it would be easy to make your own collapsible bow with flat stock (as the original is) a short section of rectangular tubing and some thumb screws to lock the position. Have I mentioned how much I dig your car? ;-)

29. CadMad

CadMad

index-2.jpeg This pic may explain it. B4 THE TOP CAN BE LOWERED THE BOOT MUST RAISE AND THE LAST TWO BOWS ATACK UP. IF THE LAST TWO STAND PROUD OF TBE B PILLAR BOW THEN THEREIS APROBLEM OFTHEM HITTING WHEEL WELLS WHEN LOWERED. ps is it just me or do others have problems editing of ph keypad. ? only on this site ,won't navigate properly??.

30. CadMad

CadMad

When typing i cant go back and fix mistakes.! on this damn ph.
    atack should read stack.

flynbrian48 likes this.