Register now to get rid of these ads!

late 60's coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nickk, Sep 7, 2013.

1. nickk

nickk

Quick story, Im 22 and this car pretty much got me into hot rods as a kid. This is my uncle coupe he first started i believe when he was 13 or younger. When he first got it it had been a dirt track car with a pontiac engine, but it was shot. Being young and not able to drive it legally on the road he stuffed a diesel engine in it to ride it around the house, still on a nearly stock frame and fendered. Shortly after he replaced it with a 283, then in ended up redoing the car to like this. Has a 69 327, 11.1 compression. With a power-glide. One day, I believe in 1976 he just parked it here, and it still sits. I took these yesterday. He actually ended up building that building around it. But he recently moved and has no place to store it, so now its coming over for a visit to my house for awhile.

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. kursplat

kursplat

cool...so are there any long term plans to bring it back to life?

3. nickk

nickk

Yeah some way or another, Ive been telling my uncle since I was a kid I wanted to buy it, he never would sell it but Im sure if he don't do anything to it I will.

4. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great looking coupe!~

5. slammed

slammed

Will the motor turn over? More pix! Dude, that kegger on the nose will be the next craze ot take over the gasser look. Hide it from the dweebs!!

6. nickk

nickk

Not sure if the motor will turn over or not, will find out soon though. And the keg, well I guess since it was the late 60's and he was a teen its ok, but idk if people need to do that much

7. nickk

nickk

8. nickk

nickk

Quick catch up, a friend on here wanted to see some more pictures. This coupe has since been pulled out and brought to my house, I've cleaned on it and had to take off the terrible wheels. Car still not running, but have gotten some slot wheels for it, blasted the valve covers and the 2x4s intake he had on it and sanded and repainted the headers

9. nickk

nickk

before.jpg after.jpg after2.jpg
    Stuff after being blasted!

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

11. Welcome back. It looks better with the wheel/tire change.

12. Keep it coming, a lot of old hot rods just sitting around.

13. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Street is Neat!! nice work so far

14. Can never see to many Model A"s ! Looks cool, and the body looks very good.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's a nice project. But what front end did he use? WB?
    There is a lot going on in front of the axle, and the amount of space, what's under he keg?

To quote a famous HAMBer;
    Patiently waiting for pictures!

Is that a vintage dirt bike? You are living the life there, kiddo. Pic?

Get at it, lad.

16. nickk

nickk

1971.jpg

So I some what recently acquired so old photos of this car I wanted to share. Ive been with a computer and internet for years now so I'm trying to get back in the swing of things. Now I'm 25? or 24 so to have a birthday. I still have this car I dearly love but have been building my car. The above picture I believe is 1972 right before disassembly to build the hot rod it is now. I liked what was going on here, but my uncle wanted a true east coast hot rod. He was 17 at this current time and was into building drag engines and wanted something more. So he tore this apart to build the next picture.
    1972.jpg
    So this is what I believe to be around 1974 from info I later gathered. This is how it currently sits at my parents but a lot rougher. This car ended up getting a 3x3 square tubing frame, with a chevy rear and front brakes. 327, powerglide. It has two radiators. Believe or not the keg up front made for a cooling issue but that was the gas tank. There is barely any trunk in this car. It held a battery and small tool box.

meeting.jpg

I got my first hot rod around the same time of bring the coupe home. This is when they met for the first time. These two will always stay together aslong as I live. Although the red coupe hasn't had much done to it since this picture was taking, my car is on its way.

shop.jpg

I hope to get this car finished here shortly, you can check out the build on here. (the sawmill rebuild)