Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. RIP Leland. It saddens me to read this. You are an amazing person to help him realize his life long dream. I hope the car lives on as is in his memory.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Wow - that's so sad :( . At least he got to see his car finished , and for that you should be proud . Maybe his soul was just hangin' around too see this last project done . It sure turned out great .

George likes this.
  3. racer_dave

racer_dave

Sad to hear, but it is better he is with God than suffering here on earth. This has been the best thread I've followed on any car site and it is solely due to the people involved. Was the car cool, yes. Did it have a neat story, yes. But it was the Cabong/Leland relationship that got us all hooked on this amazing story. Thanks for the ride.

4. raymay

raymay

A lifetime of memories fulfilled for Leland, may he rest in peace.
    You did good Cabong. Job well done by all involved.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Sad news.. All I can think of to say is Thank You for bringing Leland into our lives - you are a true friend. R.I.P. Leland.

Dave

olpaul and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Bad news to hear. Hope all is well with you sir. You put that man in his happy place. Lord knows what would have happened without two lucky guys....to run into the other. I'm sure you made Leland smile...some of his best ever......and worth every one. Sometimes that's the whole point......to make a smile worthwhile again. God bless man.

olpaul and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

So sad to hear of Leland's passing. Prayers sent for hyis family. Thank you Cabong for making his dream come true before he left this world.

olpaul and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. skoh73

skoh73

Just came upon the news- damn. Thanks for bringing us along on the adventure. I was always really anxious to catch up on any new developments, and I loved the work that you fellas put into it. God bless Leland and all of those responsible for making his dream come true.

9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Been following along since the beginning. Glad he saw it finished . wish he could have enjoyed it more. Larry

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Cabong, thanks for making the time to share with us, and for the gift you gave Leland, somthing we all hope to receive from our peers!

11. cabong

cabong

Thanks you guys, for the kind words. I've been feel'n pretty melancholy since Lelands passing. There will be a service for all friends and family in January, to remember his life. We had a small service at the facility where he lived along with Margene, his sweetheart, and wife since 1956. I didn't say anything there, as everyone was talking about his love of God, and how he had helped many people in their time of emotional need. Just wait, I can go on for hours about Leland the car guy. They'll grab the mike away. So be it.
    I hope to have the leadster at the GNRS in January, although it won't be the same, not being able to come back and share pictures and stories with my pal. Man, I miss that guy!!

12. groundpounder

groundpounder
    Member Emeritus

Man.... As I was reading...didn't see that coming. Had to get up and get some Kleenex..... R.I.P. Leland. Great story and seeing the build through cabong... You made a lot of dreams come true!.... We are all lucky to have read this thread!

13. cabong

cabong

Well, it's time to let the Beloved Burple go. I have listed it on Ebay, just to see if anyone is paying attention. I'd like to keep it, but quite frankly, it's hard for me to look at it without thinking of my pal Leland. I haven't even brought it home from Nick's shop. I'm hoping to take it to the GNRS in a couple weeks, if the weather permits. I know that Leland would really have liked to see it there. It's been tough for the past month, not making those trips over to the care facility, carrying some piece for Leland's nod. We really had a gas of a time completing this puppy. Thanks again to everyone that participated in making the last year so damn kool for an old friend........

14. Fulvia

Fulvia

Hopefully it will get passed on who will have the same twinkle in his eyes.

15. 5lam

5lam

RIP Leland. What a truly amazing story!
    It will be a shame to see it go. Hopefully it finds a home with someone who loves it as much as Leland

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  16. Tanoki

Tanoki

I cant find it on ebay, is it gone already? If so, i hope the new owner will love it as much as you and Leyland did.
    Again, Thank you so much for sharing this story with the Hamb guys and keep up the good work .

Peace Tanoki

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Sad to see Lee go. He was a helluva guy. Will be at the memorial to pay my respects, as will a group of the Heap Herders from the old days. Weather permitting, we will have our cars there too. I sure hope the Chevy stays in the valley so we might see it once in a while. I will always remember Lee and that gorgeous car. Thanks Bruce for bringing it back to life, and for giving Lee and Margene some joy in his last days.

18. cabong

cabong

I took Leland's Kruizer to the GNRS last weekend. I didn't really want it judged, as I had not cleaned up the engine room or the trunk. The "go-2-guys" said let it be judged. So I did, and the bugger won 2nd in Radical Custom Convertible. Yahoo....Leland would be sooo tickled!!!!

19. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Nice!

Posted using the Full Custom MUNDSTER app!

20. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

21. This is an amazing story of the cars life, beautiful restoration

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That is AWESOME !! You're right , Leland would be tickled - and you should be proud of all you did ...

23. A shot from the talented camera of beatnikkontinental:
    [​IMG]

24. mj40's

mj40's

Can't believe I just found this thread this evening. Bet you can't guess what I have been doing for the last couple hours! Great story! You couldn't have choosing a better helper than Nick & Ken. Good people I have know for years. I remember seeing Leland around the valley in past years. Thanks for the story. Mel

25. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

AMAZING story, beautiful car. Thanks for sharing.

26. cabong

cabong

I went to the memorial service yesterday for my friend Leland. Lot's of friends and relatives in attendance. The family gave me his car club plaque for the "Heap Herders" in Caldwell, Idaho. They also gave me a belt buckle that was made for Leland many years ago by a group of prisoners at the Idaho State Penitentiary in Boise. It has an image of the Burple Beastie engraved into it, and filled with purple plastic. Really cool. The plaque will be on the critter at the Sacramento Autorama, and I will be wearing the buckle.
    There were many kool stories about Leland at the service, going back to the early days of the kustom. A lady that lived behind them in San Francisco remembers seeing him all the time, kruizing the Chevrolowster on the streets of SF. He had the kool hair style, and always drove with his arm out the window, and on left turns would have his face out also. Probably to hear the great homemade smitties filled with brass shavings from Schlage Lock in SSF. He used to love taking family and friends to a particular Chinese restaurant in Chinatown. His daughter, Rogene, described the place to a tee, and as it turns out, I went there many times myself, when I worked on Montgomery near Broadway.
    Leland will be missed my all who knew him, and especially by me, since I have all those stories packed into one short year. What a guy!!!!!!!

27. Torchie

Torchie

What a Guy indeed! And the same can be said for you as well cabong.
    Great to see pics of the car at GNRS.
    Torchie.

28. cabong

cabong

Now I'm off to Sacramento for the Autorama next weekend. This should be a good show, as it's aimed at kustoms. It's really nice to see Leland git the recognition for having bought this critter, have Gene kustomize it, and then keep it for soooo many years. I can only imagine that he is watching from above, with that great twinkle in his blue eyes, saying "way to go, Pal"...........

29. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

We all are saying "way to go pal".

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Yep, yep. We all are saying "way to go pal".
    Keep going!
    Best of luck and keep the man and the story alive in our hearts.