Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. missysdad1

missysdad1

Frankly (is there any other way?) I liked the Ivo T back when it was topless and still somewhat rude and crude, as it appeared in the cinematic epic "The Choppers" with teen heart throb Arch Hall, Jr. and his merry band of juvenile delinquents. But then I much prefer hot rods with lots of rough edges and road rash to those that are pampered and primped. But that's just me...

The Choppers.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    dana barlow likes this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I guess when I have a free half hour or so I can sit and do little history piece on them. I just get a little careful about too much information, as I can get a bit too minute when I write stuff. You, by the way, are one of the few people that I have ever heard of that understands the wide white recap slicks deal!

Also, that is a subject that has been hashed and re-hashed here many times, and it always degrades into an argument. It seems that Wide whites had a much longer "shelf life" in the east and Midwest than in trendy southern California, and folks always take it wrong when you say "this is when that was popular" in any definitive tone.

Now, on to other stuff! I finished my tonneau cover tonight for the car. Looks soooooo much better, but it was dark out by the time I finished it tonight. I will do my level best to start the Upholstery part of this write up tomorrow if work permits...

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

For the record Norm and Tommy used the front half of T Touring car bodies, that is why the pickup beds fit so well to the rear door jamb. Bob

need louvers ? and dana barlow like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I found a bucket someone did,,ya got to see! I love what he did. Engine sounds by kid driving are most likely open headers at red line!
    10923248_1532089290375417_1696924940391997563_o.jpg

5. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Just like I won`t get into the Hy Rosen rebuild post Bill Rolland. Gary.....that redo is one that hurt...

Hey...Just thought that Tim`s T project almost has the Tweedy Pie vibe! Don`t ya think, guys?

Hey Mark...Why don`t we make a list of the `50`s and 60`s Magazines with non-ugly Buckets or other fabulous cars that you could look for online....Man, Falcon George should be on here helping us with this...I think he has lists made up already.......I need the April `57 Car Craft, by the way....

need louvers ? likes this.
  6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Paul

Can't really make out what you first line above means about the Bill Rolland redo of the Ivo car. Do you like it or do you think Chip and I are full of shit and you hate it.

I wore out an April '57 Car Craft magazine and had to buy a better one on ebay. Yes that is the Bible. Even if you aren't building a Kookie Kar Klone you can use the profile to get a good idea what a good looking T bucket should look like. A couple of inches down in back, (maybe not any higher in back) a couple of inches shorter or longer will not be ugly. But if your engine isn't fairly level or your windshield doesn't lay back a little it can be ugly.

I'd like to see another profile of Tim's T. It would be nice to see another Tweety Pie looking T. It really had a look. I really liked it. Cute comes to mind but then I've had a lot of women call my roadster cute.

7. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Kiwi Paul,
    Funny you should say that. Tweedy Pie was a major influence to my build - especially when it comes time for interior! That car has an awesome interior!

[​IMG]

Tommy Ivo's T is probably still my favorite, though. I like his dash full of gauges, the stance, and the slicks on the back. Man that car just looks mean!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like Norm's car, too. It has definitely grown on me since I started paying attention to T buckets. I think the Lightning Bug version is the best, but the Kookie car is pretty neat, too. I love the skull shift knob, and did not realize Norm hand carved it. Imagine my surprise when I found out he did hand carved shift knobs as a side business! I had to have one! That is probably my favorite part about my car - the stupid shift knob haha.

NormSkull.png

8. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Gary,
    If it's nice out this weekend, I'll roll the car outside and snap a couple photos. It's been awhile since I have done that, and I think with the body finally being solid mounted and all that jazz, that I owe it to myself to do so. Who knows, maybe it looks absolutely awful and I'll get to redo the floor again!

9. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Tim

Love the photos you posted above and your Grabowski carved Skull. I'm glad I bought mine too. The one on his car though he didn't carve it was a plaster novelty one that he bought at Disneyland in I think the Pirates of the Carabean. (SP) ride gift shop. Their is quite a controversy about who own's the rights to it. I'm not sure where one just like it can be bought. Maybe Paul knows. I wouldn't mind having one. I think my friend in Conn. who is building a klone got one someplace.

Gary

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

the skull on Norms car was one that they used to sell at Disneyland. Pirates of the Caribbean. I have one from Disney World from the early 70's same type. His carved skulls came much later.

11. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Dooley and Gary,
    I didn't know that! I always assumed the skull shift knob in his car was one of his first or the first hand carved creations of his. I guess that's what I get for assuming haha. That's funny it was from a gift shop in Disneyland.

You know what makes me angry? There was an 11x17 poster of the famous Life magazine photo where he's eating a burger in his roadster on ebay. The person selling it had it autographed at the top by Norm in the early 90's. I wanted to bid on it, thinking it would go for a decent amount of money. Well, it ended at 1AM, I was asleep, and it sold for $10. I'm pissed!

So I guess this is a bit off topic, but when did Norm start the skull carving? Was this later in life, or around the same time as him building the Lightning Bug and Kookie car?

12. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Sorry Dooley, I guess you kind of answered my question above. I suppose I should read AND comprehend haha. Anyone else have info on this?

13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

The first I saw one of Norms Carved Skulls for sale in the '90s. Not sure when in the '90s but not before.

I bought this one about 2000. He actually brought it with him at the 50th anniversary of the Grand Nationals because I told him I would be there. We didn't hook up. Wish I had stayed longer. Anyway he sent it to me when he got home and said he could have sold it a hundred times there.

DSCN0001.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Tim_with_a_T and dana barlow like this.
  14. I remember an article on him in the later 80's (possibly Street Rodder?) and he was doing the skulls and rocking horses then.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Dooley
    Thanks for the skull link. But those skulls although pretty kool it says were made for Disney in the late '70s. I don't think they were the same as the '50s skulls. I don't think the early skulls were that detailed.

17. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

18. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

This is the best picture of the skull on Norms car on the cover of second April '57 Car Craft I'm about to wear out.
    Dooley almost the same isn't good enough for most Kookie Kar enthusiasts.

SANY0129.jpg

19. AndersF

AndersF

I was looking thru some magasines and scanning pictures to a reply on a thread i started some time ago.
    And sudenly this show up.
    [​IMG]

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yeah Anders August '57 Car Craft that's mid evolution from "Lightnin Bug" to "Kookie Kar" Or maybe the start. It's already up on the "Kookie Kar"rake and has the carbonation but the rest is mostly "Lightnin Bug"

21. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I may be thinking of the skull Von Franco used in his clone.....

22. I hate to point the topic of discussion in a slightly different direction (maybe this is the wrong place), but does anybody have any pictures or information of any T-buckets participating in land speed racing? You see tons of the more aerodynamic '26-'27 roadsters but not too many '25 and earlier cars other than the early gow jobs.
    Chauvin Emmons '23 T
    Chauvin-Emmons-Roadster_at_Bonneville_1969.jpg
    DSC_0087.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Marty Milligan likes this.
  23. Hey Chip, thanks for the hospitality last night...and for the ride in the bucket. The burgers were awesome, even if the jukebox needed to be bitch slapped. I won't let the cat out of the bag, but the job you did on the tonneau cover was top notch. Headed back home in a couple of days. Thanks for the key chain!

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

25. I don't leave until Sunday. Got any details?

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Cam I go? Just kidding. I've been stuck home for a couple of weeks with the flu. Take and post some pictures for us stuck in for one reason or another.

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a confession, don't hate me :oops: I'm just not feeling the whole skull shift knob love thing.
    I never liked any of that cartoon car stuff and didn't like any of the rat fink stuff or anything Roth or Barris did.

I always felt that all that cartoony stuff was somewhat what started the whole "ugly movement".

But that's just me crusty old hot rodder :D:D

daddio211 likes this.
  29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Funny you guys should have been talking about skull shift knobs today! My late stepfather grabbed this for me at a yard sale about 5 years ago...

DSC02695.JPG DSC02696.JPG DSC02699.JPG

Attached Files: