Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '32 Ford frame hole spacing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by alumcantandthd, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Can all you '32 gurus, or those with original unmolested frames, tell me what you have, or what is OEM for the front Houdaille shock mount center to center spacing, please?

Thank you.

2. xix32

xix32

Two .450" holes, spaced 3.950" apart ( center to center)

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

According to the Dan Woods 1932 master blueprint, the first hole is 17 and 3/8" from the front edge of the chassis. The spacing between the holes is 3 and 15/16" on center and 1 and 3/16" down from the top of the frame. Hole size is 7/16".

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Need a shock? I have a frozen core.

5. Thank you! What is the measurement from the front of the frame back to the 2nd hole?

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If my math is right, 21 5/16" per Ford blueprint. The 3 15/16" dim. is correct with my drawing as well.

7. Thank you guys for your help.

8. hightower611

hightower611

9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Is anyone producing the 36"x48" blueprint that Contemporary Coachworks sold in the 80s. I have one hanging on my garage wall and I used it daily when I was building my Deuce roadster. It's getting kind of beat up so I would like to get a new one.

10. Not sure,,,,, yet, which way I'm going to go with the shocks. I have the rebuilt pair and new arms (not 100% positive what they are off of) in the "Houdaille shock" post. I am/have been talking with "Classic Auto Shocks", Bill Stipe, and a couple of others,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

Please, tell me what you have and everything, and I'll place it with the other shock information.

Before I decide about the shocks, I want to find out about the 'holes' situation in my (original) frame, how and what I can do about it.. Once I'm satisfied with getting holes corrected, then I'll 'tackle' which shocks I'll be using.

Thank you.

11. Just so you know, 32 shocks are a one-year deal . . . so if you have a good pair of them, hang onto them (hard to find). If you need any pictures of 32 units, arms, etc - just PM me.

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If I can find a blueprint shop that can make copies for a decent price, is there any interest? It makes a great wall hanger for any shop or man cave.

13. Count me in - need to know the dimensions as I'm going to be building a new frame for a 3Winder sometime in the next year or two.

14. redo32

redo32

Deuce Daddy, Don from Bend, Or. has them already. Got mine encased with plastic, shop dust wipes off easy.

15. oj

oj

I remember somebody on the hamb selling them full size.

16. They are,,,,,,,,,? In the rebuild places catalogs and other venues, the shocks are listed as, Model A-'32. Then '33-'34,,,,,,,,,.

Please elaborate!

17. alchemy

alchemy

'32 shocks are 1/4" deeper than A's. Might bolt on just fine, but they are different.

18. Is there any way you guys could post some pictures showing the (minor?) differnces, between the '32 Houdallies and other years, please?
    You say they are 1/4" "deeper". Could you please explain what your 'deeper' measurement means? Wider, longer, recessed?
    As far as, do I want a dead balls on match, specifically front 1932 Ford Houdailles only? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, at this time, I'm going to say no. I do not have a 100% "restored" '32, but rather a very (almost) traditional hot rod. The consensus of building hot rods, was taking parts off one vehicle, installing on another vehicle to "improve" ___________ (fill in the blank) what ever the objective intended to accomplish.
    I am after a fully functional, but, period looking, front Houdailles for a '32 Ford.

Thanks.

19. alchemy

alchemy

Trying to search 32 ford shock won't get you anywhere. The 32 doesn't work in search mode. I don't have any pics of the two laying next to each other. But the difference is the body of the shock is 1/4 inch deeper, meaning from the mounting surface outward. If you look at the body of the shock as if it was a big muffin, the muffin has risen a 1/4" more.

Note in this old factory service chart that they have replaced the particular Model A vs. 32 shocks with a standard one. I'd guess they are using a Model A sized replacement since the 32's are so nowadays so hard to find.
    http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/shockidentification.htm

In later years the Houdaille replacements were only offered as the cast housing kind shown in this manual:
    http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/Ford/Haudaille/index.html

20. hightower611

hightower611

Side by side. 1932 on the left. Model A on the right. DSC_0970.jpg

21. alchemy

alchemy

Thank you! Finally, proof of what I had in my head.

22. THANK YOU! Bless yore little heart! I learned more from reading, AND the PICTURES, the above manual you posted, than the exlpanations on two different websites and 3 posts, combined!
    Now, my request to computer savvy daughters, to have those pages printed off and put into a folder for future use up in the garage, was met with rolling eyes and silent groans. ( I'm not very smart on the full use of these new fangled 'lectrec machines. I still want the rotary dial phones brought back! That way I won't have to "push one" for English)

23. Thank YOU too! "1 picture is worth a 1000 words" (Wonder who it was, that quoted that saying? Calvin Coolidge, Howdy Doody, or Pee-Wee Herman? Oh well, maybe it was Coloumbo,,,,,,, who cares anyway)

If one uses the '32 or "deeper, longer" rotary shocks, the offset arm must be used also? If one uses the Model A, or shorter rotary shock a straight a straight arm can be used, when mounting on a '32, correct?

24. hightower611

hightower611

Both the shocks in the picture came off a '32. A on one side and 32 on the other for whatever reason. The shock link takes up the minor variance between shocks. Model A shock arms are the same size/basic shape as 32 arms but have an extra "shoulder" near the link ball. The whole Model A shock with arm and link setup should work with only the keen eyed observer noticing the difference. You could use 32 arms on an A shock or vice versa. This is hot rodding. There are not as many rules as restoration.