Register now to get rid of these ads!

overdrive muncie 4 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gofaster, Jun 9, 2006.

1. gofaster

gofaster
    from georgia

Has anyone installed or know someone who has installed the new gear set that is available that takes the 4th gear in a muncie from a 1:1 drive to a .78 overdrive? It looks that by doing the gear swap as well as plugging some 3.42 gears in I might actually be able to keep up with Atlanta traffic (currently have 4.11's and 60mph comes in around 3000 RPM). Honestly, the gear vendors would be the optimum choice except thats gonna take cubic dollars and I dont see that happening. Let me know if you have any input on another way to drop RPM's short of going to a truck tire for the diameter or a $2500 TKO or gear vendor unit.

2. ol boy

ol boy
    from Tucson, Az

Drive a different car. This car sounds like a stop light to stop light type of ride. Just save for the TKO, T-5, what have you. Which ever way your going to go is going to make you wallet lighter.

3. highboy_04

highboy_04
    from Kansas

why not just get some new rear gears. like 3.08s or something

4. muffman58

muffman58

My old 87 Vette has the 4+3 trans that is basically a muncie 4 speed with a Doug Nash overdrive bolted behind it. Overdrive in 2, 3 & 4th gear. Pretty small package and good reliability. Look for one out of a 86,87 Vette. 75mph and turning the engine at 1700 Rpm! Lotta fun too! This IS a factory setup!

volvobrynk likes this.

5. PSB

PSB

any more info.... after all these years there must be some new info on Gear vendors.

6. PackardV8

PackardV8

Like what new info? Same as it's always been - the GV unit is bulletproof, works great and costs $3500 and up by the time it's installed and operating.

jack vines

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Go fast.
    I used a BW-St10 second design out of 1980 Firebird 3:42 1st, 1:1 4th. 2.79 final. Pulls out real good in 1st gear does 1700 rpm at 60 mph on hi-way. Not a drag race setup but great for every day use. Mopar had some 70s era vans were they put overdrive gears in 3rd gear. Rearranged the shift linkage, so you shifted in to direct for 3rd and the new overdrive for 4th. It worked but wasn't never robust.