Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Speed Sport Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 27, 2015.

1. The first time I got to see(and the best part HEAR)the Speed Sport A/MR was at Sanford Maine in 1960. At that point in time I don't believe there was a AA/FD that could even come close to it.Did I mention the noise it made when it was fired up? They didn't call it Ol' Noisy for nothing. I can still see(and hear)it today and will NEVER forget it.

chryslerfan55 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. catdad49

catdad49

Always loved the look of this thing, just wish I could hear Ol Noisy make a pass! Are there any videos with sound out there? The scoop on it has a shape that is magnificent. Great post Ryan.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

At a CHHR a dozen years ago, they towed the "Speed Sport" in on a short, open trailer, backwards, I helped them roll it off. It sure looks good being push-started by Steve Gibbs orange shoebox Ford. Through the years it sure has influenced many racers, probably none more than the Strode Brothers(no relation) National Record holding A/MR out of Kirkland,Wa. SB 1.jpg

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This car is at Garlits' place. What's the story on it? 2nd car? Clone? Anyone know? Gary

[​IMG]

5. Kume

Kume

I love how they kept the gas tank flap

6. oldbart

oldbart

I was a sophomore in high school when I saw the roadster run at the first Nationals in Great Bend. Itfwas absolutely a show stopper. The push car would take it to the end of the track and then on the way back the engine would fire right in front of the grand stand. Drags have never been as much fun to watch since then.

7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

The speed sport roadster was ran at Mokan dragway about 15 years ago along with the Michigander fuel dragster that was a sight to see both cars were push started from the finish line then swapped lanes as they turned around at the starting line when they hit the go pedal it felt like an earthquake I definately will never forget that day it's crazy how much history Mokan has perfect home for the hamb drags

8. FYI ... (Goodguys President & COO) Marc Meadors is selling #7:

Speed Sport Roadster #7 FOR SALE.jpg
    World Famous Fisher-Greth - Speed Sport Roadster #7
    150in w.b. Chrome Moly Chassis, Halibrand quick change rear, '27 T Roadster body, Browell clutch can - Direct Drive,
    426ci Nitro-burning HEMI, magnesium Littlefield 6-71 supercharger, Hilborn 4-port injection, self-starting or push start

9. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Might be Rex Stevens Replica from the 80's 3-10-2013 7;08;09 PM.jpg

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Since Don Maynard and the Greek were such good friends, i'am sure that is how he got the got one of the Speed Sport scoops for his fueler and used it for years

I also got to see it run at the early ' Smokers ' meets at Bakersfield, one off cars like that is what made the meets such a great draw and we all have such great memories of those days when the pilots would be smoked in leaving the line

' Priceless '

11. flamingokid

flamingokid

Simplicity at its best:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Gary Dubach ran a Speed Sport scoop in his 33 Willys. (Bones-Dubach-Pisano) "Chizler Too" was painted on the grill shell. No one has ever been able to tell me the connection, if there was one, to Red, Don, or the Greek.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

IMG_20130826_183107_333 (1024x576).jpg My favorite car ever........soon.....I will know what it is like to pilot such a beast...

14. Build your own. I love it!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

More pictures! and/or link to build threat!!

16. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  17. tjm73

tjm73

One of my favorites. Always loved that car.

18. catdad49

catdad49

Just remembered I had this! Both cars are plenty cool!!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Here's a picture of carcruse's brothers truck then and now. In the late 70's I'd see it drive around town when It was bright yellow and had Suicide Ride painted on the back. carline1-a.jpg suicide ride.jpg carline1-a.jpg suicide ride.jpg

chryslerfan55 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  20. Bigiron383

Bigiron383
    from Phoenix AZ

[​IMG] [​IMG] Arch rivals from Phoenix AZ

21. Lyle fisher

Lyle fisher

22. jnaki

jnaki

dean,
    here is the famous scoop at riverside in 1959. that is cool since you have one on your rpu.
    jnaki
    upload_2016-7-18_16-53-38.png

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  23. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's another T, Scotty's Muffler, Scotty\'s at Colton.jpg with a distinctive sound -- not even close to Speed Sport in volume. Both ran at Colton in the day. I understand the individual pipes were made from Ford torque tubes.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

. . . and one at the 58 Nationals with Wally Scotty at Nationals .jpg Parks, Scotty "Wally" Scott, and the then real Billy "the Kid" Scott. They won best appearing car.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

hello,
    here are the action shots of the speed sport roadster at riverside and bakersfield, 59 and 60. such power...
    thanks,
    jnaki

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  26. kingpinshu

kingpinshu
    from arizona

I just purchased the Speed Sport Automotive 1956 Ford Courier support push car. It still has the logos on the side panels under white paint. This was used as far as I can tell from about 1956-1958 (9). It is included in a few of the videos in the late 50's of Ol'Noisy and is shown in all white pushing and chasing the nitro hemi T around. Cool find! Worth restoring.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.