Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do sellers bump their ads with a final post of "SOLD" ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 20, 2015.

1. I truly appreciate the sellers and members who take the time to state the item is sold vs those that don't and after the PMs then you find out it's sold.

Obviously if it's sold there's no need to bring it to the top and push everyone down by bumping it. Is it really that difficult to edit the post or the title & replace it with sold? Maybe it is, because it's obviously equally hard to find the sticky that says "can't reply to classifieds- read here" empirically evident by the questions asking why they can't.

2. 117harv

117harv

Many don't know about or how to edit the original post. some may, but it's easier to just post sold.

3. some may, but it's easier to just post sold.

That's pretty inconsiderate,
    I'd say that's the internets version of parking in a handicap spot

4. I can understand your frustration, but at least they're bothering to come back to the thread and let everyone know the item has sold.:)

5. carmuts

carmuts

I always edit title and message to SOLD, delete all bumps and pic's. I simply think it is the right thing to do. I would hate to see my pic's used by a scammer later. Rod

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

If I sell something I deleat all the BTT's I've added, then go to the origional post and deleat everything text and photos. WHY???????????? Because for some reason you can't deleat the title and original thread, the seller has to ask a monarator to do that. I would think if they read SOLD thay would just remove it. There must be a reason the site is set up that way, maybe someone in the know will explain it. Bob

7. I think it's done this way so someone can go back and search out an ad they'd seen earlier, even if it just means they can more quickly find out that the item had been sold.

8. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I used to sell here all the time but have not (and won't) since the format change. Before the change, you could mark the ad "sold" and then close it. There was no need to bump it, and there was a lasting record of it in the archives.

9. You can still edit the listing on the new format, editing is not a problem now nor was it a problem before.

Some guys will edit everything and STILL bump the ad with sold

10. Muttley

Muttley

Why not?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

It seems that too many people don't understand the new format making it more complicated to communicate. Maybe when the smoke clears and everyone figures it out, I would change my mind. My first post was not about the editing, but the ability to "close" a thread (ad) when sold. I liked having the ability to close/delete ads yourself. Also, this could be done without "bumping". I don't want to come off as whining though. The classifieds are free and I thank Ryan for the space. I will always support this site whether I use them or not.

12. Right or wrong this is my take......

You can't edit the title on classifieds to let everyone know it is sold,If I have a part in the classifieds that has sold I feel that it is just a common courtesy to inform the Hamb members that is no longer available.

I know some post a bttt sold,I prefer to edit the original content of the thread and it will drift of into oblivion.

Even if the OP does post a sold it will soon drop like a rock because the insane amount of traffic in the classifieds.

On the other hand I cave called about parts that have been sold and get a guy saying i am the 4th or 5th person to calked since it sold. HRP

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

If I do sell an item, and then deleat all the BTT's and then deleat the text and photos add SOLD to the OP dies it get bumped to the top or stay lost in old adds? I've BOUGHT some great stuff from HAMB members, the classified section is great IMO. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. You got that right Bob! HRP

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Did you ever notice it's the people that get it are the ones with their panties in a bunch?
    If ignorance is bliss then the opposite must also be true..

o_O

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  16. That is exactly why someone said "ignorance is bliss" and why that saying has stuck around so long. :)

I don't get it, so ill just ask them

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  17. If you're like me and screw up while editing the original post as sold, you can go back and erase the bump, which drops it back down.

18. If this is your biggest problem in life to worry about, your life is a lot smoother going than mine.

19. Yes, some folks have real problems.
    Really I was just wondering why, maybe I'd learn something by asking.
    Maybe some info would come up into the light that's not easily seen to make things better here.

20. webb1932

webb1932

It seems that having a simple Delete function for the entire ad would answer the question whether the part is still avail. or not and clear up all the listings and make it more efficient for all members. Is that too complicated? I like the HAMB but only have so much time to spend searching it.( There goes that common sense and logic again)

21. Honestly, there are probably 2 reasons.

First being, laziness. Although it only takes a few extra seconds to edit an ad over typing in "sold", some people are that lazy.

Second, knowing how. Look at Facebook posts. Many times people will hit enter, instead of the shift key, then instead of just editing their post, they will continue on with what they were saying in another post. A computer may come easy to you, but for some, its a FAR cry from the rotary phone they grew up on. My wife and daughter both use tablets while I still use a pc. If I go on their tablets, I might as well be trying to go online with a loaf of bread.

22. The other reason may be that if someone has looked at the ad before and goes back to it you will automatically go to the last post so if you do not put sold as the last post people who have looked in the past may not see the sold in the first post and keep inquiring about it. Hope you can follow that convoluted response.:confused::D

23. Having just sold my pickup I tried to edit the title and post sold,,,I couldn't edit it so I bumped it and marked it sold...that's my reasoning! :D HRP

24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

OR............................

You could have and can send a Moderator a private conversation with the ad link and we will delete the post as sold

25. Seems to be rampant again.
    The practice hasn't gotten any smarter