Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need Opinions on Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darren Kuyrkendall, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Hello Everyone... Newbie to the site but would appreciate any help...

I have a 32 Ford Roadster that is painted Black and Silver. Looking to make a move to some different wheels. Was looking at wire wheels. Maybe painted black or chrome. Was also looking at slat flats in the gunmetal grey that Coker Wheels offers. At a loss on what size to get. I really need some opinions as i have a car show coming up that i want to get this car ready for. I have won the past few years but i think i am going to need a change to get the win again.

I am not sure if i go with smaller wheels or taller wheels... wide or thin... just need some good advice.

Pictures of the car are attached

Attached Files:

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Judging by that driveway you're somewhere in Central TX.

Depends on what you're going for. Are you trying to Un-streetrod the car? Just looking for something different? More streetroddy?

3. Steelies would look good . HRP

fine29 likes this.
  4. San Antonio... hence the SPURS Silver and Black Paint scheme.... im just looking for something that freshens the look. I have had this car since 2007. I just added the top to it last year. I feel like my current wheels are not the trending look right now so a set of wire wheels with white walls would look fantastic. Problem is and you all know this, you dont know till you get the wheels on the car and of course, to do that you have to by them and you cant return them. I thought the rocket igniter and rocket launcher wheels from coker would look awesome as well...

5. Which Steelies do you like...

6. Several thoughts:
    1. You're asking for advice on the HAMB, a site for *traditional* hot rods and customs.

2. If you pick your car's theme (e.g. '50's hot rod), then that will dictate the appropriate wheels (e.g. '40 Ford steelies)and tires (e.g. 4.5x16 and 7.5x16 Firestones). See how that works?

3. Painted wire wheels (either Kelsey-Hays or stock pre-WWII Ford) would look right on a pre-war hot rod, but *definitely not* on your roadster. Chrome wires look right on a low-riders, '70's vans, and pimp-mobiles, but not much else. IMO, Coker Salt Flats look like new wheels trying to look like old wheels.

4. Your roadster looks like it has some of Barry Lobeck's roadster DNA (see below), from the mid '70's. Given that, I'd add a hood, ditch the exhaust and install as-cast American 5-spokes or maybe some Team-3 Fuelers.

Hope that helps.
    bl2-475x250.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    RICH B and kiwijeff like this.

7. I have the original styled wheels on my Deuce pickup and after market solids on my sedan.

I sold my roadster several years ago and I had polished salt flats wheels on it.HRP

1932Roadster005.jpg

Attached Files:

timwhit likes this.
  8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm gonna flat out say it.. this is about the most Anti-Trend place there is. Not in a mean way, so I hope you get where I'm going.

Your car is VERY contemporary. Old school wires with whites would look weird. They would look like you were TRYING to follow a trend which always looks dumb. As said, steelies would work. Those Rockets in my opinion wouldn't do the car any better than what you have. Maybe the Rocket solids would though..

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Having just seen Just Gary's post I agree with him 100%

10. Welcome from another San Antonio Hamber.

11. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Im not sure if I get this right. Its always nice to meet new members here but this car is a street rod with all the "wrong" touches. (At least seen from a HAMB view) Now, if, and I state IF, the car was a time correct looker at least, first: Be a man and ditch the radials. Its "ply or die"....or worst case use Excelsiors on steelies or old style spokes. Radials are for pussies.
    And personally I just dont get this focus on useless plastic and/or metal trophies that collects dust. My most valued carshows, or more correct , gatherings, are when knowledable people come up and say they like my car and tell me why. I dont give a rats ass about the trophies....but hey. Thats me. lol Nothing personal. Just being honest.
    Now, If I should do anything with your car, I would paint it one color only. Preferably all black, lower it in the front an inch or so, loose the wide wheels and tires and go narrow big and little with red steelies, small hubs and ribbed rings, and for instance Excelsior tires for "safe handling" That might "de-street rod" it somewhat. ;)

kiwijeff likes this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Not much interest here in trying to change a car just to gather more plastic trophies. 10 yrs ago this group would have ate you for breakfast.
    Sell the car and build a traditional. Concentrate on the thrill of the build and the acceptance of other traditionalist.
    And that's about as amiable as I can get.

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

lmao

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Welcome, but hang onto your hat ,pardner, the real pirranahs will be on the attack soon!That roadster and the Nomad at the other end of the drive are nice, but in hostile territory on this site.Good luck.

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. I honestly think everyone has been more than civil but we all know this is a traditional site so I tend to think most of use know the difference in a street rod and a old school hot rod.

Our new friend ask a question and like it or not we are all opinionated and Hambers are know for their frank and honest reply's and they don't sugar coat it. HRP

16. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Here, here (or is that hear,hear? I always wondered)! It has become a kinder, gentler HAMB but there are always fins in the water. That car definitely isn't beyond "saving".

Since there isn't a pic I'll hazard a guess and say ditch the billet dash insert. All black, colored steelies and a little trad dressing on the late sbc.

'Mano was right. Red, or any eye catching colored wheels (within reason!) with little caps and ribs look good. Thought I had pics on my phone of my father in laws chassis. Has exactly what he is talking about.

17. mike bowling

mike bowling

Just a "heads-up" to the OP, HRP- a few years ago ( before I was on here) ,my first post on Fordbarn was asking advice on channeling an "A" coupe.I think you know the rest( thought they were going to burn me out!)No harm intended.Hell,I used to drive foreign cars!

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Mike-Any fan of an XK is friend here. My dad has my g'fathers '52 in storage. Incidently it has painted steelies with trim rings and spats (skirts). They didn't all come with wires.

19. I think for your particular car with the styling it has, that you already have the right set of wheels on it.
    If you want to be more trendy, try changing the paint scheme some.

20. I agree with everything Gary said.

The first thing that jumps at my eye it the huge vacancy in the engine compartment.
    I noticed that before anything else. So you need to fill it with a blower or cover it with a hood. You seem to be more like a hood type of guy so I'd think about that. A big swatch of silver on the hood won't look right though.
    Tell me if you'll be going hood or blower and then I can help on the wheels.

Here's the rocket solids also available polished
    [​IMG]

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Torque Thrusts, a hood & some more black paint would do wonders.

Squablow likes this.
  22. CTAV8

CTAV8

"not the trending look right now" ?
    Who here gives a flyin' about whether anything is "trending" ?

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I believe wheels, while not an absolute necessity, are of a tremendous benefit to the automobile. Sure, guys have gotten by without them, and saved measurably on tire costs, however it usually involves sacrificing overall function in the name of individuality. Also, when the decision is made to use wheels, round wheels are generally preferable, mainly from a comfort standpoint, perhaps at the cost of racy looks. And that is my opinion on wheels.
    adfa.jpg s.jpg

edwardlloyd likes this.
  24. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

1003sr_07_o+1932_ford_roadster+grille.jpg Not my car but this is a great look.

25. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

^^^^^^^^^^^^Bingo!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Love the long louvers on the top of hood!

26. Kinky6

Kinky6

Darren, since you asked...

I'd second slowmotion's suggestion on the 5 spoke torque thrusts, for an early '60's look, or black steel wheels w/ chrome caps & maybe trim rings for early '50's. Black wall bias plies ( white walls do not instantly back-date a car's look). Go with all black paint and a full hood, again, a folding stock type for earlier, maybe a 3 piece w/ louvers for early '60's. Go w/ some 2 tone grey pin pinstripes to match your chosen time period and keep your Spurs thing going.

My 2 cents worth, K6.

27. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Dont dispair all at once Darren. You already drive a 32 Roadster, so you are half way there :)
    Might want to lurk around here and maybe read about this HAMB site though, see if it catches you and want to "change religion" http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?page_id=2368
    Its all about the right attitude and a traditional view on things, (things as in time correct cars and bikes and elbow grease) not the most flashy cars or thropies.
    Hmmm. Where do I get hold of that time correct elbow grease?

And three posts up youll find a car that might appeal to you. Too bad about your fairly new top though, since that car has slantet windshield.

28. wvenfield

wvenfield

Screw the wheels. Put a flattie in it and improve the looks 100%.

29. brut4s

brut4s

Delt with Wheelsmith. great experence. Wheels were very good quality and prompt delivery