Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. No, it's the Phony Pony. It originally ran twin injected SBF's and later went to the blown single.
    [​IMG]

tommyd likes this.
  2. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

3. 296ardun

296ardun

SCTADeuce2.jpg
    Boyd Penington at Colton, around '55. SCTA briefly sponsored a drag race there, bringing their timing stand from the lakes...Not sure what Boyd ran that day but he was always fast.

422986f6ce2ab0962b8d4df64dcad264.jpg
    and speaking of Colton, Charles "Scotty" Scott, owner and builder of this very famous roadster, was one of the founders of the Colton Drag strip.

2196078211_0868f64f32_o.jpg
    Early Chizler, notice the spare narrowed rear on the trailer...this is how guys like the Greek traveled around the country.

a9f5bb899181d277bc29dc9e66d14788.jpg
    No ID, anyone?

1da8122b7436ff62be0e426e60e97285.jpg
    Richie Broughton at Connecticut Dragway, cage with Richie still in it at left, notice engine with fuel lines still trailing fuel by the pole...Richie was barely scratched in this crash and asked what he had turned

Chizler_at_Scottsdale_s.jpg
    Later Greek at Scottsdale

dick_belfatti.jpg
    This Scotty Fenn car would later become black, and then Dick got a new Fuller car:

shadowgreek.jpg
    Here is the Greek sitting in Dick Belfati's fueler...Dick would later get a Speed Sport scoop just like the Greek and the Speed Sport crew...
    ed49a3346796993cab3283916130c940.jpg
    Top gas lineup at Lion's during the fuel ban, maybe '60 or '61? Here's my shot: Hayden Proffit, Jack Chrisman in Howard's twin Bear, Magwinder (which Chrisman also drove, maybe double duty that day??), John Kranenberg "Guzler" from Illinois, Lefty, Leland Kolb (?), can't make out the last one.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    hendelec and Dean Lowe like this.
  4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

10734130_10153039816053622_7017814624122512005_n.jpg Arnie Beswick and Dick Oldfield both owned this car in its racing life.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

I remember this car sitting in the owner's front yard at times, mid 60's. It was a stormer in it's day. I believe it's restored and in the Columbus area today. Previous owner built a tribute oh-nine street version a few years ago.

Banana Man Racing and tommyd like this.
  8. 296ardun

296ardun

[​IMG]
    I posted this above and asked if anyone had an ID...got this message from Nickthebandit:
    "if I'm not mistaken, that is Steve Harwood's fuel altered at Connecticut Dragway. I think he bought it from Otie's automotive."....I think he is right, sure looks like the red roadster that Otie used to drive.

Paul B, hendelec, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  9. 296ardun

296ardun

Al-dave-tarkanyi-1932-ford10.jpg
    I found this on KustomRama with the following caption:
    "1932 Ford 3-Window Coupe originally owned and built by Jim Root. Jim sold the coupe to Downriver Modified members Al and Dave Tarkanyi of Dearborn Heights, Michigan in the mid 1950s. Al and Dave were brothers. Their coupe was heavily chopped and channeled, and they ran it without hood and fenders. Power came from a 296 cu. inch. Ford Flathead V-8. In 2014 Al still owned the old coupe." Obviously in this racing shot it has a hemi...(and yes, in the photo are the hands of whoever Xeroxed the photo!)

2fbad4fb58eaf3d76dfff420f51140dd.jpg
    Winternationals, when the orange sheds were still next to the track...don't know who is driving the "Ornermotive" (I think that is what it says), but that is Charlie Smith in Plain Vanilla from Oklahoma...no clue who won... c87bf26298b219aa1242768216a38780.jpg
    Half Moon Bay, don't know who

BobWilliams.jpg
    Bob Williams Jr fueler at Lions

hendelec, Dean Lowe and tommyd like this.
  10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

11. callcoy

callcoy

12. callcoy

callcoy

This car was built by Lee Sixt in my shop Speed and Marine Associates in Orange Calif. Lee and I both went to Fullerton Jr. College where we became friends, I bought his first uncompleted FED that I finished and ran with a gas flathead then a SBC and then a fuel flathead. Haven't seen the car on here but it looked like a early Fuller. Lee built another car before the Beebe Bros. and Sixt effort that he drove thru the fence at Pomona and finished up out on the golf course, Lee stopped driving after that. I had built a Jr. Fueler but sold it to start Speed and Marine, ran into Lee after I had the shop going and invited him to use the shop, gratis, and he moved in. Never put our name on the car, the Beebes were hooked up with a speed shop in Garden Grove Calif. and they didn't like the fact that they were sponsoring the car but it was in my shop. Evenings would find both Tim and Dave, John Mulligan and another guy that I can't remember his name, working on the car. Lee was quite a fabricator and would use my Heli-Arc evenings, for some reason when welding it really messed up the TV reception at a guys house across the street when Lawrence Welk was on, he used to come storming over to give us hell!

When he moved in I looked at his wrecked car and salvaged the roll cage, then built a fuel flathead car. Jim Busby would come by on his way to Larry Lee's shop a few doors down and one day talked me out of it. Jim took it on tour with his AA/FD and played with it, finally building a big engine with Hilborns, but was never to best Bradley. I got the car several years later after I sold out and, then I got married, had to sell the car. Both Jim and I would like to get the car back, it is still painted as I painted it, 1947 GM Forester Green and was last seen at an event at Limerock International Raceway about two years ago. Has an unusual front setup I used compact 2" springs in two tubular housings.

I have lived in Santa Rosa Ca. for 28 years recently moved to Tenn. and know Robert Morris, have been up to see him and the replica several times, he has done a great job. Has gone to no end to make it as original as possible. Kent Fuller lives in town (Santa Rosa) we used to get together for breakfast or lunch before the move, see him several times a year with I am back in town. Used see Tim Beebe at the Sacramento strip when I was involved in a blown alcohol RED, Tim I believe lives up north maybe Idaho, Lee has a shop in Idaho right on the border but lives next door in Washington.

hendelec and loudbang like this.
  13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

14. 296ardun

296ardun

Interesting story!. I found these shots of flathead dragsters on Don Ewald's site and wondered if one might have been yours.....Jim Busby lived two blocks away from me in Pasadena CA, and we went to school together...saw him a couple of years ago at high school reunion.....Larry Lee had a shop on Green Street in Pasadena, Jim hung out there in the '50s:

Flathead2.jpg

Flathead-rail.jpg

Flathead-rail-3.jpg
    Flatty-leave.jpg

tommyd and Dean Lowe like this.
  15. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Funny how things pop up some times. I've been reading a Hot Rod magizine special book on carburation and fuel systems from 1964 and there's a section on the differant fuel injection systems that were around at that time and Ornermotive was one of them.
    Ornermotive.jpg

16. 296ardun

296ardun

Interesting! That explains the different injector on the "Ormermotive" roadster...I have to dig up that article in my HRM pile....anyone else heard about this? Wonder what happened to the company?

tommyd likes this.
  17. callcoy

callcoy

Ardun
    Thank you for the photos, unfortunately none of the fine examples are the car we are looking for, I am a real klutz on a computer and haven't done a good job in locating the car. An individual by the name of Paul Fuller posted the photo, thinking it was a family member I asked Kent who he was, Kent told me he didn't know him.

Ok, so you know or knew Jim, were you by chance one of two friends that started out with Jim together High School Graduation afternoon and evening? Started out with a keg of beer and only two of you got away in the 28 Panel Delivery.

Larry was a good friend, was up to his house several times. His ex wife was seeing one of my customers, Larry split with her and moved with the boys down to Orange. Funny thing was she moved in with one my High School friends in Orange. Borrowed his M/C at the Salton 500 after a few beers talked a gal in a fur coat to go for a ride, we both ended up the sea after the security police chased me, I bought that bike. There is a lot more to the stories but I can't tell it here. Jim told me that Larry is now in a facility because of dementia, another talented individual that unfortunately is no longer really with us.

tommyd likes this.
  18. 296ardun

296ardun

I better PM you, some of the not-so-innocent are still around!

Larry Lee was a talented striper, painter, customizer, and hot rod builder--he once build a '29 Ford sedan with a blown Chrysler for the street, complete with parachute...he was not as well known as some of the other striper/artists, but he was just as good....

For followers of this thread, Jim Busby is well known, won the 24 hours of Le Mans, built numerous fuel dragsters, and now restoring old hot rods to perfection...some remember him best for the Indy ford dragster he ran briefly. Here are some pictures from Don Ewald's site, and a caption on how it came about.

More_engines.jpg

001busby.jpg

Busby-1.jpg

Jim Busby's 255 Indy Ford Twin AA/FD - Pomona, 1970This car won the Best Engineered Award at the 1971 Winternationals (as well it should have). For those of you who wonder how this whole deal came together and what became of it... here's the story from Jim Busby himself.
    "I saw your photo of my twin Ford fuel dragster. Thanks for remembering. It was a great project. By the way, the car is still around and I am trying to find a pair of engines to restore it.
    Contrary to popular belief, that car was probably the least expensive top fueler built at the time. I purchased five complete 255 Ford Indy engines and a complete package of spare parts from three Indy car teams for $3500 (USAC had changed to a stock block formula and rendered them almost useless). Don Long and I had the idea to build a car with them, so we cut the front end of an old injected a fuel car that I had been running and fit the fords (total cost approximately $1200). Hank Westmoreland, my cousin Bob Burnand, and I did all the rest of the work and invested approximately another $1500.
    After we ran the car the first time I received a call from Leonard Fass (King O Lawn Indy car guy) and he said that USAC had changed their minds about the stock block formula and he needed engines. When he offered me $30,000 for the engines I took it and threw in the injected 392 that came out of the car when we converted it.
    When you do the math, we made a profit of $23,800. Not bad for a race car.
    The car ran consistent 7.90s at 195 mph with a best of 202 mph when it was powered by the injected nitro 392. As you know it only made two runs with the twin Fords. One half-track run to shake it down and a fuel leak shut it down at the starting line on the second run so we didn't qualify. The next day I got the call from Leonard Fass and the rest is history.
    I think I would like to get the car going again just to hear it run. You can't imagine the sound of 16 cylinders at 10,000 RPMs on 80% nitro through a 180-degree exhaust!"Photo by David Ray

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

tommyd likes this.
  21. Hi Merek, this is Ed Taylor's daughter Debbie. I find great pleasure in hearing and seeing pictures of your fantastic history connection with my dad. I would love to see more and hear more of the stories. My mom Marian still works in the engine parts department but in the boating industry that my dad started back in '75,. My email is [email protected] if you could please send me some pictures or stories. I just can't forget the story of Susie Olgavie falling asleep in her mashed potatoes after a very long day on the Pomona strip.

loudbang and tommyd like this.
  22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

tommyd likes this.
  23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy