Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects You get what you pay for... '30 Coupe Project.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by IronTrap, Dec 22, 2014.

1. IronTrap

IronTrap

Drug this home from a friends place where it's been sitting for a while. It's an old dirt track car and while the body is pretty rough, the chassis has had some traditional bolt on upgrades and it came with a bunch of extra body/patch panels, so I have enough to at least get the body solid. I've been gathering parts all summer and I have a Ford flathead V8 sitting and some odds and ends for the car already set aside. This is my first A build, so It'll be a learning experience! First step is to get everything media blasted and start working on firming up the body. Here's a few pictures for now..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looking forward to seeing this project come together, Matt.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Except that you put the rear tires in front, and visa versa, that is a Nice looking project you got there.

I thought it was one more threat about the value of something.

Looks good, keep at it.

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

If you can save it good for you.. We need more model A's on the road.. Will be watching the progress...

5. 60 Belair

60 Belair

6. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Pretty good shape for a oval track car......I've seen monkey hanger handle bars on motorcycles but never seen a monkey hanger steering wheel!...looking forward to your build!

AHotRod likes this.
  7. IronTrap

IronTrap

It's as the car came, I was just happy it rolled and steered.. obviously it won't be staying like that...

volvobrynk and 1927graham like this.
  8. Might want to beef up that transmission cross member a tad : )

9. not too bad but I don't know what you paid. I think it is about what I started with, good luck!

10. alchemy

alchemy

That car would make use of every tool in your catalog before it's done. Good luck.

11. Got a decent start, I'll be watching.

12. belair

belair

Bitchin Omni/Horizon. Good luck on the build.

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks more like a Volkswagen to me, but I think it looks OK lowered with those wheels.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. indyjps

indyjps

Lot of work, can't wait to watch it. I like the golf, looks like a fun car, any track day action?

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

You're on the right track!(no pun intended) You even have a decklid! Good luck with it-Save another "A".

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Model A's RULE !

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. It represents a ton of work but still it looks pretty good. Front axle stuff looks like a plus.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great starter kit! I'd save up and buy a set subrails and the crossmembers that hold them together Then you need a stock firewall just to align things, once the body is back to were it started you can continue on with the save. First step of any build is a good foundation. Bob

19. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

If you were close to Oklahoma I have some subrails with crossmembers I would sell cheap. You will have to do a lot of measuring.

20. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

I didn't start out with much more than that on my first A,clear out the garage:D and have fun!

21. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

great start i never get a decklid

22. You have a lot of metal work ahead of you but given the time and determination I am sure you can bring it back....I'll be following the build. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. IronTrap

IronTrap

Luckily I was able to negotiate an entire front OE cowl with a good fire and dash and some of the missing patch panels. Subrails and crossmembers are definitely going to be one of my first purchases just to get the body from flopping all around!

Sure is. I've been playing with German cars since I was 16-17 until the Hot Rod/Kustom Bug bit me and I have been splitting my time between the two worlds. I still have a bunch, whole different world but they're fun as hell to drive!

That one isn't a track car, more of a fun cruiser. It's the only running, driving, Mk1 VW with a VW V5 engine in it. Runs really well, was saved off of the top of a scrap pile a number of years back.

24. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

good luck with the project.
    I used to work at Eastwood when it was in Malvern. Good people to work with and for!

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

26. eicke

eicke

............more than I started with!

2 1/2 years later and my metalwork is nearly complete. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

The search for parts is part of the challenge. And don't worry about the body flopping around, it'll all tighten up at the completion.

-Ron

27. IronTrap

IronTrap

Been busy gathering parts over the spring and summer and I'm finally about ready to start turning this mess of parts into something.

I found some Edelbrock heads that were sitting on an engine behind our Chicago retail store when I was out for World of Wheels this past spring and smuggled them home in my carry-on luggage (that had security scratching their heads!) Need to find an intake next for the engine and trans I've got stashed away.

[​IMG]

Also found a '34 Chevy dash at a local auction that I think will flow well with the inside of the car. Surprised how well it fit just clamping it into the car. I plan to make a new gauge panel to fit some old gauges I've got sitting around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to tear down the chassis to see what kind of mess was hiding underneath and it was a bit scary how badly modified it was over the years. I could flex areas of the chassis by hand that they had clearanced to fit different things over the years and the entire chassis was quite tweaked. I decided to tear it all down and keep a few things and sell the rest off to someone else and build a new chassis for the car.

[​IMG]

This led to an excuse of building a chassis table to build up off of. I went to the local scrap yard and bought all of my supplies and we did a little video on the build-up of the table. I ordered some tubing and I've begun laying out some parts to get an idea of how everything is going to jive. I'm planning to sweep the front a bit and Z the rear. Been reading a lot of other threads and saving pics of cars I've dug over the years to get inspiration for how I want the car to sit. I also got an OE deuce grill shell that was already modified for an A years ago, it has some filler in it, but its solid and can still be repaired.

[​IMG]

I tore down a good '41 rear I had sitting around and the guys over at Posies are sending me new front and rear springs to begin with.

[​IMG]

Hoping to get some tires this weekend at the Macungie Wheels of Time show and find some 16" wire wheels to mount them on, then I can start messing with stuff. More to come soon.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015