Register now to get rid of these ads!

History January, 1953

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

January, 1953

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

That's what makes Bonneville so special and the people who race there, they just want to go fast and if it means a Crosley that's cool too. The paint job is awesome...

3. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Ryan, thanks for a great year at the Journal with you at the helm. The Crosley just demonstrates the Hot Rod culture of improvising and engineering in all shapes and sizes. Very happy to be one of the minutiae in the lifestyle.
    Merry Christmas to all!

4. By God, you're right; those lines are reminiscent of a beluga rear-ending an aardvark, but the paint...oh that paint.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

If only the top, windshield and side windows had a more dramatic contour. Yes that paint design is way ahead of its time. Thanks for all your great posts. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, dig the paint. Gotta love these cars that are all business.

Thanks for another outstanding year of modern niche journalism. This ship of yours is riding high under your capable captaincy, and us sailors appreciate that! Aaarrggh!

Merry Christmas Boss, enjoy these holidays while the kids are young, sure doesn't last long.

7. Here's the Hubbard & Palamides Crosley in "drag strip" trim:

Hubbard ~ Palamides Crosley at drag strip.JPG
    Jack Hagemann Sr. chopped the top and hand formed the nose and full belly pan.

"Tommy the Greek" Hrones painted, scalloped, "flamed" & lettered the car.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  8. awkward in 2014, but was it awkward in 1953? with successful records you would think the design would have been copied. or was it?

9. I'm waiting for March 53, that's my month :)

10. belair

belair

The nose and graphics remind me of pinewood derby days. But not in an amateurish way. I can see why you go back to it. It continues to have something to show us.

11. autobilly

autobilly

A happy and safe holidays to all.

12. I think it's pretty cool and with the times the Crosley I'm sure there competitors stood up and took notice. HRP

13. Ryan,
    This is one of the reasons you impress me, as you are always thinking out of the box as were the builders of this hot rod. I liked it back in the day (I think it was the paint job) and I still think it is cool.
    Merry Christmas every one.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wow, I have always just flat thought this was one of the coolest salt/strip cars ever! It never crossed my mind that it was "awkward". Still don't think it is! This would be hard to translate into a streetable version, but a Crosley more in the vein of the Batto Trucking drag car is definitely in my future at some point.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Thanks - Crosley has been used for many forms of racing - Have a Happy One

16. Think this is a different car?

Attached Files:

17. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Same to You "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Everything else!"

18. flamingokid

flamingokid

Merry Christmas,Hambsters!

19. Merry Christmas and a Happy / Healthy New Year:D

20. so it was copied.
    it looks almost like they used rear quarter panels from a coupe or roadster for the front fenders.
    i think i like the windshield slope on this one better.

21. A photo from 1952

jb-28.jpg

Merry Christmas

HEMI32 and nostalgia59 like this.
  22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I was a 12-year-old subscriber to HRM when this car was featured. I thought it was a cool looking competition coupe, and still do -- irrespective of the graphics, which I also like. Compared with a stock Crosley sedan, it's downright sleek!

need louvers ? and HEMI32 like this.
  23. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

25. Goldy

Goldy

I am also one of those guys that built and raced an "Ackward Looking " crosley sedan. This one is on a 34 ford chassis, early 8 3/4 chrysler rear, packard 3 speed and a 322 inch nailhead Buick engine.
    [​IMG]

26. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

27. EZrider

EZrider
    from Waco, TX

It probly didn't FLY because it was HEAVY !!

28. I actually like the lines of the car....it reminds me of one the cars in the old Disney cartoons I watched as a kid. And I agree, the paint, graphics and wheel colors are perfect for the car.