Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Towel City Tires-they recapp piecrust slicks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Von Hartmann, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Dang. We all need to stop buying China goods anyways.

2. daliant

daliant

They're made from an old tire, the remaining tread is ground off and a new tread is vulcanized to the old carcass. Iv'e talked to several people that have them and the general consensus is that you pretty much get what you pay for.

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I think it boils down to what you want the tire to do.
    If you just want to cruise and look cool doing it, and ocassionaly impress the gang with a smoky burnout, but seldom go to a real drag strip and if you do so, you don't worry too much about being top eliminator, just having fun. Then recap are fine, and those pie crusts are cool ain't they?
    But if you spent mega bucks for a killer enngine/drivetrain/chassis built to win and the rules permit them get the real thing with today's technology, those pie crusts ain't so cool now!
    Caps done by a reputable shop who is known to back up their product are a safe solution to cool, and affordable. But if it's a serious race car, drag, oval, or road course, then a purpose built new tire is the ticket.

4. sntos63

sntos63

Makes perfect sense. Thanks fellas. Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the recaps. I just mess around a lil bit cruising around town on the way to and from work and cruise nights and such. Plus I took a look at Coker's new bias ply looking radials at about $250-$300 for the sizes I'm interested in, and NO THANKS COKER. Don't forget most of us out here aren't successful businessmen taking in the green.. Most folks I meet in the scene are average middle/low income family men, working in factories, warehouses and small shops-Not big time money spenders. Towel City and Hurst are who will receive my hard saved cash. Thanks guys.
    P.S. not to hate on those more successful folks. Thumbs up to them. Just not for the rest of us saving up for a year or so just for tires! Lol.

TRADITION NEVER DIES!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  5. mejsap

mejsap
    from milwaukee

I bought a set of recap piecrusts from Towel City about 3 years ago. I needed them to fit on my car while it was in the process of being built. They have been mounted and on the rims since I got them and were in the garage the whole time. They are now so dry rotted I will not run them on the street. The tires were only on the car for fitment. I called Towel City and they told me to send them back and they "might" give me some kind of a discount on another set. My guess is that the cores that they used were close to being dry rotted when the were recapped. I think I am going to stay away from retreads and go with the Coker Firestones. More expensive than one set of retreads but not two.

6. models916

models916

Get the Hoosier base for the recaps. You know somebody burned those off in the first year.

7. what does the transition between the casing and the new recap look like? do they look like a recapped tyre? im thinking of getting a pair for my bucket. Does anyone have a close up photo

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Did they start making bias yet??? I'll be damned if I'm going radial

9. butti

butti

The firestones only come in limited sizes..

10. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

I have purchased multiple sets from Towel City and if and when i had an issue they were very good to deal with. I would highly recommend them. Keep in mind you are getting a recapped tire and that is made very clear. This was common practice back in the day and for a period correct look today it is still appropriate. The tires look and perform well.

11. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

You can't use just any tire as a base for recapped slicks. The molds are not universal sizes, so the folks like Towell City and Hurst are limited to using casings that fit their molds. Even different brands of tire in the exact same size aren't identical enough to be able to use all brands in the same size.
    Once a company finds a tire size and brand that fits their molds well, they're usually stuck with using just those casings, or risk making a less than perfect recap.

12. 1953Cletus

1953Cletus
    from Surrey

Just wondering if anyone has some good pics of Towel City tires on their cars besides just the Pie crust Cheaters? I'm thinking of ordering a pair of the Front Runners, along with their original cheaters for my 65 GTO. I'm not sure that a pie crust tire is era correct for a 65.

Thanks

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, a pie crust would certainly be correct for '65. A later or so and not so much, as Goodyear got going with their Blue Streak tires about that time. I have Towell City re-cap cheaters on the T-Bucket and LOVE them!!!

14. 1953Cletus

1953Cletus
    from Surrey

I guess not many people are running these tires any more?

15. KeithA31

KeithA31

Here's a pic of my car, towel city tires front and back, great tires, run smooth and true ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417833218.616784.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. 1953Cletus

1953Cletus
    from Surrey

Looks great, what front size front is that?

17. KeithA31

KeithA31

They are the 25's

18. KeithA31

KeithA31

I should have wrote the 15x25 and the 15x8 cheaters in back

19. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Front runners by Towel City, click the pic for a bigger pic.

Attached Files:

20. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Forgot to add, they are 27" tall.

21. 1953Cletus

1953Cletus
    from Surrey

Looks great on that car! I'm torn between their front runner and the Firestone 6.70 15. For the rear, Its the pie crust or their cheater I think.

22. 1953Cletus

1953Cletus
    from Surrey

One thing I have not yet asked, how does the car drive on these compared to a bias ply tire? My understanding is that they use a radial carcass so I was thinking they might actually drive much better….True?

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

They drive a HELL of a lot better! just like the difference between a regular bias ply and a regular radial. My pie crust cheaters are doing at least 100 miles daily lately, and they are much better in everyway than the 8.90 Firestone dirt repops that they replaced. Oh, another cool deal? They are actually round! A big plus, trust me.

24. My dad is running a pair on his coupe and we have no complaints. They drive really well, and they look good. The rubber is WAY softer than the radirs he has on his roadster. I balanced them, and they didn't take a whole lot of weight, and I was surprised because they're recaps. Good tires, and quick delivery.
    [​IMG]

AHotRod and Malcolm like this.
  25. I have the Firestone drags that came on the car. They ride Ok but the contact patch is very small, only the center 3-4" touch the ground. Very noticeable bulge down the center. Tried over and under inflating with no change and the wheel is the correct width for the tire. I plan on picking up a set of Towel City pie crusts when I go to the Charlotte swap meet, its only about 15 mins. north.

26. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

Ill be driving my car in the next couple of weeks, will report back

Tis the season!
    20141123_111923_resized_1.jpg

27. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

I have TC slicks on my 55 I really like them. they hook pretty good on the street I have not been to the track yet. I recommend them great service and a fair price

28. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

First drive was a success. Tires seem real nice and the rears arent balanced yet. No vibration yet up to 50 mph. Still braking in the clutch so no hard throttle launches yet. Enough to lock the Detroit locker...scared me at first ....forgot all about it.

Attached Files:

deto, wingnutz and Malcolm like this.
  29. Thanks for the update. I'll be headed down there come spring.

30. chevy3755

chevy3755

I have a set of Towel City cheater slicks on my 62 Nova..........I like the look and they don't look like anything in that video..........I have 10 x 15 s ........they also shipped really fast they get my thumbs up.....just sayin