Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which car is the most simple to put back together?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hardtail75, Dec 21, 2014.

1. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

guilty...that was me

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Ha, I'd rather build one of these cars, than learn Latin. :D
    I'd do the Model A's.
    Nice n simple.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Another vote for the Model A (either 28 or 31). Simple, and the best support in terms of low cost repro parts, and information available.

What's a subrail? I have been working on old cars since 1964 and never heard of them.

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

ive done the fords never done a poncho. the model a s will be easiest I think. done a couple of those when I was still in high school. far less parts available then in the aftermarket. but really keep the stuff and do them all sometime, really id wait on the 35. maybe both a s then the poncho then the 35.

5. i have frequently been asked "if i wanted to get an old car to restore with my kid, what car should i get"
    my answer is as follows early mustang, parts are available both new and used, lots of info books manuals, and adaptable and very drivable. if they want something older i suggest a model A for the same reasons.

6. Every time Ned posts I need to look up words.
    I swear google knows that when Ned must have posted something

Ned Ludd and 3wLarry like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to go with the Model A as the first build out of that batch simply because as others have said there is more info out there on how to work on them being it totally restore one to show room stock or totally modify it to full tilt hot rod. You run into a problem with setting the chassis or body up and someone either has or can direct you to a solid answer. If you are missing a needed original to a Model A part you can usually find an original Ford piece in what ever shape you want or find a repro piece.
    The 35 I'd leave until my skill level increased. The Pontiac is probably going to be one big can of worms just like the 34 Olds I had in Texas was. Tin tacked to a wood frame that I decided I was in far over my head on and sold to a club member who was good at working with wood.

8. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I love to give Ned a rash of shit for his *eloquently educating posts, but it's only to hide my tobacco chewin', Okie country boy inferiority complex.

*Ned is rubbing off on me

9. williebill

williebill

Simplest cars to put together for me were always AMT. Seemed easier than Revell, or Monogram, but that's just me.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

The 31 financially would be the best bang for the buck , sport coupes are stepchildren and v-8 cars become expensive quickly , grills , trim pieces ect... A model A you can get creative with part sources and if you have a good aesthetic eye pull off something with value...BUT ... That requires good fabrication skills ... As far as chassis fab ect you can bolt together a street rod 35 where there will be engineering. In the A ... Done nicely the 31 and 35 are worth about the same finished but the 35 will cost more to get there

11. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

From your list

1st Ford 31 5 window
    2 nd 35 ford
    3 rd 28 sport coup , kind of rare , parts can be hard to find if any are missing
    4th 31 poncho Finding wood diagrams if wood is missing

12. Funny posts.....I seem to think that whatever car I tear apart....somebody comes and shakes the hell outa' my garage a few times......when I'm not lookin'.....'cuz I sure as heck always have a tougher time putting back, what I so easily unscrewed.