Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical swaping a 1937 216 for a 1958 235 in a 1937 gmc 1 1/2ton equiped with a early 4 speed crash box tra

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by chuck pelletier, Dec 21, 2014.

1. chuck pelletier

chuck pelletier

Hello
    I am gearing up to replace my 37 216 with a 58 235 . I understand that i need a 6 bolt , 6 volt, wide tooth fly wheel but now i am stuck . I wish to use the 1937 4 speed crash box transmission . what size clutch do i need ? what throw out bering and clutch for is required . 129_0608_04_z+manual_transmission+muncie_sm420_four_speed.jpg is this even possible .
    Will my 1937 trans work with the 1958 6 bolt set up ?
    PLEASE HELP !!!

2. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

The size clutch depends on your flywheel, 9, 10, 10 1/2, 11. Measure the diameter of your freshly refaced flywheels friction surface. Yes it will work. I would take the flywheel to NAPA to match up the bolt pattern of the cutch on the flywheel. In searching for my friction plate/flywheel combo I noticed the three fingered clutch had a different bolt pattern than the old diaphragm type clutch. You do need a 6 volt starter to start that combination, that starter can run on 12 volt if you wish to convert in the future. I have 18 years on the same 6 volt starter, 12 years powered by a 12 volt battery/alternator!

In addition you only need a 6 volt flywheel with a 6 volt starter. If you wanted to make the change now you could use a 12 volt flywheel with a 12 volt starter if you are ready to convert over. If not, last sentence of first paragraph applies.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  3. chuck pelletier

chuck pelletier

Thank you . My 235 has a 6 bolt pattern . I wish to use the original bell housing and starter (6V) i know ineed a 139 wide tooth fly wheel . SOOOO what sise fly wheel / clutch (9 10 10.5 11 ) will i need and what vehicle / years were they present on since i need to get them from a wrecker . Also any other bits to mate up my 1937 4 speed trans mission to this new fly wheel clutch combo. I know these are alot of questions but the information is rather vague on early 216s to later 235s swap outs .
    Cosmo49 thank you for youre FAST reply .
    thanks in advance

4. chuck pelletier

chuck pelletier

i just had a thought . can a four bolt fly wheel be machine to a 6 bolt pattern and then use the original 1937 clutch assembly ?

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I replaced the original 216 in my '37 Chevy coupe with a '62 235. I used the original 3-speed transmission, and a stock clutch, pressure plate & flywheel out of a later car, as I recall. I changed the transmission input shaft bearing retainer to the '38 style and used the '38 style throw out bearing. Been working fine for 20-years or so and a lot of miles.

The '37 4-speed transmission has a "granny" first gear. Not worth a lot unless you're hauling a heavy load or just want to be able to tell the cruise night crowd that "it's got a 4-speed".

The original starter is too long. Get a '38 or later starter and it'll bolt right in and eliminate any interference.

6. chuck pelletier

chuck pelletier

thanks . I have read that i can use the original 6 volt starter but what i am lookig for is what vehicle has the 6 bolt 6 volt 139 tooth wide fly wheel and what clutch matches this and what throw out bering is needed . There is no info out there on this configuration of first generation 216 to late generation 235 swap while still maintainig the original 4 speed trans with the 6v system. very frustrating.

7. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Below's a sheet from Patrick's that should help. Note in red is mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chuck pelletier

chuck pelletier

what size clutch did you use ?

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The pressure plate & clutch disc I used were for a stock one for a 235, which I think was 10", but as it was quite a while ago, I may be wrong.

10. chuck pelletier

chuck pelletier

Thanks men !! i think i have all the info i need