Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac 316 Tech Question. Running too rich!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lalos53Ford, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Ok guys and gals. I just recently bought my dream car and trying to get it in shape. My problem as of now is it is running too rich. It had the original 4 jet on it but was dumping fuel down the intake and fouling the plugs before it could even think of starting. I had a 625 cfm road demon on my shelf so after adapting it on she starts right up. My problem now is that it is running super rich and will run you out of the garage. Do you think it's too much carb for the engine? Should I put a HEI distributor on it and try to get a hotter spark? It takes the gas great and sounds strong but too rich. Any help please!! I have even tried to take the mixture screws all the way in and still rich..

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Have you checked the float level ?
    If the timing is to slow it will run rich also.

3. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Float level is good. Timing seems on target. For some reason it's not keeping fuel in the carb either.

4. Sometimes - running lean will make similar smells to running rich, also certainly bad enough to run you out of the garage.

Can you elaborate on "for some reason its not keeping fuel in the carb" ?

5. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

When I check the sight glasses on thecarb there is no gas from sitting overnight and also no squirting when I apply the pedal. But if running lean would it still smoke a lot?

6. Not black smoke. Your not keeping fuel remark threw me ,,,,

If the bowl empties completely over night it has a leak.
    It has that same leak while it's running too. So that's probably where your going rich.
    If there is no fuel in the bowl, you'll get no squirter action either.

7. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

So we are saying my carb is leaking down somewhere. I'm not good with this demon carb at all. I was always used to AFB.. I might just head back in that direction. So we need a new carb?

8. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Oh and yes. Light black smoke

9. I'd say that a carb that empties the fuel bowl in a few hours has a problem.
    There's a bunch of remedies for that, one of them would be to get new carb. I think I'd try to find the problem with that one. I'm not real familiar with the road demon, but I'm betting that the leak it's something easy

10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Try snugging the bowl screws. If the carb has been run before and set on the shelf for a while the gaskets could have dried up.
    You did shay you recently got this car so what shape is the fuel system in?
    Was it a driving car when you got it?

11. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Fuel system is fine. Fuel pump works great. The oil was really gassy when I changed it. But the outside of the carb is dry with no signs of leakage so don't think it's leaking to the outside. Must be an internal leak.

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check your conversations. There is a message for you. Thanks.

13. fiftiescat

fiftiescat
    from NY

Sounds like an internal leak. I think the demons are fairly easy to disassemble. Give it a shot, worse case scenario you can take it apart, and if you don't see anything suspect, send the carbs out for rebuild.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Billy54

Billy54
    from Houston

Check your Inbox please...