Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Which car is the most simple to put back together?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hardtail75, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

For someone starting out which car would you recommend to put back together/restore/hotrod?

1928 ford sport coupe
    1931 ford 5 window coupe
    1931 pontiac 5 window coupe
    1935 ford 5 window coupe

I'm thinking the 35 because no subrails??

What do you guys think?

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Always choose a car that you've fallen in love with. You'll need all the devotion you can muster to see the project through to completion, no matter how hard or simple the project may be. Follow your heart.

3. squirrel

squirrel

The one that's in the best condition (and most complete) to start with. Pictures of the candidates would help us figure that out.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Are all of the cars listed projects that are already taken apart? Are you are thinking of buying one?

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

This is great advice. Thanks.
    The sport coupe was all together but dismantled so I could repair the sub rails now. The 31 5 window is in similar shape the body is just sitting on the frame. The poncho was all on pieces and the 35 is on a shot frame but I got a new one.
    they are all projects that I have been acquiring parts for. The pontiac was the most difficult but I have located the doors I need.

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The history of automotive technology is a history of figuring out how to make cars harder to put together. Ceteris paribus the earliest one will be the simplest - but it depends just how paribus the ceteris are.

Theoretically subrails should be your friend. They are interstitial fabric which makes the relationship between frame and floor less critical. That's why they existed, until the factory figured out how to do without them.

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

yer just killin' me Ned

kidcampbell71, Hnstray, X38 and 4 others like this.
  8. Yeah,I'd like to have that problem.

9. smoked1

smoked1

For some folk's there is no easy car anywhere! Their lucky they can tie their shoes! My 2cts.

prewarcars4me likes this.
  10. smoked1

smoked1

Oh yeah, I didn't mean you in particular!

11. Any car with wood will be more difficult than a car without.

12. All things being equal...condition of said car,the Model A's are the easiest (relative term) to build.

The 35 Ford does have less wood. HRP

tb33anda3rd and volvobrynk like this.
  13. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP is correct (of course). The Model As are easiest. Any part you need is easily found, and any problem you encounter will already be covered in a thread either here or on the Ford Barn.

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

That Pontiac sould be the hardest because of all the wood in them. I believe it was a GM product by then and a body built by fisher. Loaded with wood.

15. CruZer

CruZer

Easy. According to his buddies, It's the car someone else is putting together.

16. With the info given, I'd do the '35 in a heartbeat.

17. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I would not recommend getting a car not assembled for someone's first time out... A basket case for a new guy will have him looking at a razor blade and his wrist awfully hard....

Also with a basket case you never know what could be missing... And it's those little things that can get expensive fast, and be really hard to find

18. A Boner

A Boner

The A sheet metal all sort of floats, including the doors. With the 35 it's more precise, especially the grill/ hood/ fenders and running boards. The Pontiac is sort of an ugly duck.....like it's been said, you have to really desire a car to have the motivation to see it through to the end. Which one have you really wanted to own for a long time?

They all require 5 times more work, than any beginner can imagine.

Have fun!

wingnutz and volvobrynk like this.
  19. For me, I've done 3 model A's,- sedan, coupe, and a roadster, and enjoyed the heck out of each one. If you are not going to run fenders, then I would build the 31 coupe, otherwise build the 35,---GREAT body lines, more work but it will be worth it. You have to make that call. The main thing to remember is have FUN.

20. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was under 30 years of age when I traded a 57 Chevy for a 38 Chevy "kit" car, frame was in the back of a pickup and the body with fenders etc thrown inside. I thought I knew a lot since I'd been reading Hot Rod/Rod Action and Street Rodder and really wanted an old car to build. I spent some time in salvage yards and where ever else I could dig something up that was missing as well as help from a friend or two. That was about 40 years ago. I learned a lot so saying that a basket case was not a good starting point I'd agree but that it isn't impossible to do. Personally I'd choose the 35 Ford if it was a coupe:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Easy - what is that?

22. txturbo

txturbo

the easiest car to put back together is one you took apart.

23. I agree and also disagree,it all has to do with prospective..:rolleyes:

If you disassemble the car yourself you do learn a lot as you go,,but buying a disassembled car you don't have all the sweat equity,cuts and ten years worth of curse words invested! :D HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Hardtail75

Hardtail75
    from Canada

Thanks for all the info guys. BTW to some of you mocking the thread, easy and simple are two very different words!!

Rock on.

25. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

That sweat equity and inventing new curse words is what it's all about. Like when your hand slips off that wrench and smacks in to those new headers... Or when your putting on that 1 odd ball bolt than you drop it in the floor, hear it hit the floor, but it's never seen again causing you hours of anger to find a single bolt...

vtx1800 likes this.
  26. JimSibley

JimSibley

I would stick with the model a. Bodies. Parts are easy to get. The poncho is going to be a lot of work because of the lack of parts available.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I think the 36 Ford is one of the most difficult to get the front end parts (fenders, horn panel, grill, hood) aligned to have good gaps. Since the 35 is similar I would think it would be in that category. Model A would be my choice for a first build.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. 35 thru 40 cars are a royal PITA with front sheet metal alignment. HRP

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D I saw someone post on another thread, " Ryan, Ned is off his meds again" :D
    There he goes using those strange words again that normal people just don't use. :p :D :D

30. You know that is because we have a lot higher standards now, than they did when these cars were made.

Back to the OP's question, other than the Pontiac, I don't think it makes much difference. Each of the three Fords have both positive and negatives. I would go for the one you like best, much easier to stay motivated.