Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mopacltd

mopacltd

Is that in Jerome?

2. cac646

cac646

Nope, that is in Clifton

3. Dave Higgins

Dave Higgins

New to the site are you guys still going out when the weather cools down would love to tag along

4. cac646

cac646

Here's a couple more REALLY rough ones, need a sharp eye to notice. We had a flood here late last year and exposed these. They must have used them as bank support for the river and covered them over until the flood.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403921855.768687.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403921881.151610.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1403921900.183557.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. cac646

cac646

One more I saw driving my son around on his quad. I know it's a little off topic but it is sitting and rotting in Arizona... Isn't a bus with a soft top somewhat rare?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1410629458.852607.jpg

6. Haha......a little. Bet ya' you can find a cool steering wheel on it, that may very well look on topic. Those older VW vans had some cool really wide metal spoke, small hub steering wheels.

7. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Nice! There are some VW guys that would put that thing back on the road!

8. mopacltd

mopacltd

It's been so long since anyone posted on this thread, I thought you guys quit roaming the desert

9. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Probably waiting for it to cool off .....
    Ever been roaming the desert when it's way over 100?

10. mopacltd

mopacltd

I have lived in the desert for over 30 years in beautiful Arizona. No in the mountains for 8 years.

11. Yeah, not all of Arizona is desert, I think there are 7 different climate zones here and think that is more than any other state so, we have a lot of variety..

This weekend I am hosting my annual event in eastern Arizona's high country. The weather is about perfect and it is very green here and a wonderful drive from the hot deserts. We have people coming from New Mexico as well.
    This Friday night, Sept 19 from 5-8 is our cruise in show at TLCs family kitchen. Great food and I'll be blasting some great oldies music.
    Then, Saturday at the city park is my 6th annual Apache County Motorsports Days here in St Johns.

[​IMG]

In addition to the car show, we will have a chili cook off and a burn out contest along with some great music and food.
    [​IMG]

The park has thick green grass and huge mature shade trees, no need for a canopy. Bring a chair or blanket for this picnic atmosphere.
    [​IMG]

General admission is free and vehicle entry is only $20 and includes a dash plaque and your choice of hot lunch with drink!

apachecountymotorsportsdays.org

My 200 mph AA/Fuel Dragster will be on display as well.
    [​IMG]

12. Earlier this week, a friend and I went and explored some of these areas again. We went on a long section of old hiway that has not been used since around 1948. It is obviously quite eroded but, passable with a high profile vehicle, bike of motorcycle. It is between Superior and Globe. Then we went back to the Salt River Canyon area. Some things have changed, the Mule Hoof Bend is now completely bull dozed over and the area blocked off with a locked gate. Other more remote areas all seem to be intact. we had planned to explore another mine I have already been in a few times but, with the shorter days, we ran out of time. It was nice to know that not all of the area had been removed. Strange, it seems that anything discovered that had been indian/native, is an artifact and preserved but, if it had to do with white man, it is looked as damaging and being removed.

grifcarnut likes this.
  13. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Good to see you continuing this thread. It is one of the few that really interest me on here anymore.

Did you ever finish the restoration of the sign?

Pictures would be great. Travel safe.

14. Earlier, I had posted this pic and info about its age and historical significance. Sadly, the sign was stolen earlier this year. I can only hope it was not scrapped. What motivates someone to steal something like this that has been there as a tribute for nearly 100 years is beyond me. Very sad. I hope they are happy with themselves for their deeds.

Model T1 likes this.
  15. The sign has not been worked on in some time. Life and things have consumed my ability to work on it. Not sure when I can resume work. :(

16. phat rat

phat rat

Hope to get together for some more exploring this coming Feb.

17. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Yeah, me too, Jack. Did you finish serving your term down there jse_IMG_0251.jpg ;)?

18. phat rat

phat rat

Yep, just have to be careful about showing my face there, LOL So you're going to be in he area again also?

19. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

jse_IMG_0236.jpg Yup. Maybe Keith can get this thing started this time.

Model T1 likes this.
  20. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like a Canadian Mercury to me - isn't it?

21. nexxussian

nexxussian

Could be a Westfalia with the pop top camper.

22. Great thread, thanks for sharing, looks like fun

23. Fortunately, this Merc is still there.

24. Schreibs

Schreibs

Pretty sure it is-the Canadian 'short' front end!.

25. We'll be going out again in the coming weeks. A few members have expressed interest and we'll post some new pics then.

26. 55Hydramatic

55Hydramatic

Found this one today on the way up to Jerome just off the side of the road.

Attached Files:

applekrate likes this.
  27. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

What a trip! Brings back youthful memories of restoring a Model A, we scavenged all parts to trade for what we needed.

28. B-59

B-59

My dad told me he once abandoned a bullet nosed Stude on the Arizona desert where it died. I'll probably never get out there to look for it.

29. One of my favorite areas of Arizona to explore, as we have shared here , is the incredibly beautiful area in and around the Salt River Canyon in Gila county. This is about 100 miles east of the Phoenix area and the drive is just wonderful as long as you do not go when it is busy. As shown and discussed many times on this thread, we found countless items of interest and recently stumbled on this one.

[​IMG]

My good friend Keith and I found this metal plaque cemented into a rock. We did some research and found this link.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Missin...ound-dead-in-Salt-River-Canyon-165542946.html

I wonder how many people have died in the canyon since the 1930s when the hiway was built? There are countless wrecks we have found there as old as the 30s.

30. cac646

cac646

Let me know when you are going. I'd love to go explore the salt river canyon area!