Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 F1 rattle can rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 15, 2011.

1. An ongoing project at work. '67 Lincoln.
    This picture is a few months ago when installing the rebuilt original engine.
    1967 Lincoln 2.JPG

Getting closer to paint. Should go in next week for final prime.
    Then it's one more block sand and some color.
    All the stainless pieces have been polished and new chrome as needed.

1967 Lincoln body work 1.JPG

2. Did a windshield install on this 100 point '5 6 Vette a couple weeks ago.
    What a nice car. Tried to talk the customer out of it but he seemed to like it too.

1956 Corvette 1.JPG 1956 Corvette 3.JPG

3. Went to www.chevsofthe40s.com Christmas dinner last night.
    After dinner was a drawing with several nice gifts.
    I won a waterproof GoPro video camera. YeeHaw.

[​IMG]

0 Chevs banner large.jpg

Turnipseed likes this.
  4. We at www.chevsofthe40s.com have been working on a C5 Corvette rear frame clip. It's based off of the 1941 Chev sedan delivery in our project pile. Just got the first 2 frame sections in stock for sale. We had Alston bend the rectangle frame rails then a local pro shop assemble them.

1941 Chev 0 sedan delivery PC.JPG
    1941 Chevy sedan delivery 12.JPG
    Corvette rear suspension 1.JPG

5. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Impressive. Nice win with the camera.

6. Been a few months.....
    Finally after 1-1/2 years I got off my ass and did some stuff on the F1.

Installed a new master cylinder. Pulled/cleaned the gas tank. Got a correct carb, rebuilt and added a glass float bowl. Got truck running great for summer. Just picked up a pair of 1946 Chevy chrome bumpers from www.chevsofthe40's out of their scratch and dent pile for a great price..

DSC06139b x.JPG

DSC06139n.JPG

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Good to see your back at it on your truck, the new carb looks great.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. TheCreeper

TheCreeper
    from Louisiana

I was wondering what a chevy bumper would look like on an F1. Looking forward to seeing a pic when you get it on.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. Ahh bling.

10. Good to see you back!

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. I had 48-54 Chevy bumpers on it before but the new ones are 41-46 which are a little thinner and a little shorter.

Here's a Ford vs Chevy picture.
    2011 08 07 a both trucks big.JPG

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey.
    Welcome back.
    I might be slow, but didn't you sell your F1 for a Buick 30s car?
    Before you took that job at Chevy of the 40s?

Nice build.

13. I had two F1's and a Model A at the start of this thread.
    Sold the A and one F1 before taking the job at Chevs of the 40s.
    1931 Buick I got last year as payment on some work.

Looks like I might be picking up another soon. Made a fair offer on a desirable 60's convertible. The owner told me to call him in a few days. He didn't say no and he knows it would be going to a good home. Keeping my fingers crossed.

He's a cool 80+ year old gearhead guy I've known a few years. He's owned the car 15-20 years and it's been sitting in a dry barn. It was a survivor / driver bought as a restoration candidate. Currently he has a restoration project nearing completion with 3 more cars to do before he'd get to the convertible.

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

So no major progress on the Buick?

Will it be pushed back further? Or sold?

15. If I pick up the convertible, I'll sell the Buick and Nova wagon to generate funds to apply towards the convertible.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

What kind of convertable is it?

17. 48 f4 083.jpg ...those AD Chevy bumpers fit these trucks really nice...
    48 f4 083.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Yep Rusty1, we'll start a new trend....

19. I made the deal on it at lunch today.

'61 Impala, I'll be the 3rd owner. Good running and number matching 348 engine with a Turboglide auto trans. 80K miles, power steering, power brakes and convertible top. Original interior / carpet and paint but lots of rattle can primer on it. Gonna try to get the primer off. Needs a lower right quarter for sure that was damaged then repaired with fiberglass. Little to no rust in the trunk or floors.

All of the missing stuff off of the front end is in the trunk including a cherry grille.

I gave the owner a few days to think about my offer, then when we talked today he wanted 2K more than I offered, which I expected. After we made the deal he says to me:

"Oh yea, I already had the front bumper chromed and I have a new convertible top for it, and there's that NOS material for the interior and some other little stuff. I'll toss that in since you'll need it anyway."

I already have a tri-power intake manifold. Looks like I better start looking for carbs. I know where to get a good deal on an original 3X2 air cleaner base.

This is gonna be fun.

01 DSC07616 RF SMALL.JPG

03 DSC07618 RR SMALL.JPG

07 DSC07620 BACK END SMALL.JPG

08 DSC07622 a STEERING WHEEL SMALL.JPG

09 DSC07622 ad INTERIOR SMALL.JPG

10 DSC07622 b SPEEDO SMALL.JPG

11 DSC07623 ENGINE SMALL.JPG

DSC07626b TRUNK GRILL SMALL.JPG

tomkelly88 likes this.
  20. Very cool. Great potential Mark.

21. greaser

greaser

Wow! What a great car! Always loved the 61 chevys, and a convertible no less!! Good for you Mark.
    I hope you share the restoration process with us. I've enjoyed all of your past projects, and would like to watch you do this one too!

22. I agree with greaser! Can't wait for the build thread!

23. HA, the deal just got better. I was supposed to meet Ray (the Impala owner) for lunch tomorrow to exchange cash for the car title but he stopped by my work today which surprised me. He knew I wouldn't have the cash today. My first thought was he wanted to back out of the deal but do it face to face like a man and not over the phone.

Instead, he brought parts. The new convertible top that he'd promised which turned out to be top shelf. (Then he threw in a new set of top pads and a new top boot) Also brought the original front bumper backer bracket. He said he'll look for the new bumper and interior material tonight. (he has a lot of cars and parts, plus does work for friends)

Now the good part......

Ray also gave me a new high quality carpet and insulation kit, new pair of kick panels, new gas tank, new trunk mat and a NOS accessory 'bug screen' for the radiator that weren't included in the deal. Then told me "I didn't realize how much stuff I had collected for that car over the years until I was looking for stuff this morning. There's a bunch of NOS parts and accessories at my place. I think the pile is worth a couple thousand but your advantage is that's less than I paid in 1990's dollars. I might even listen to an offer". I asked Ray what was in the pile. He says: "You better just come have a look"

I need to start a new thread for this car.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    Ford52PU and volvobrynk like this.
  24. Swede64

Swede64

Looking forward to the new thread/build. Big fan of yhe early 60´s cars.

25. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

sign me up for the 61 build thread! looks like a great project

26. Started a new thread for the '61 here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1961-impala-drop-top-b-b-found-in-pole-barn.979430/

Drug the Impala home today. Lots of thumbs up going down the freeway. Stopped at the store the on way home and a guy was waiting when I came out, wanting to buy it.

More treasures found in the back seat. New headpipes for the exhaust, original fender skirts, new heater core, used cop style spotlight, brand new unmounted WWW bias ply tire that matched the tires on car, new nylon car cover in the bag, the chrome pieces with bullets for the front accessory grille guard and an open box of Kleenex from 1985 for the tissue dispenser.

Headed to the DMV tomorrow for a VIN inspection since it's an out of state vehicle. I have a pretty decent original 1959-63 Oregon "Pacific Wonderland" license plate in my collection that I should be able to use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did get the new '46 Chevy front bumper installed on the F1. The photo is during mock-up so the hook things under the bumper are holding it up. I also shortened the fog light stands (actually, turn signals) and moved them towards the center an inch or two to better cover the frame ends. I'll post a "finished" photo. Now I gotta get the new back bumper installed, this truck has to move out to the carport. I have an Impala to get in the garage.

2015 06 18 a.JPG

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    charleyw likes this.
  27. Got the front and back 1941-46 Chevy truck bumpers installed on the F1 and got the fog lights lowered. Still having driving issues with the truck. It runs good but won't accelerate under load. Seems like there isn't enough fuel "pump shot" but I can see it and it looks like plenty. It's probably the "Load-a-Matic" distributor and carb marriage issue. Gotta get that thing figured out. The truck needs to get sold so I have more room and $$$$ for the Impala parts I need.

DSC08130 SMALL.JPG

DSC08128 SMALL.JPG

28. trumph

trumph

Can i ask what color that is on your pickup

29. Close to Ford's sandstone beige from the 60's. The truck was painted in the early to mid 70's so I don't know the facts. I used Krylon to patch in a few spots, it's a little lighter than their Almond but a hair darker than their Ivory. On the interior I shot straight Almond.

30. trumph

trumph

Thanks for the reply Mark nice color and very nice truck
    cheers