Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical neutral switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timwhit, Dec 18, 2014.

1. I'm in the process of mounting a "push" button where my shift linkage will depress it when in Park. I'm doing this because I can't find an original switch. I've looked the obvious places and recently was in Charlotte and stopped at Dennis' and they don't have them but gave me the name of The Green Co. in Cincy. I called them and they don't have it can't get it, all that stuff. Soooooo, I'm sticking a pic of it on here (probably should have relied on you all first) to see what kind of miracle can happen. Its off a '59 Ford passenger car, removed the wheel and column myself at the junkyard. Just verifying correct info. Anyone have an idea where I could get a NOS or known good one? This one is a Meco switch and the number on it is 2703550 if that helps. THANKS!!!! Tim 002.JPG

2. squirrel

squirrel

timwhit likes this.
  3. Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    timwhit likes this.
  4. timwhit likes this.

5. Or you could try NAPA give the guy the switch and have him find one or a reasonable facsimile there of.

Never discount the ability of the local parts house to find you what you need.

timwhit likes this.
  6. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I, too, used a limit switch. Mounted it on the column. Made a ring which bolts to the shift tab and filed a notch in the ring for the switch roller to drop into when in park.
    neutral2.jpg

7. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

You could always us an early GM brake light switch, under $20.

8. 105 or 80 seems steep right.
    Let just one fuck up happen because the NSS didnt work and you'll wish that you could throw a Benjamin at it and make it all better.

9. Very true!!!

10. As stated above the Gm brake switch from till 1954 on cars and 59 pn trucks will do a fine job. Might still get it at Rock Auto very reasonable.

11. squirrel

squirrel

The old Chevy brake switch is normally off, so when you have it pushed all the way against the spring, it will be open. when it releases, it closes. Is that what you really want?

12. Fenders

Fenders

I'm not familiar with that switch but you really want one that closes both in park and in neutral -- my rod quit as I was going through an intersection, I slapped it into neutral (no need to stop) and hit the key to re-start it.

If the original does that, get one.

13. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Shelasticker 014.jpg My 56 Merc has a "anti theft" neutral only, start switch --- that is to say, it has always started, ONLY in neutral -- but, as it's aged and the mileage has increased, it's become more of a delicate "feeling" to *find* neutral -- [ electrically ] makes it kinda hard for a thief ;)

when the switch finally goes south, I'll rig it to start w a button --

Don't NEED no stinkin "safety" switch :confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O:D NObody drives this but me :cool:

*my* "Benjamin" is needed for fuel expenses --

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  14. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Good thing your car says Stay back 500 feet if you "greenhorn" in an intersection maybe you won't get humped in the rear!

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  15. Don't NEED no stinkin "safety" switch :confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O:D NObody drives this but me :cool:

Like I said earlier - just once.
    I'm more than reasonably certain that is an horrible example to follow.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  16. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

:eek:o_Oit's aMAZIN how many folks either cain't read or jist plain igNORE the tailgate message King ford :mad::rolleyes:

I'm touchy & watchfull bout bein tailgated, for, if someones too close to my rear, I can't manuver safely to help someone I encounter stranded and haveta often "go around" and come back to help em -- costs me a lot in fuel but safer --

now, in THIS case --

I had a vehicle following too close behind me that would have HIT *me* if I hadn't "went WITH" the "SID" to that swung INTO me from my right!

*some* day I'll have a rear facin cam as wello_O

IF I'd just braked, I would have been HIT from the rear by the tailgater and the "SID" [ Selfish Ignorant Driver ] would have jist gone merrily on their selfish ignorant way she, [ it was a woman ] came from behind me in the right lane, apparently decided she didn't want to TAKE the offramp, and came RIGHT AT ME crossing a solid white line, and WOULD have destroyed my Mercury in the same fashion as my Beulah was "killed" IF I hadn't braked and "followed" to the left

It may sound crass to some - my SID acronym for these kinda drivers - but -- that's the BEST way I kin think of to describe their behaviour -- you see examples of em EVERY day --

They're *Selfish* for they're thinkin ONLY of themselves and THEIR wishes -- NO consideration of others!

They're *Ignorant* of the HARM they cause to others [ crashes they CAUSE w their actions ] that they drive away and leave behind em!

annnnd they're *Driving* the vehicle that CAUSES the carnage!:eek::mad::(

anyways

THIS is my PREFERRED thing to talk about and "Pass On" :D:cool: Them that I've helped ---

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  17. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

31 Vicky w a hemi

I'm reasonably certain yer RIGHT :rolleyes::D