Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects brainfreeze 1930 model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by brainfreeze, Dec 8, 2014.

1. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418985506.219263.jpg have you thought about that? Haha aussie beer rules!!!! yes I know what your saying but I've thought about it. Ive set up a temporary floor, temporary seats, I've got heaps of room... Kind of haha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Do you know HOTFR8 or swifty ? They are on the HAMB and both from Australia. swifty is from Harcourt not sure if you are anywhere near them. Not sure what part HOTFR8 is from. They may be able to help. Just a thought. I know it's a big place.

3. Yes it's a big place and I can tell you they are 1,022 or so miles* away from him via the shortest route unfortunately.;)

*I looked it up

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

If you don't have a tire/wheel to use you could always do this. Get the chassis together with body and most of the other weight on the suspension. Use some adjustable jack stands or wood blocks and put them under the front and rear axles so that the center of rear axle and front spindle are half the diameter of the tires you are thinking of using away from the ground. For instance, a 16x750 is about 31" overall diameter so center of rear axle would need to be 15 1/2" from the ground. Not sure of a 500/525 but you get the idea, cut that dimension in half and that's how far the center of front spindle should be from the ground. Cut yourself some 31" discs out of plywood and attach it to rear axle. Do the same for the front with the diameter of your front tire choice. Hell you could even paint them black with a silver moon disc in the center. :) Stand back and have a look. You'll be able to see how far off the ground the car will be, the rake, and where the tire will sit in relation to the top of the wheelhouse. Coker has all the dimensions for the tires on their website. It won't be exact but it will be damn close and plywood is a lot cheaper than a set of tires you don't like.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  5. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this, maybe search a heap more pictures and see what others run.

With any luck the steel shops near me will be open tomorrow so I can buy a sheet of 2mm steel to start folding up my channeled subrails. Not sure what guage 2mm is haha I looked it up and it's between 13 and 14 I think... it measures just a tad thicker than my stock subrails.

6. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

I like your plan so far! Bugger i just tossed two 750 16,s last week when i put some new tyres on my truck,they woulda been good for mockup for you and i,m in brisbane. Johnny

7. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

Ohhhhh man that would have been perfect!

8. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

i just went and checked my spare tyres,I have only one unfortunately, its a den ham 7.50 x 16 4inch www, and it was my spare for the others just replaced,shoulda checked as one i tossed had a little life left,woulda made a pair, if it helps your welcome too it.also found a single 6.00 16 olympic nos, i,ll probably never use Johnny

9. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

Whats the diameter of the tyre in inches do you know? I might borrow it and see how it looks up against the coupe, I'm worried that a 7.50-16 black wall will look too balloony but as a whitewall it sort of evens out the large black wall

If that makes sense? Haha where abouts in brissy are ya?

10. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

pm your number and will sought it out.I,m in Boondall on the North !Johnny

11. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

tyre measured off rim deflated, 29 inches tall,Johnny

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I just noticed this thread. You've got an awesome start! I would totally run 750s on the back. Even Channelled, they just frame the back of any car perfectly. For the fronts, I like the 600's on mine because of the big whitewall, but mostly because I absolutely have to run them. I think my car would look cool with the 500s, but it would lower the grill into the pavement!

[​IMG]

brEad, kidcampbell71 and pecker head like this.
  13. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

your car is actually what I'm hoping mine looks like! stance wise that it. looks awesome! i like the 750's but as a blackwall might look too balloony, and also in australia we need to run some sort of a fender, most people run a motorcycle style guard as close to tyre as possible, so that will make the 750 look a little bigger again.

i think ill run with the 600/650's that i have just for now and once its a roller i can sort of judge whether a 700 or 750 will work better, either way it won't change the scrub line so it shouldn't matter just yet... if that makes sense.

also im in japan at the moment, fly home tomorrow night so ill post some pictures of when i visited junichi at paradise road, and the boys at arts body and wheels unlimited. such good guys! also i think i have some parts waiting for me when i get back... yieww!

14. I made the fenders on this, rears are 7.50's

[​IMG]

chriseakin and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

are they 16-750's? they look pretty sweet!

16. and them fenders is barely there.:)

17. Yes, 16 - 7.50

brainfreeze likes this.
  18. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

ah yeah sweet! i think I'm sold on the size!

Wilds31Flattie likes this.
  19. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

finally bought a house and it had a big shed, so I've moved my coupe home!
    [​IMG]
    finally can get some work done on it!
    in the mean time i managed to buy a set of firestones 16-600 and 16-750, sourced a pair of buick drums and f250 backing plates. found an edelbrock 573 intake and triple 97's, a mcculloch blower, and some 58 chev tail lights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30 AV8, kidcampbell71 and Jeff34 like this.
  20. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Congrats on the new digs! I like that more-door Falcon you have in the shed, too.

21. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

thanks mate!

22. zapp69

zapp69

nice score on the McCulloch.

look forward to seeing things progress

23. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

thanks mate!
    next on the list is figure out what to do for rear suspension, do i buy a newer ladder beam setup or find a set of like 36 radius rods?
    whats the best year rear rods to use?

24. 55chevr

55chevr

What happened to this project?

Joe

brainfreeze likes this.
  25. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

I've been working away from home still, so not much time at home, and then i went travelling through canada to snowboard and then down through the states for 4 months, been home for a week haha

But i did make some progress before i left, and the y block is ready to be picked up from the engine builder, ill add some pics, hopefully get a little more done this week now that I'm home!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

26. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

I'm thinking of leaving it original paint and leaving it unchopped for a while and then chop it and paint it later

what do yas think?

AHotRod, brEad, Luke W and 1 other person like this.
  27. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

tall top, much easier on your rapidly aging neck and back when you get in or out...
    drove a nipple high coupe for 17 years... going tall this time. DSCN0615.JPG

brEad, brainfreeze and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. mohead1

mohead1

Excellent body, wudnt do much w that except rust repair.....she is nice just cleaned up!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brainfreeze likes this.
  29. jackalope

jackalope

I'm guessing you figured out your rear suspension based on the updated pics. If not, I used some old 36 pieces that I cut up and made them adjustable. I have a build that shows the pieces and what I did.
    The body on yours is awesome. Diggin this. It looks good the way it sits but I prefer the chop. Do what YOU want

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Yep, I would do this. Y block looks good.

osage orange and brainfreeze like this.