Register now to get rid of these ads!

Warwick Drag club fun dat

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by OBFB HA/GR, Nov 30, 2014.

1. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

The Warwick Drag Racing club are holding a fun day this weekend December 6th. We're gunna run the little flathead for a bit of a giggle. I hope to get the wife in the hot seat, so fingers crossed she does. I'm sure she would have a ball if only I can get her in there.

2. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You better be careful. If you get her in the seat you may find yourself needing to build a second car so that you can drive again!

3. spanners

spanners

Nigel if you can find a way of getting her in the driver's seat, let me know how to achieve it ,as I'd love for my missus to have a go in mine. She reckons she isn't interested in going fast but as I tell her, "only go as quick as you're comfortable with". I bet after a couple of runs she would want to go faster.
    The other thing, I'm sure she is worried about looking silly on the start line, as in stalling it , so keep that in mind. If she's worried about rowing the gears properly, jack up the back of the car, get her in there practicing the shift pattern. My wife drives a manual 2009 Turbo Subaru and when I told her I shift the HAMBster right-handed, she baulked. (By the way, for overseas readers, in Australia we drive on the correct side of the road, cars are right-hand drive so gear changing is left-handed. Because of the modified linkage setup on my gearbox, I change right-handed).
    I'd love to be there but I'm racing at Gunnedah this weekend.
    Hope you have a great day and I'll hopefully see you next year.

4. RoadRunner5

RoadRunner5

Spanners, when my car was a four speed, I shifted left handed. And if you look at the picture to the left you can see that the steering rod is on the right, unlike most in the US.

5. spanners

spanners

When I tell people that I change right handed, they usually say, " I couldn't do that, it's too hard". I think most of them only drive automatic street cars. It's amazing what you do when you have to. 30 plus years ago I had to drive myself home from the Emergency department with a bandaged, numb left hand. I used my right hand to change gears and steered with my left elbow.
    For an occupation I drive a road suction sweeper which is left-hand and right-hand drive so I'm used to swapping driving positions.

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

When we were young we towed my race car to the local track, Detroit Dragway (RIP) and I unhooked the trailer and my wife would enter the tow truck in the Stock class. That was when they often ran stockers 4-wide. She often would get a hole shot on the competitors and sometimes hung on for the win. A few years ago at a race in Canada I won a free driver entry. Since I had already paid for my entry the next day I let her make a pass in the Frenchtown Family Truckster. She took it easy and was satisfied with that, as was I. That was the last time she drove.

7. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

8. OBFB HA/GR

OBFB HA/GR

The little "Jappa" ran a late model Buick V6 with a healthy dose of Nitrous, but the little old flattie put him away.

9. bobw

bobw

The flattie sounds really heathy, Nigel. Thanks for posting the video.

10. Old28

Old28

The old flattie was on it's game that pass. Nice win :D

Motor sounded real strong and shift was real smooth.:cool:

Shows it takes more than a little "bug juice" to go rounds. :)

11. spanners

spanners

Sounded good. What time did you run or was it grudge racing and did you get your better half in the driver's seat?