Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Odyssey battery VERY impressed so to speak

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CHOPTOP_T, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't think they did intend that size for a battery cable on the starting circuit. I bet they only intended it as a 12 volt source to provide power to the fuse block for all the main accessories. I can't imagine any company in the business would think 8 is heavy enough to be used as battery cables. They are nowhere big enough for that purpose.

I bet if you go back and reread the instructions you will see where they discuss that.

Don

I used the PC680 because it was the only battery that would fit in my 23.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

I would say id relocate the batt but i already have my kill switch mounted towards the rear

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

i suppose but if i showed you the instructions that cane with the harness you have a laugh. They were pretty basic

4. [​IMG]

Well my guess is they can say " includes batter cables" and charge more but use 8ga and spend less.

At 4' 8 gauge will only carry 150 amps or 1/5 of your battery.
    At 10' 8 ga will only carry 65 amps or 1/10 of your battery.

No matter how short the cable 8 is way to small for starting any v8

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You don't have to relocate it, you just need a heavy enough set of battery cables to get the current there. Think of the battery cables as a water hose. A big hose will allow more water to flow than a small hose, same with wires. All you need to do is get some number 4 or number 2 wire from a marine store (auto parts cables are not that swift) preferably Ancor brand wire, get the appropriate crimp or solder on ends, and run both cables from the battery to the starter, and you will be done.

Don

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Just FWIW, I use 4ga cable, about 2 foot long MAX for my bloody Gold Wing!!

7. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Mine is mounted in the rear also. Just swap the 8 gauge for 2 gauge or heavier, as has been suggested then ground the hell out of everything and you should be on target. Welding shops can provide the heavy gauge wire needed.

8. X3 Do yourself a favor........

9. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Alright will do i dont have any boat shoos near by they closed so ill either have to search online or something

10. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There is no such thing as too large of a battery cable. The smallest we carry in the shop is 1 gauge which is used on small engines and maybe up to 4 cylinder gas engines with cables less than 4 feet long. A basic stock 327 might get by with 1/0 but if the cables are longer than 10 feet, 2/0 will make certain you don't have any problems. One way to tell if the cables are too small is to see if they "jump" when you try to start it.

loudbang likes this.
  11. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Thanks for the advice

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You are going to spend about $5 a foot for QUALITY battery cable, but it is worth it. The Ancor cables on my 27 have been on there for over 25 years and still work great. The difference between cheap cables and good ones is that good ones have each strand in the bundle individually tinned for corrosion resistance. Then, if you put shrink tubing over the terminal ends you will have a set of cables that won't let you down.

Go on line and put in marine discount stores and you will find one that has Ancor and also with free shipping to your door. This is one case where you do it right once and then you are done.

Don

13. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

When i get the cables right and the everything works fine i will have to retract my statement about not being impressed

14. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Thanks don. You and everyone have been very helpful.

15. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Here is a place we buy lots of different wire and cable from. Most heavy truck shops will be able to crimp on ends for you. Welding cable comes in black, red or green.

http://www.wireandcabletogo.com/Welding-Cable/

Diesel locomotive cable has a tougher outer coating and only comes in black.

http://www.wireandcabletogo.com/Diesel-Locomotive-Cable/

loudbang likes this.
  16. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Thats awesome it didnt even come to mind about welding leads thanks

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

You can buy the cable from a weld supply store

18. squirrel

squirrel

I go the other way...I get the cheapest battery I can from walmart, and put it as close to the engine as I can, and use #2 or #4 cables, and never have any problems.

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

The diesel locomotive leads are the tinned leads mentioned above. That company is great to use because they cut to length and get it to you fast.

20. If you have a local welding shop just go talk to them. They have cable on the spool and many gauges. They can help you decide and cut to exact length and crimp on correct eye size ends. Just another option.
    The Wizzard

slack and loudbang like this.
  21. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

I agree with your way i was just tryin to put as little as possible up front

22. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Those prices arent bad i looked and ebay is more expensive. Thinking about the 1/0 should be plenty

23. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Thats true i can check

24. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I also use 2ga. welding cable from my local welding supply . Two race cars at 12.5:1 comp. with a PC 680. Works great.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

25. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Im kinda leaning toward the stuff engine man pointed me too 2/0

26. Gee, hasn't this thread turned around. Can't always pay much attention to thread titles. Apart from that, isn't Keep it Clean from our friends at Hoffman? I think that about sums it up.

Thankfully the guys are setting the OP straight with some practical advice.

I've always found fat cables for reduced VD (voltage drop) and more than one GOOD grounding, including batt to frame and engine block to frame is a basic place to start. No rust, paint, grease, oil, shit welds, loose bolts, fibreglass or anything else to get in the way of electrical flow.

3wLarry, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  27. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

Man arent you right i didnt think this thread would get as many responses as it did but great info all around

28. I've not experienced any problems with odyssey batteries. great little batteries that have met every expectation and I'm a picky sob.
    It's not the best idea to build with a specialty battery in mind, but if you can't help it this is the one to use. I figured it was something in the system and not the battery.

29. CHOPTOP_T

CHOPTOP_T
    from place

For sure i intended to use an odyssey batt read a lot of good and didnt want a batt venting in the car plus i liked the small size of them as well when i get the wires all fixed im sure ill retract my statement

30. You can seldom go wrong by using too-large wire, particularly when it's a starter motor circuit. The higher the amps, the more voltage drop in a specific wire size will be seen. At a typical starting amp load, #4 wire will drop 1% voltage per foot of wire. As voltage goes down, amps go up. As an example, the typical V8 starter draws about 250 amps. This is 4 hp needed to spin the engine (1 hp = 750 watts, 250 amps x 12 volts = 3000 watts, 3000/750 = 4). Reduce the voltage by 5%, and now you're up to 263 amps to do the same work. Go to 10% drop, now it's 278 amps.

loudbang likes this.