Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Steering Wheel Repair

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SicSpeed, Dec 10, 2014.

1. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Thanks for all the great input. So everyone has been happy with all the products used. This has helped me be comfortable attacking this repair. Thanks everyone.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

2. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that's some awesome work. i did the wheel on the green ford in my avatar back in the '70s--the car was "only" 25 year old at the time. i filled the cracks with 2-part epoxy and painted it white with epoxy paint, and it came out great and lasted.

3. ratrod72

ratrod72

I used marine tex on my 50 deluxe wheel an it turned out good ... Sands very easy an feathered out good... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1418397755.225817.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. I have used Marine Tex and JB weld kwik,,,Both work excellent..for most HAMBers JB weld is more readily available,Any auto supply or hardware store has it.

5. Using JB weld probably wouldn't work as well on a clear wheel. :D

I got a Windsor wheel that is only square on one side and black, this thread and your post reminded me that it does need some repair. thanks a lot. :p

6. I used PC7, when I rolled a 57 wheel down to 16". Then shot it pearl white-ish.

Screenshot_2014-10-29-08-41-13-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-29-08-40-59-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-29-08-41-50-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-10-29-08-40-10-1.png

loudbang and SicSpeed like this.
  7. gatz

gatz

8. bigm

bigm
    from Orange, CA

JB Weld makes two kinds. On the back of the packaging in small type it will mention it works to 300 degrees and another package says it'll work to 600 degrees. The 600 degree stuff is runny and takes overnight to dry. The 300 degree stuff kicks off in 4 to 5 minutes. Mix small amounts or work quick.

loudbang likes this.
  9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"JB Weld makes two kinds. On the back of the packaging in small type it will mention it works to 300 degrees and another package says it'll work to 600 degrees. The 600 degree stuff is runny and takes overnight to dry. The 300 degree stuff kicks off in 4 to 5 minutes. Mix small amounts or work quick."

One more thing I never knew - thanks !

10. just got done with the major filling and sanding on 2 wheels with PC-7. I like how it was thick and slow setting making filling cracks an easy task. Overall cure time was about 24 hours. Sanding took a bit of time, and looks to have a nice even finish. Spraying them with primer soon and I'll see how it goes from there. Overall I am happy with the product too. I'll snap pics from primer and color when I get to that point.

11. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice work Thanks for posting the tech on steering wheel repairs .

12. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

I used J B weld and Por 15 epoxy putty on my 61 Olds wheel, first , I stop drilled all the cracks with a very small drill bit, Vied the cracks, taped them off and filled them about 90% full with the J then finished them off with bondo. That way your not sanding into the soft steering wheel trying to cut the hard JB. Several stages of sanding, lots of coats of primer with drying time in between, top coat with an auto parts store perfect match paint I found.

loudbang likes this.
  13. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

JB Weld, primer, and paint on both these. Both were pretty bad, and 3 years later show no wear or re-cracking

Attached Files:

14. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

original JB weld will kick off and harden much faster if you apply a little heat. I use an old goose neck desk lamp with a 40 watt incandescent bulb. just don't get it too close to plastic as the bulb will melt it