Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I was wondering about Fred and Falcon George the other day. Where you guys at?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Come to think about it. I've never seen any of you! :D
    I've seen pictures of Chip, but thats all. B)

Do you regular "Bucket of ugly"
    Know each other IRL?
    I Respect you all very much, And would really love to shake your hand some day, but up till now I only met on HAMB'er IRL.

3. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I saw Fred's roadster at the Houston Auto Rama. (At least I think it was his.) That was the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Hope he's doing okay. You could always count on him for an opinion.

4. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The questions that have been raised made me curious, so I checked and found no activity on here since Nov 1 for Fred and no activity by George since Nov 18, now, didn't George have problems with his computer and maybe that is why he hasn't been on? Sure hate not seeing guys who are regulars suddenly not posting, with my own advanced age and history with health issues, it always makes me wonder about their health.

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Falcongeorge is fine he just bought a 39 Ford Convertible and probably isn't thinking about buckets now.

This thread is becoming like a family and I'm wondering how everybody feels about that. I kinda like the friendships.

6. I'm still sitting in the corner keeping my mouth closed unless I'm sipping the beer. I am enjoying the detours of this thread too guys and I am wondering who the hell Paul the Kiwi guys is and what his NZ history and then USof A history is. I have sussed that he is originally from the Napier/ Hastings area but apart from that, a blank...

7. Na Whip I'm sure he's from Nelson area but no doubt he'll chip in. Yes it has become family like and I got no problems with that. In fact it makes next year all the more to look forward to:)

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'd agree with that. Even though I live way up here in the north :D Friendships are good even though we don't get a chance to meet.

9. Even though I've only posted on this thread a couple of times, it's one of my favorites to read! Makes me wish I had a bucket so I could be a part of the family.

10. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Most old Kiwi Rodders will remember me from years back as `House`...My old `42 Sedan was fairly well known when I lived in Wellington for a few years in the early 80`s...I have been over here since `86, and really got the bug when I came over to Bonneville with Bill Ward in `84. Lived and worked in SoCal for a few years, then moved to the Pacific N.W. Even had Golly as my Best Man.....I`ve been doing panelwork and fabrication for a long time, have run my own one man shop for almost 10 years. Worked for Magoo, Darrell Zipp, and a long stint with Donn Lowe. Other stuff too. Ran a car at Bonneville with Jay Storer, have been a Tech Inspector there the last 5 or 6 years. What else? I`m married, like long walks on the beach......( Ummm-maybe not...,) but the married part is right, along with the two kids...

Still feel like there is lots to learn and do. There are way more talented builders and Hot Rodders than me around, but I try.....and Gary...I`d never say that `I know how` to do stuff--perhaps it`s more like `I sometimes can get through to a result`....So--that is what I hope to do with this T build.

Oh....Still find it hard to make enough to support the family. You`ll never get rich doing what I do, but I still enjoy being in the shop and helping people bring their dreams to life...

k1w1rodder likes this.
  11. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Ack. I sound like I`ve filled out one of those Dating Website forms:eek:.....Let`s get back to some De-Uglifying....and Building....:).

12. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

This might be a dumb question, but Ryan's post the other day about the hidden ipod radio got me thinking. Anyone have a radio in their bucket? How about any other creature comforts like a heater or heated seats? Windshield wipers? What about mirrors - side mirrors, or rear view, both, or neither? Do you carry tools and a small scissor jack or? I know, I know- this is hot rodding. We don't need that stuff. Still has me curious, though. Anyone care to share what they carry in their car other than a toothbrush in your pocket? -I think Fred said that one :)

13. I gotta handfull of spanners, pliers, screwdrivers wrapped in a rag under my seat, no wipers(look over windscreen)no heater(put longjohns on)no jack, no spare, two wing mirrors, and an ipod thingy with twin head phones we wear under our flying helmets. Heated seat pfffft what are ya, man or mouse :D Oh and I got AA roadside rescue on speed dial:p

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  14. I have one screen wiper and one exterior mirror. Original owner builder had a heater from a Austin Mini under the seat but he was from the South Island and drove the T everywhere. With the roof and side curtains it got toastie he told me. It had been removed by the time I purchased the car. I also have a MP3 player to use for sounds.

15. I tend to lurk on the side line here, all great fun and info from a great bunch. Hey Kiwi Paul, I remember you from Wellington back then (I lived there for 32 yrs) and you should remember my Willys and maybe my mates Bucket with the early Hemi. JW

16. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

The closest I come to creature comforts in my T bucket are mirrors and that's it. No radio, no heater, no a/c, no wipers, no seat belts, no windows. Basically I'm sitting on a box on top of a gearbox in the open air. For those that have a bucket they know its a completely different driving experience to any other hotrod.
    I can just manage to fit a spanner and socket set under the pick up lid and that's it.
    If you want practicality get a roadster or coupe. Oh yeah I have those aswell

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

And yet another topic.
    I actually mounted a small aftermarket radio under the dash in my bucket once. Dumb! You can't hear anything with all the engine, exhaust, and wind noise in an open car. Took it right out. Luckily I was smart enough not to put any holes in the dash that show. I do carry a bag of tools and small spare parts in the space in front of the gas tank and a can of "Spare Tire". When I first got it running I knew I needed a rear view mirror but didn't want to clamp anything to the chrome windshield frame. I found a little aftermarket plastic suction cup mirror the works great. Whenever it falls off I just lick it and stick it back on. I did have a small side view mirror for a while (see avatar) but after the rebuild I haven't put it back on.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  18. Gotta small collection of tools and jumper cables under the seat. Wing and rear view mirrors, and a cigarette lighter receptacle for the phone. At some point it had a two post radio in it as well, but it's gone now (probably because you couldn't hear it!).

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  19. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Hey JW..Who owned that Early Hemi Bucket? I was looking through some old pics and think I saw it in the background at an old Event....Haven`t done much this week on the T. Made a front spring mount, waiting for the front spring to come back from the Blasters, and I`ll assemble it like the back. Now back to work on stuff that pays the Bills!!

20. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Here's where I keep my tools for my bucket. Oh! you guys have a great bucket thread I have been following it since it's beginning.
    e 033 (Medium).JPG

21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Wow pretty kool. I keep oil in mine.

Good to have you aboard Mac. More pictures of your bucket. Looks to be what I call a Kookie Kar Lookalike. Not a klone but but a bucket that captures "the look".

Where is Claremore? My father was born in Durant or thereabouts. They were rental farmers. I can't think of the word now. Sharecroppers. Still have relatives in or around Caddo.

Gary

22. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Rebel you are so right not a clone a lookalike. Just like you and all the other guys that watched 77 sunset strip I fell in love with the k car. That look haunted me all these years so about 5yrs ago I decided to build one for my last car build.(I have built a few in all these years.) I started a build thread here on the HAMB 4or5 years ago. I looked at you car and several others for guidance. This is what I ended up with and it's a blast to drive. You guys have had some good stuff on this thread about building a top for a bucket and that's my next project.
    Claremore is about 25 miles NE of Tulsa. 58 & 27 pics june 2014 038 (Medium) (2).JPG

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Nice Mac and you did capture the look. "A finished roadster" See you at LARS Fathersday.

Blownfuel likes this.
  24. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Mac,
    That looks awesome! What size are your tires that you're running? It sits perfect!

25. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

Not saying mine would be done, but how bitchin' would it be to have a row of all our T's at the LA Roadster show? I think that would look pretty neat! It's not often you see a bucket that's not a Fad T, let alone a whole row of them!

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Tim that would be awesome. If not 2015 maybe 2016. Give you guys something to shoot for and me something to look forward to.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  27. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

thanks 820x15 rear 560x15 front

28. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

LARS would be nice, CA is along way from OK.
    There might be a plan in 15 or 16 to come run at eagle field but not with my roadster.

29. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

Mr Mac that's a really ingenious place to store a few tools but have you ever wondered where that elusive engine rattle comes from? :)

loudbang likes this.
  30. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Well I'll be damned, I blamed it on being a chev.

RICH B, loudbang and dana barlow like this.