Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ron Dunn Ford restoration has begun!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by sar34, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Sakke

Sakke
    from Finland

You are doing justice for the old kustom !!! Truly a work of art.

2. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Glad to see this car back in action
    Looks fabulous

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

3. Holy cow that looks great! Thanks for the update.

4. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Impressive, impressive work. Thanks for sharing the progress

5. wow ! thats nice !

6. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

The hours of wet sanding are done and now Jay and Duke are well into the cut & buff stages on the Ron Dunn Ford. We'll be moving into final assembly before too long!

DSC09383FB.jpg DSC09390FB.jpg

7. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kool to see the progress. I loved the article in the new RJ magazine.

8. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Is that a BLUE left front fender on the pic or is that some lighting playing tricks ???

9. Wow, that's beautiful.

Eric H likes this.
  10. 62rebel

62rebel

it's the natural light playing off the color, where the inside light is giving us the correct hue. it had me wondering for a minute too.... BTW MAN that is a beautiful car.

11. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

I really enjoyed seing this one with patina at the GNRS! It looked nice for sure, but a car like this deserves to be in a good condition! It looks great with a new paint job!

12. can't wait to see the finished restore... great stuff

13. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

This has always been one of my favorite Shoeboxes ! Still have my old "little pages" mags. when it was originally shown & featured.

Can't think of a better shop to restore it. Steve is one of the nicest pros in the business, and his standards have always been of the highest caliber. Some great stories on the HOFL Site from our Interview a few years back with him.

Congrats on an utterly fantastic save & restore !

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

14. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

15. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

Moving into final assembly. The countdown to GNRS begins!

DSC09407 FB.jpg DSC09408 FB.jpg DSC09410 FB.jpg

16. this is getting really good now !!! wow !

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My oh My that car is looking good. I should get to see it at the Portland Roadster show.

18. Went back and was reading TRJ feature on the car, Did you ever figure out the air cleaner set up and the exhaust system ?

19. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

Crestliner steering wheel restored and ready to go.

DSC09416 FB.jpg

20. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

Yes, we have the exhaust figured out. It was split behind the header pipe and there were two glass packs installed by Huth Muffler (originally). Still brain storming on the air cleaner but I think I have the answer. Headliner going in today. 99.9% of all mysteries are solved. Restoring this car was like a treasure hunt and a lot of fun. I feel like a "history detective", but luckily there was a lot of magazine coverage on the car and quite a few pictures available through different sources. A special thanks here to Greg Sharp at the NHRA Motorsports Museum in southern California and also all the people who helped us in the "discovery" process. The real fun part is taking place now with the assembly process and all of the restored details and items going on. It's like hanging ornaments on the tree. Phew, glad I have that over with on the home front for the season.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. Car looks awesome!

I have two questions concerning the engine compartment:
    1) is that chassis black you have used? I really like how it looks and doesn't look super high gloss.

2) Curious about the change in color along transition from the firewall to the toe boards. I assume it's on purpose that the body color doesn't go all the way down to where the black starts, but what is the reason?

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

The chassis is painted a black that duplicates the original Ford chassis appearance as near as we could figure. The first version done in 1951 the entire car was painted a metallic red tone and they (Valley Custom) painted onto the top of the firewall that color also at that time. When Valley did the second version in 1956-7 they painted the top of the firewall black to cover the overspray of second version overspray color on the first version color. So we did the same. Make sense? I knew people would question that and it looks a bit strange , but, it is what was done and our goal during this whole process was to "restore" as correctly as possible.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. Makes total sense. I figured it would be something like that and was just curious about the "back story" of an interesting detail. Thanks for the reply!

24. was that Crestliner recast at Quality Restorations or Koch's ? Quality did my Crestliner a few years back and was perfect... Your restored wheel looks great !

25. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Great job on a classic custom. Enjoyed the article in the Rodder's Journal as well.

26. verde742

verde742

is Ron Dunn still alive, did he have a very chopped 40 Ford Convert?

27. Curt Six

Curt Six

Steve, I hadn't checked in on this thread in quite a while. I'm glad to see you're on track for the GNRS. The car looks excellent.
    Curt

28. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

No, Ron Dunn is no longer alive. Steve had bought the car from Ron's nephew. To our knowledge Ron did not have a chopped '40 convertible.

29. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

Engine and tranny were installed today.

DSC09460 FB.jpg DSC09473 FB.jpg

30. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon