Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Eric H

Eric H

Just started from the beginning of the thread again. You are going to have the best built box ever. I admire your level of skill and dedication.

2. THEKID49

THEKID49

I hadn't checked the post in quite awhile. The car is looking real good. Can't wait to see it finished.

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks for your words,guys!
    The garden "decoration" belongs to one of my brothers.
    The Volvo box was a good score,i think i've been lucky with the parts gathering for this project.
    Well,at the moment this project is slightly jammed.The frame is completely disassembled,there is nothing bolted on the frame at this point.I cleaned the frame rails from inside with a vacuum cleaner and air.There was a few pounds of US soil inside,so its pretty much done for the next phase.
    The plan was to get the frame sandblasted and painted at this weekend,but the weather was just too moist for the sandblasting.My sandblaster is going underground(literally,he works for the mining industry) for the next week and i'll make a roadtrip to Sweden at next weekend.So,i guess next possible D-day for the blasting and painting operation will be after next 2 weeks.And it looks like that i have to pick up my truck from the customs soon.
    Sometimes schedules just suck.

4. It's always great to see your progress and talent Antti.

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

6. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

My sandblasting operation backfired again...SHIT!
    The weather was ok for blasting on the middle of the week and the weekend was rainy ofcourse.
    You just gotta love Finnish weather at this time of year...
    I guess my friend doesnt mind about posting this pic in here:

[​IMG]

Over week ago we made a roadtrip to the west coast of Sweden and picked this gem for my friends collection.Its a 60' Biarriz with a matching numbers motor,an original interior,around 1000 made and if i remember right,only 114 with a bucket seats.This one has them originally...
    And now a little update...kind of.
    I thought i need to some kind of cart for the frame,so the moving it to sandblasting and to the painting chamber wont be such a pain in the ass.So i made an adjustable frame/body/what ever-cart from squaretube:

[​IMG]

Looks like it works too:

[​IMG]

Now i just have to wait that the weather gets a less shittier than its at the moment...

Eric H likes this.
  7. Eric H

Eric H

Great Cad and that's a nice little cart too.

8. I like your body cart dolly thing, and that's a gorgeous Cadillac, but man that garage looks like a damn castle. Good luck with the weather.

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks fellows!
    Yeah,that garage was like a castle and long as hell,like you can see from this pic:

[​IMG]

There was a similar building beside that one and a mansion nearby.
    I guess that garage was a cattle shelter,stable or something like that in the previous life.
    There is a year marked on the wall,1858.So it was a old place too.Pretty cool place to have a garage..

farmer12 likes this.
  10. Sweet! Mike's a lucky guy.

11. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Nice caddy
    You can not been so far from my place!!

/Stefan

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

We picked that Caddy from town called Ängelholm,40kms away from Helsingborg.
    I made a visit to my sister on that same trip.She lives in Helsingborg at the moment.
    I've been in Sweden before,but that was my first trip to the west coast of Sweden.Everything looked pretty nice in there.
    What comes to my build,looks like it takes 2 weeks more to get the damn frame sandblasted.
    I went at yesterday see a guy who owns a sandblasting/paintshop and he said that the next week is busy,but after that its possible to do it.
    So,the waiting game continues..

13. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

I live one hour drive north of that place
    I think i have sen the building maybe been in there becase i were and look on a car to with a
    frend for approx years ago.
    My wife is from Helsingborg so i is quit familier with that area
    And good luck to have the frame blasted

/Stefan

14. farmer12

farmer12

I've just been reading your progress and it's looking great Antti! At this pace, you'll beat me to the finish line! Keep up the awesome work. Respect my friend!

15. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Looking good. It was nice to meet you. Keep up the good work!

16. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks your words,Eric!
    Well,i think i have a lot more to do than you.At this point its getting slightly frustrating,this project has been jammed for a while because of the frame blasting thing.I hope there will be some progress in that matter at next week.

Thanks man!
    It was a nice to meet you too and thanks for the deal.
    And the deal was like this:

Dos sombreros,por favor:D

[​IMG]

I bought these Cadillac sombreros from fellow hamber attitudor at yesterday.
    And yes,they are nicely modified to fit on other wheels than Caddys originals.
    Looks like christmas came early at this year:D

farmer12 likes this.
  17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The sombreros should look pretty sweet on your ride . Like everyone else , I'm diggin' the frame cart . Nice job , and simple too !
    That Caddy sure is a sweet ride :cool: !

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

At last friday i took the frame to the sandblaster.The frame hauling trip wasnt the finest moments in the history of parts hauling.First we almost hit a damn deer and when we return home,my friends van's transmission broke.I felt sorry that it happens when we hauled my stuff.He said that rather that happen in here,than in Sweden.
    Well,i guess he is right.The Cadillac pick up trip with technical problems would been disaster.
    At today we picked it up from the sandblaster and this is what i got back:
    A blasted frame with a fresh coat of heavy duty truck/trailer paint.The frame is a bit dusty in the pic,but i am happy with the result:

[​IMG]

There is some sand inside of the frame rails.So it needs some vacuum cleaning and after that i am ready to bolt the axles back.

farmer12 likes this.
  19. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

20. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

coming along great. you have a helluva skill set. you are doing it all properly. awesome thread. cant wait to see this thing come to life

21. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Good the frame is ready
    I have wated to see it ready

22. 4rod

4rod

Great to see another shoe being built. I'll be following...
    Here's my fifty after chopping 4inch out of the a pillar and 5inch in the c pillar.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417114666.280086.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!

Thanks Stefan.It took some time to get the frame blasted,i am glad that its done!

24. 4rod

4rod

Thx fin...yeah in my opinion mild chops look and fit better with the bulky, boxy body.
    Did you slant your b pillar? I can't remember.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,like few inch chops too....Usually.I didnt chop the top,that job was done by a fellow hamber THEKID49.He did a good work with the chop,that was one reason for me to buy it from his friend.
    He slanted the pilars and frenched the tail lights too.I guess those are the only fingerprints that he left on my car.

26. Amazing work. I just had to go through the whole thread again now that I just picked up a '51. Totally inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks man!
    51 is an excellent choice,sir:D

28. I apologize if I missed this but the patch panels that you didn't make yourself, where did you order them from and what did you think of the quality?

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

No problem,all the patch panels i bought(except the NOS 4 door quarterpanel)came from EMS automotive.I bought mine from ebay,but here is a link to their website:

http://www.emsautomotive.com/

I think their products have a great quality,no bad word from me about that.
    I have noticed that some people expect that the repro panels are some kind of steel legoblocks,which will fit like a glove without any trimming,hammering etc.Its not like that never,even the NOS quarterpanel needed some trimming and i think that came from the factory..
    Good luck with the project!

30. Thanks man. I'll start a thread of my own once I start digging into it. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk