Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flyin' Brick II build & race thread. (ex-Flyin' Brick car)

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by Old6rodder, May 8, 2013.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy Gentlemen,

Well, the season's over. It was great, with the last of my major headaches (clutch) finally conquered.
    The last two races were Eagle Field and the ANRA closer. A mixture of my bad camera work and not my best driving cost me video of many of my runs (including my better ones), all of Tom's and Kay's, and any chance at trophies, but of course the worst day racing beats hell out of the best day not, so ....... :D

Eagle Field was what it always has been ...... the best true-stalgia meet we have out here. Rocky really has it together up there at the 'Field, and this one was right down the center once again. Ten runs in two days for the car, seven of'em mine. Tom took two, and Kay finally got to push the 'Brick down a strip for her first time as well. Scott & Debbie came down from Washington again, Joe & Jeana were there, as were Les with his car, and Kristine shoeing the 'Trap, and we all got to run each other multiple times. Damn, I'm glad I built this buggy! I wouldn't miss this kind of fun for anything I can think of.

b (1).jpg

Here's one of the videos I managed to avoid screwing up; against Kristine on her first trip in the Gorilla Trap.
    This second one's of Scott toasting me handily with his new engine, decidedly a mean runner. :cool:
    The last one's just one of my return road ones, please ignore any squirreling around that may've been accidentally included. :rolleyes:

ANRA was a blast too, even though I screwed up rather a bit.

One Pic at a Time.jpg

First qual, Joe Barton was in the right lane, and stalled while we were staging. I got so busy watching'em pull him back that the starter re-set the lights, and I didn't notice 'til I turned back around to see the last yellow already lit. Piss poor leave, decent run, short 13 on a .652 r/t. :confused: .

Second qual Jeanna & I lined up for the HAMBie run. I seriously went up in smoke in first. Turns out I'd forgotten to up the tire pressure from the trailering's 7 to the strip's 12, likely around half the normal footprint. Still, very nearly chased'er down on the top end, only about a wheel behind her front wheel. She was making NO mistakes, and giving NO quarter. It was beautiful, easily the best race of the weekend. It really would've looked terrific on film ...... had I remembered to start the effing camera. :mad:

Went out first elim to the evil crimson eye. Could've cried too, as Ray's car was recently re-built, and he stalled so bad I had to stop & wait for him at the top end. All I'd had to do was run a clean round, and I couldn't even do that. Got the humiliation right here on film too. :oops:

Well Kiddies, I'm already eyebrow deep in the floats, and'll be swamped 'til the parade once again. I'll hop on the aulde board here when I can, so you folks be cool, and have a great bunch of holidays. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  2. spanners

spanners

Good fillums Dick. Isn't it funny how some days you are concentrating so hard on your racing that the camera doesn't enter into your head. Been guilty of that several times.
    They look like good solid runs, obviously the timing issues are behind you. How's the Aussie clutch holding up?

3. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isn't it illegal for old farts to have that much fun? The ladies are exempt from that classification but not the "Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie" bunch. :D:D:D:D

4. bobw

bobw

I sure enjoy the videos. Thanks for posting them.

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Glad you gentlemen're enjoying'em.

The Oz clutch finished out the season in proper style, strong and steady. It's looking like a winner.
    Glad to finally have that settled, it was getting tiresome.

Hell, that it's illegal is WHY it's fun in the first place. Right? :D

And no, I'm not nodding off in Leo's shot there at Bako. That green bump about where my left nipple would be is the tach I'm looking at. You can see it a bit better in my avatar at the upper left of these posts. :p

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well enough that now I've gotten one for my stick conversion of El Toad (my street Toad wagon, in my sig links), since the slush pump spit out a front seal. :cool:

7. Old6 Thanks for the updates and videos. Have fun with the float building!

8. Old28

Old28

Be sure and post a few pictures of this years "Rose Parade Float" so we can see can see where you spend your fall months each year. Going to take some extra work to out do last years entry. :cool::rolleyes::)

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

We don't have the various folks' pictures collected 'til our February celebratory Pot Luck.
    So here & here're a couple short videos of our T1 road test.
    Yeah, that's me in the plaid shirt & grey coif. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  10. spanners

spanners

You'd better crank up the revs before you take that to the drags!

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Ya know, with the number of your parts from down under, those guys should make you an honorary Aussie. o_O

12. spanners

spanners

Hey Tom , we'll take anyone as an honorary Aussie. You'll just have to learn to talk slower, move slower and don't forget that all newbys have to shout the first 6 beers.

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't know about the beers Mate, but I really like Bundy OP. :)

14. spanners

spanners

"We have the technology"
    (Showing my age again with that quote)

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

We too...They don't import the stuff to the USA, but I know a pilot for United Airlines who brings me a bottle now and then. ;)

16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Just ran across a couple of Kleet's shots from back at our first Eagle Field meet this year.

One of me at the wheel ......
    Hell yes.jpg

and one of my bud Tom (64 Dodge 440) ......
    560197_755142564558735_5961378386166294028_n.jpg

Enjoy. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Great shots. Really show the car well!:)

18. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Tom, don't forget to send me the pics with me in the brick

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I will as soon as I get them downloadedo_O...Yeah, I know I'm slow, but I'm old and forgetful too.:confused:

20. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Couldn't resist. Killer shot, Kleet. :cool:

OK.jpg

21. Kleet did an awesome job on that shot.If you didn't know the car you'd think it was taken back in the day

22. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats' to you Dick for the great pic in "Hot Rod Deluxe" of the Brick in action at Eagle Field! Keep carrying the HA/GR torch.

23. bobw

bobw

Haven't seen the coverage yet, but they couldn't pick a better car to photograph.

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Can't afford magazines, and it isn't on the open part of their site, can you post it up?

25. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sure would.....if I was smart enough to figure out how to do it. My nine year old granddaughter could show me how but she is out "Black Friday" shopping with her mom. I guess that I am hopelessly technology challenged.....I am still trying to figure out my timing light. Maybe one of the other HA/GR groupies can post it.

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy, Gentlemen,

No updates on the 'Brick, but here's a link to Mr. Beverly's Flick'r album on the on-going Sierra Madre Rose Float build.

27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy, Gentlemen,

Latest up date on our "I Think I Can" float build is in the form of James Dyer's collection of photos posted up on Facebook by Todd Evans. The latest ones start at #12, with today's starting at #20.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  28. bobw

bobw

Dick, I'm not getting Jim Dyer's content but do see Mr. Beverly's pics. It must be very gratifying to build such an impressive float.

29. Old28

Old28

Dick, Real nice float you are working on this year for the City Of Sierra Madre, few more days and it will come to light in the annual Rose Parade. Great work by all that have been part of creation. :):confused:

Then tare down and a few weeks rest, then it is back to the "Brick" with some new idea's. :eek::D

30. RacerRoy3

RacerRoy3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats Dick for bringing home another winner!!! :D