Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '55 Ford Ute Rear Styling... What to do?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by JohnnyGretsch, Nov 23, 2014.

1. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

So, I'm starting to pull ideas together for my '55 Mainline mild custom build. From the doors forward everything is great, Ford US had a great design for 1955. Too bad Ford Australia had lagged behind, and 59 years later I'm stuck with a great front end, but a rear-end design that looks like a total after-thought.
    I'm thinking about reversing the tail-light housings to tunnel the lights, and using repro '59 Buick lenses. A rolled rear pan to cover the number-plate area, ditching the trailer indicators and tow bar, and a shaved tailgate, maybe with a licence plate recess. I'd also like to use a full Customline rear bumper, which wouldn't match the body contours, but the dinky bumperettes are just as bad. I'd love to hear what you guys suggest though.
    1955A.jpg

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

We dont see very many utes on this side of the pond so I dont know what you could do. To me they are so unique that I dont think that you would have to do much to make it Kool. Im a finish carpenter so I think if you invited me over I could do wonders with that wood bed.

3. Why not use a US '54 or '55 taillight housing?

4. Possibly using the 54 Ford taillight housing would be a improvement over what was offered,they do look a little utilitarian.

[​IMG]
    Remove the yellow turn signals and incorporate the signal in the housing like a 54 passenger car.

54 Buick lens would be a improvement. HRP

[​IMG]

5. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

I do like the idea of using stuff that I already have, the only issue is that nothing that you think would fit on this car light-wise does, unless it's a '58 or '59. In that case, it's just a matter of changing lenses as they had the '55 Fairlane style housing.
    I did toy with the idea of grafting sedan rear quarters on, but it is a lot of work.

[​IMG]

6. Think carefully because whatever you do, you'll still have to have amber turn signals somewhere in the mix. 60's Falcon ones could solve that, like an XP.

[​IMG]

Some dude even converted this one to flip out for a fuel filler.
    [​IMG]

just a thought.

loudbang likes this.
  7. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

That's a pretty wild idea. I know I have some old Galaxie buckets floating around somewhere that might be useful, but they could be too big.
    I wasn't 100% on the amber indicators, as far as I'm aware if the car was built without them, I don't have to have them on the car. Same reason my mate got around not having seatbelts in his F-Truck.

8. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

They are a very cool, unique car and are getting pretty rare, even in Australia. I'm lucky in that my Dad has collected quite a few over the years, and we have plenty of spares. The problem is the fact that Ford Oz just took the '52 style body and put the '55 front end on them, and that got them through to 1959 (by then we'd caught up, we had US-style '59 Fairlanes and Ranchwagons, but the ute was still '55 based).

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Would love to see sedan fins on the rear 1/4. It would look factory and stand out from the crowd if done right. All about aesthetics. e.g EH utes with sedan tail lamps and the like, FB ute with sedan fins

Spoggie likes this.
  10. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

I'd love to do the sedan quarters just for the heck of it, and I have the parts to do it. I think the only issue would be the short sedan doors looking out of proportion, like when people make dodgy "Customline" convertables out of four-door sedans and just weld the rear doors shut, rather than extending them. That and my inability to weld ;)

Spoggie likes this.
  11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I think you're gonna have to learn to weld...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Definitely, I'm about a week away from starting a welding course at college.

13. '55 rear quarters would be a lot of work but would definitely wake that sleepy stock rear up. Here's my '55 Customline with '59 Buick taillights.
    [​IMG]

14. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Thanks for the visual man, I think it would be great to put the Customline quarters on, but that might be a little further down the line. Are those Buick lights really just a straight swap? And are there any other tail-light lenses that'll swap in with little to no modification?

15. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to your local big truck shop with your taillight in hand and see if they may have anything that will fit .

16. The original Ford tail lights used three bolts and the Buick used four. So other than drilling some new holes they are a straight swap. '59 and '60 Buick are the same size but look different. '62 Galaxie, '63 Falcon Wagon, and '64 Fairlane will all work as well. Good luck.

17. The stock USA 55 fairlane lenses. You could replace the backup lights [blanked-out in this photo of my old 55] with amber lenses . 55ford-3_4rearveiewsmall.JPG

18. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

They actually did that in the factory for 1958 and 1959. The problem with doing this on a '55 is that they actually changed the body shape to accommodate the sedan-style light housing by flattening out the rear panel a little, whereas on a '55, the panel is curved. I've included a picture (the blue car) to try to better explain.

Attached Files:

19. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

So, I did this crappy little scrawl at work today, but it's a pretty good go at the way I want to go with the rear of the car. '59 Buick taillights tunneled in, '58 Mainline Tailgate (with a scallop), shortened Customline rear bumper with '55 Fairlane style exhaust exits. The reason I stuck with the Buick lights is that I can get them reproduction for cheap, and I don't even have to drill holes, as the Mainline tail lights use 4 screws instead of the normal 3. I want to try and use a later Falcon style tailgate latch so I can avoid using the factory door pull and keep the rear smooth-ish.

20. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Wouldn't let me post the picture before... Technology these days.

Attached Files:

21. I reckon you're on the right track with that little lunchtime drawing. Somewhere around issue # 29/30/31 Custom Rodder magazine (Eddie Ford) did a feature on a real nice '55 outta W.A. Very little body mods- nice straight black paint.

141212\'55Mainline-copy.jpg
    Quick drawing (above) suggests better things lie beyond this, with more thought . Not sure these fins would work with stock 1/4 pressing. Note smooth 'gate.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Outback, JohnnyGretsch and Dago 88 like this.
  22. ken1939

ken1939

I hate to ask, but does your engineer have to approve this? I know each state there has their own laws on this. Frankly I kind of like the original look..However I would vote for the 55's, although Spoggie's Illustration really looks good that way. I think the Early Faclcon's would be to big.
    If I was to go non Ford, the 40/41 Willys would be big but not to big, or the 50s Olds.

23. scotts52

scotts52

Personally, I'd find me a 55 wagon, lop off the rear and graft it onto this. May need to blend the two tailgates.
    Of course that'd mean you'd have to do some welding. I didn't know how to weld either. Took a course at a community college and am glad I did.

24. Engineers basically deal with chassis and driveline related stuff...frame mods, suspension, steering, brakes etc.

25. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Ken, if I were to make a major body modification that altered the structural integrity of the car, for example cutting the roof off, it would be required to be engineered. That's just in Queensland though.

Spoggie, that illustration looks spot on, apart from the compact Fairlane fins. It's crazy to see someone who's had a very, very similar idea to mine. Thanks for posting that up!

26. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Wagons were never shipped to Australia so they are rare as hens teeth over here. I don't like my chances of finding one at all, and I'm not sure Dad would be too happy if I cut the roof off his Courier.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  27. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

I just had a thought tonight while messing around under the house. Instead of using Buick lights, what about 52-54 Ford rear lights? I really would rather it be a mostly Ford build, and since I have two pairs, it saves me buying a set of repro Buick lights.