Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jivin jer

jivin jer

Having been stimulated by all the activity on the last page I've been brainstorming how I would make the clone look like the original pics.

2. jivin jer

jivin jer

I think I need a 4” reduction in that space between the grille and hood latch area to make things look right. It would have to be done in small increments to keep everything else looking right.

I could take 1” out of the brackets for the nose at the frame horns. This would give the profile a downward slant which is something that I don’t want. Hopefully there would be minimal (the fenders would have to be reattached) work that would need to be done at the cowl area for the fenders. I would then ADD a 2” wedge to the hood that would be gotten by lowering the latch area 2”. This would fix the slant. I’m half way there. I would then raise the grille opening in the frontal area by 1”. I would have to raise the gravel deflector 1” to compensate for the new grille position. The bumper assy would of course have to also be raised (new brackets) to compensate for all this. The problem is I’m missing 1”, and I see some problems with the new relationship with the gravel deflector and the lower front wheel openings. It’s not going to look right. I am also afraid that the wheel opening (at the top) would have to be opened up to look right, and then I would have a problem with the style (reveal) line at the top of the wheel opening.

BUT, I DO LIKE THE WAY THE ORIGINAL PICS LOOK.

3. Or... you could find the old camera and film, scout out the original locations, determine the time of day the photos were taken, submit them to a magazine which uses the old methods of developing, screening and printing on the old pulpy papers and see how that turns out!! ;) :D

Car looks just awesome Jer!

p.s. Just for comparison's sake, when you have a moment I would be interested in the measurement of the windshield from stainless to stainless at the centre bar.

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  4. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

OR have Jesse look at the car in person - and give an opinion!!

5. Torchie

Torchie

Jer.
    Despite my earlier comment about the pictures I DO understand what you are trying to achieve.
    My question to you is this. Are you trying to recreate the car the way that it actually was or the way that it looks in the picture, because as has been discussed before using the pics for scale is a trap for many reasons.
    Based on your investigations as well as talking with Jesse do you really think that they did all of the above mentioned modifications to the front sheet metal and hood of the original. And no one including Mr Lopez himself remembers that? If you do then how much of the other information that you have gotten is incorrect as well.
    It's your build and in the end you are the one that really has to be satisfied. You and Jesse I guess.....
    Based on what you have posted in regards to what was done to the original I would have to say that this is it.
    You are starting to sound like the guy that is watching his bride to be walk down the aisle and thinking that she is not as beautiful as he thought....LOL
    Don't start doubting yourself now.
    As always, just my 2 cents......
    Torchie.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Peanut 1959 likes this.
  6. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well Torch, at two cents you are definitely selling yourself short. This "excersize" has been primarily for edification. In other words, so that there is full disclosure and this all gets "hashed out". I also think it's interesting for me to reveal my (every-body's) struggles with this stuff. We don't get that in most of the "big" build threads.

I did ask Jesse early on where that front gravel deflector was. Did it sit in the '46 Ford position in relationship to the '41 bumper brackets? He said yes. That was all I needed to know regarding all the other components. Everything then was built on that foundation.

The windshield measurement mimics the Zaro car. 8 3/4" windshield seal to seal at the divider bar.

grifcarnut likes this.
  7. Torchie

Torchie

It's my version of a "Black Friday" sale Jer......:)
    Glad to hear that this is just what it is and not a lead up to heart break ....... as this is and has been one of my favorite builds.
    Torchie.

8. Thanks Jer! That's a healthy "whack"! God, the car looks good!

Dave

9. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Hey, Mister Jer, when i see your pictures on this post, i din't know if you have built your front with simply the smalls pictures tape on the hood, but if you want to see more, you need to work with a king size poster........if this can help you......to see more details......[​IMG]

daddio211 likes this.
  10. jivin jer

jivin jer

Hey Rat, you have the right to be here as much as any body else. I'm afraid at this point I'm beyond help.

11. I can't be the only one faithfully following this build (and Jer's previous build) that think your comments are neither constructive or really adding to this in any way.

It's been discussed ad nauseum, and established that old, distorted photos (even enlarged old distorted photos) aren't reliable in comparison to first hand accounts from the actual owner/builder.

The car is built, damn-near completed, and comments like this are why people don't share as much on the HAMB anymore. Jer has always been very open with all the struggles associated with a re-creation build, and he should get a medal for it.

Making comments based on old pictures, comparing them to new pictures, and making assumptions strikes me as ignorant based on the 64 pages documenting the journey to this point.

Rant over. Not trying to be a dick, but I felt like it had to be said.

Sent VIA top secret BIGREDTODD Mobile HQ

12. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Hello again guys, it's my last post on this tread.

Bigretodd, just one thing, here, in France, when, we see a title ask "Recreating The Jesse Lopez Coupe", is like if i say to The Louvres Forum in Paris "Recreating La Joconde by Leonard De Vinci", understand?.....if i say "inspired by", the evocation and some personnal touch is possible.

In this post, apparently, the project is to make exactly the same car that the Ford was build in late 40's and own by Jesse Lopez.
    This car, like some other, is a real classic, and it's not a crime if i ask my point of view about the front, seems look to me, not well be done duplicate. (Just a feeling, my feeling, that's all). I'm not Confusius!

Of course, i'm the first one to give a medal at Mister Jer, his car is wonderfull, a nice job, pretty lines, but when i see this car, actualy, the correct word for me, is TRIBUTE Jesse Lopez car.

I have a lot of respect about all people who create, re-create, build cars, with money or not, but i never understand people who try to etablish the rules and impose the good taste in an artistic project.

I have build my car under the rain, who cares at the end? Only the result count, and if someone ask me "your paint suck", i respect the point of view, and i try to understand "why he told me that".
    If i answer that is a problem of rain distortion, or a misery chinese paint gun, i think i try to find an excuse to ask crap and don't listen the point of view of the other......

Re-Creating is not an easy game to play. And clone is for cow and cd's ;)

Congratulation Mister Jer and all people who help you to realise this nice car, you have all my respect and felicitation.

Anyway, the more important, is........ is it the foot door button work? pic join, if someone try to re creatin the Jesse Lopez shoes....;););)[​IMG]

type36 likes this.
  13. I am not sure if there is a language issue here or a comprehension problem or just a complete unwillingness to listen to what you are being told but here it is simplified. The original pictures are NOT an accurate representation of what the original car looked like. They are distorted so comparing them to Jer's car is meaningless.

BIGREDTODD likes this.
  14. jivin jer

jivin jer

OK,OK, sometimes you have to just step back and have a good old fashioned belly laugh. How boring it would be if we were all the same. I appreciate you guy's coming to my defense, VERY MUCH. Building this car is fun, and telling about it is fun.

You must forgive me (you have to). I just looked up from where I sit in the command module and realized that I do have a (secret) pic that shows that long droopy nose and the grille configuration.

Rat, you gotta' trust me. 001 (8).JPG 001 (9).JPG

15. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

I don't trust you, you are a liar, this picture show the best ever pretty legs, shoes, and little feet, i'm in love, if you see a long nose, you need to consult a doctor ;););):p:p:p

16. greybeard360

greybeard360

Having seen this car in person and worked on it and I can say with honesty that I have seen this car from every angle possible (even the bottom). Looking at ALL of the photos available and all of the various angles when compared to this car..... it is perfect.

Are some things NOT absolutely the exact same? I am sure. Things like the exhaust and what the motor really looked like. There are no photos. Jer is having to go by the memory of the owner on a car that was built how long ago? It is recreated by what he can remember about the car. The rest.... you just have to ask.... how would most guys have done it back then and do it accordingly.
    It is a re-creation.... not a clone so therefore a little leway is allowed. How many "recreations" have there been of many of the factory muscle cars? Probably more than were ever built in the first place. How many Jesse Lopez cars have been re-created?

You're looking at IT ...... as far as we know.:eek:

loudbang likes this.
  17. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

Looking great Jer, can't wait to see it in person

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. She is turning out absolutely gorgeous Jer! I am very jelous. If my 36 turns out half as nice I will be very happy. Cant wait to see her totally finished.

19. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks everybody, here it is out in the light of day. It was driven out and is sitting here idleing. I did make a short video. I'll have to convert it to utube to be able to upload it here. I call it "it's dirty, but it's nasty". 001 (11).JPG 002 (9).JPG 003 (2).JPG

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  20. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

You did good. Absolutely beautiful in all respects.

21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Torchie

Torchie

There it is.......
    Torchie.

23. HotRodDean

HotRodDean

Wow...that looks bloody fantastic!!

24. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Great job, nice car, but i don't like the front, i prefere watch the Jesse Lopez Ford distorted old pics. Now i see a big nose!:p:p:p:p:p, but maybe with a Pin-up on the hood, i can change my mind;););).....

but it's ok, don't worry about me, i went to a shrink:D

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  25. Looks great Jer!

26. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Amazing build! I'd give my left... well you get the picture.

27. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

28. WOW. I´ve been following this thread with great intresste for a long time and I must say it´s amazing.Jesses car is one of my favorite 41`s and I think you nailed it.Congrats to a great car.

29. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Jer thanks for sharing this beautiful car build with us. And I thought Junior's was over the top well this car equals that and then some - thanks again.
    Oh - how are you going to top these?? Take a vacation -LOL!

30. Hi Jer , Looks great ...love it ! who gives a "Rat's" ass what anyone else says is right per some old pics... Hats off to you.. Followed the Junior build and this one from the start...LOL love it !

daddio211 and BIGREDTODD like this.