Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 34 Plymouth coupe goes hemi

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dixchief, Nov 22, 2014.

1. dixchief

dixchief
    from Florida

decided to put a chry 300 hemi in my 34 coupe. In the early stage of planning. I would like to keep it period correct as much as possible.
    Question: the original Ply PE rear axle is fairly massive. has anyone used one in a hot rod?
    it would need to handle the 300HP (not planning on racing it) vs the original 77HP Six cyl.
    I know the Ford 9" is often used. But what are your thoughts? I know it is not limited slip.

2. photo (14).JPG
    this one is running a ford rear. The stock axle looks weak and has small brakes + finding parts is not easy at your local parts store. If your trying to stay all mopar, an 8 3/4 rear would be an excellent choice

Hnstray likes this.
  3. [​IMG]
    used this kit from Chassis Engendering to install the rear axle, fit very well

4. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

A friend of mine has a 34 Dodge sedan with a 6.1 Hemi and a 8 inch Maverick.. He called Currie and they told him as long as he didnt race it it would be fine. He did install a posi they suggested. I have a Maverick in my 34 Plymouth and it was the correct width.

5. running a Maverick as well, fit like a glove

6. 73RR

73RR

What 'period' are you looking at? There are plenty of pre-64 type axles, including the Mopar 8¾, that come in varying widths and that will take whatever you dish out. The Ford 9 is popular but they do consume more hp than other axles if that is a concern.
    For the casual guy looking under the rear of car a late axle will not be a turn off and remember that IRS and disc brakes were used in many 60's builds.

7. We are running a 8.5 Factory Stock 10 Bolt in our 38 Plymouth. The Hemi is putting out 390 HP to the rear wheels...don't race the car but get on it every so often...no issues....

8. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also used a Maverick in my 33 build. Slid right in and didn't have to alter anything. Most have 2.79 gears but you can find some 3.0

9. Idahorocks

Idahorocks
    from Spring, TX

Mine is running a 9" Ford. Very pleased with it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416691650.491825.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416691722.960238.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. earlymopar

earlymopar

Idahorocks likes this.