Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. KKrod

KKrod

D&Bautosales1948cropped.jpg Tattersfield.jpg
    How about a visit to D&B motor sales to look at the roadsters! The place to buy, sell, or consign your hot rod. I think Pat Ganahl did a piece about D&B.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. KKrod

KKrod

In tribute to Larry Shinoda.

img073.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  3. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Wow, incredible stuff to look thru. Awesome chunk of history!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moving along....have a few more ready for you. Like I had said earlier, some of these have been shown before. But what the heck, I like re-runs! So here ya go.

IMG_1107.JPG scan0062.jpg IMG_1108.JPG IMG_1109.JPG scan0063.jpg IMG_1110.JPG scan0064.jpg IMG_1111.JPG scan0065.jpg IMG_1114.JPG scan0066.jpg IMG_1112.JPG scan0067.jpg scan0068.jpg

5. davo461

davo461

Utterly amazing! How lucky are you to have these pictures and, how lucky are we to see them?

Stogy likes this.
  6. Carter

Carter

Phenomenal stuff!
    Mike, thank you for sharing this with us!

Stogy likes this.
  7. I cant thank you enough for sharing this fantastic history with all of us. Very interesting to say the least !

Stogy likes this.
  8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thank You WoodieMike for posting these extremely Kool pix! Thanx again for bringing them to the PRC meeting a few years back, That was truly fun!!! It's always nice to know that someone had taken the time to preserve history for the future gens to come.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  9. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you all for the kind words, I really appreciate it. Busy week [Thanksgiving], but I do have a few things ready to post. I really love the article on the First Annual Bonneville National Speed Trials. And check out the the entry fee $7.50!!!!! As always....hope you enjoy.

IMG_1115.JPG IMG_1116.JPG scan0069.jpg IMG_1117.JPG scan0070.jpg IMG_1118.JPG scan0071.jpg scan0072.jpg scan0073.jpg

63fdsnr, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  10. 296ardun

296ardun

It just continues to get better, thanks for posting, great tribute picture of Doug Hartlett's roadster, and Doug on the competition committee, he just passed recently. So many famous names, including long-time starter Roy "Multy" Aldrich on the "hospital committee" and starter the legendary Charles "Kong" Jackson (who also passed recently).

11. Hard to beat that banger-powered '29 tub with the dual Strombergs! Sweet

@RainierHooker

12. Nobey

Nobey

Once again fantastic stuff Mike, thank you.
    The Ted Truesdell roadster- would that be the Glendale Stokers?

Stogy likes this.
  13. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Nobey...you are very welcome. I personally can not "stake my life on it", but I think it's just the Stokers. As you can see by the Lakes Duties schedule I will post, there were both the Glendale Stokers, and the Stokers. Thanks for the comment.

scan0074.jpg

Stogy, Pufff, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  14. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Ted Truesdell was a member of the Stokers club in the SCTA. The club was from the general Glendale area. There were club members from the surrounding areas, including Pasadena (Duff Livingstone, Don Nicholson, Marvin Watson and others). The club was often called the Glendale Stokers to show a difference from the Strokers (Whittier area). The other Glendale club was the Sidewinders. The Sidewinders were a prewar club that continues on today.
    Don

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

anyone else notice the Firestone white lettered tires on the tub?

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

I love the entry fee for the '49 Bonneville. $7.50!! Some inflation since then. $525 this year and God only knows what it will be next year!!

17. JakesA

JakesA

Yes, I noticed the tyres which is a good lookPopular to do that here in oz in the 50's and early 60's.
    Sometimes highlighting the tyre size as well. popular colours were gold, silver and white.

18. If you had all of these pictures professionally scanned and restored, and then put in a large format "coffee table" book, I would buy it in a heart beat, even if it ended up being a couple of hundred bucks ... priceless stuff you are posting, thanks!

19. KKrod

KKrod

This roadster and driver George (Fabry) would fit right into Don Montgomery's book "Authentic Hot Rods". That is exactly what this is. An authentic 40's street driven and raced at the lakes Hot rod. I enjoy looking at the restored cars from the era but for some reason I am attracted to cars like this one which is a nice realistic appearing driven roadster. Makes me wonder how much the value of a roadster like this was worth in the forties. Any ideas? Don?? I'm guess around $ 800, maybe less?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  20. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I'm in for a book too...maybe not for a "couple hundred" though. Self publishing isn't as expensive as it used to be. Heck, maybe there could be a collaboration with Ryan and make it available thru the Jalopy Journal store. JohnnyA

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  21. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

volvobrynk and wingnutz like this.
  22. Nobey

Nobey

Thank you Don for the clarification, I was never sure if there was more then one Stokers club.
    Thanks to you guys, I can now add two more members to my list of 18 Glendale Stokers.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  23. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

In 1950 my Hudson sedan was my transportation car, my street racer, dry lakes racer and when drag racing started my drag racer. The car, with the heavy Buick engine, weighted more than most of the other race cars. So I took out the back seats leaving only a small fuel tank in the rear.. In order for the car to look OK inside I wanted a "touneau"(?) cover over the rear seat area; similar to the roadster cockpit covers.
    George Fabry was in the upholstery business then. His small shop was on north Allen Ave. in Pasadena, I recall.
    George made the cover. It snapped in place and covered the various stuff in the back. He did a good job. He also did hot rod upholstery during that time.
    In my book "Old Hot Rods Scrapbook' I used a couple of photos of a '32 3 window coupe that a Pasadena friend of mine, Nat Aucott, built in 1949. Nat got a 1/4" stroker engine that George Fabry had run at the Lakes. I believe that George also upholstered Nat's very nice coupe.
    The rest of the story is about 8 +/- years ago a fellow from New Mexico said he thought he had Nat's old coupe, based on the photos in my book. I gave him Nat's address. He got together with Nat and they determined that he did indeed have the car. So the car still lives as a nice street rod.
    Don www.montgomeryhotrodbooks.com

Nat Aucott

24. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

volvobrynk and Carter like this.
  25. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for the input Rockerhead. Bill Boren's daughter Karen has shared all of Bill's photos and we have uploaded all these to a Screwdrivers Facebook page that you can see here:

https://www.facebook.com/hotrods1948

The page contains a lot of photos that we are working on gathering more info on, so please chime in :)

Below are some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Pufff and 3 others like this.
  26. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, thanks a lot for sharing these great photos Woodiemike!

Stogy likes this.
  27. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the comment Karl...as always, you have a good eye for things. As many have said before, these guy's drove these cars everywhere! They were their daily driver, grocery getter, and everything in between! Dad had said that most of his cars were in the range of $500/$800. So spot on there. In my next post you will see George Fabry's car at El Mirage with hood, and a time of 118 MPH.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  28. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are very welcome Superflye! Thanks for chiming in, and I really like where your website is going. Thanks for sharing. Like I have said before, and will say again, this stuff needs to be shared!!!!

Stogy likes this.
  29. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok Boys and Girls...another page for you to study. Picture of my Uncle Don's T. Love the altitude on the carbs! Great picture of the Elco Twin, Jack Clori, Don Blair, and George Fabry. Thank you to all that have commented. I love to hear what you have to say. As always, hope you enjoy, and "keep the ball rolling"!!

IMG_1119.JPG IMG_1121.JPG scan0001.jpg IMG_1124.JPG scan0002.jpg IMG_1123.JPG scan0003.jpg IMG_1122.JPG scan0004.jpg IMG_1125.JPG scan0005.jpg

63fdsnr, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  30. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

The '32 roadster, car number 98 C roadster, in the background was owned by George Kalem of the Roadrunners club. This is apparently an SCTA lakes photo from May 25, 1947. George recorded a good 119.53 mph time that day. The top 13 class C Roadsters recorded times from 125.52 mph down to 119.68 mph. It was a very competitive class.
    George Kalem drove his roadster to school then - John Muir Junior College in Pasadena. He usually parked across the street in front of the school. I would often look out at the roadster from the classroom. I thought it was perhaps the nicest roadster at the school then.
    The foreground roadster is the Elco Twin Special owned by Bert Lether of the Roadrunner (#24C). Bert's roadster turned 124.30 mph for 3rd place that day. Don
    George Kalem.jpg

Lil'Alb, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 8 others like this.