Register now to get rid of these ads!

How To Respond To A Classified Ad

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Ryan, May 16, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Even though we have not allowed threads replies to classified ads for over a year, we still get lots of questions about it. So, I thought a tutorial was in order.

Let's say you found a car that you want to buy and you need to get a hold of the owner to offer some ridiculously low sum for his vehicle. Easy. First, just click on his username like this:

ad1.jpg

That will bring you to a pop up. On that pop up, just click "start a conversation" like so:

ad2.jpg

From there, you can have a private conversation with the owner.

Enjoy!

gwhite likes this.
  2. silverdome

silverdome

Wow! With this new H.A.M.B. it makes one more thing I have to learn. We just installed new computers at work and with all the updates my brain just might explode. I think a good cold beer or six every night for the next month will cure it though. It's gonna be one heck of a ride!

3. johntomferg

johntomferg

What if you also cannot start a private conversation with the seller?
    "
    The following error occurred:
    Participants:
    You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: <name>
    "

What then?

bobo likes this.
  4. fergie059

fergie059
    from ohio

Yea,what He said. Im intrested in RICH B 'S f2 brakes,and for the life of me,I tried everyway to contact him and cant .Bring back PM'S

5. Chev38

Chev38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Each time I try to reply to a listing I get an error message that tells me to enter a valid message!

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You might have noticed that I tested each of your accounts. Each test worked... So, give it another try. Maybe we were working on the feature when you guys got errors. Also, check out the tutorial on conversations that I just finished here.

7. fergie059

fergie059
    from ohio

Just figured out what I was doing wrong! Sorry,Ryan for the drama.
    It is actually easier than it looks!!

8. 32 thunder

32 thunder
    from Sanger, CA

Ryan
    When I click on the members name it brings up a pop-up but nowhere on the pop-up is "start a conversation". Am I doing something wrong?

Greg

9. jimvette59

jimvette59

10. I get enter a valid question also. I have tried for an hour and cant get through. I have probably lost the chance to buy now. Please bring back PM's

11. Sorry Ryan, I also finally figured it out.
    Phil.

12. hamb13

hamb13

how about putting a ICON - reply. that way you haven't have to have people SEARCHING for a way to contact someone, or continue to work like the gov't.

back, how about adding a SEND button also.

think i'm frustrated - as of now 1,378 people have to find this thread. to figure a simple response to a seller out.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  13. 2ugly

2ugly
    BANNED

A little confusing, I just tried to ask a seller a question about a part. Did the "start a conversation" thing, all seemed to go well ...but when I was looking for a "send" option after previewing my question, the only choice was "start a conversation" ? Seems like reinventing the wheel to me ? What's wrong with "send" or "reply" ? Appreciate your work... I'm not complaining .......it's like my "so called smartphone", it takes 1 or 2 extra steps to call, answer or end a phone call, are we all going backwards now?

14. FTreadway

FTreadway

Change is not always good. Bring back the old method of PM's. Just tried to respond to a classified ad per the instructions. Nothing seemed to happen!

15. funk 49

funk 49

I have been trying to contact Russ_B_10 for a month with a few different conversations started about a current add he has running with no response. I believe I did it right,but with no response after that many tries ,I don't know if the messages went through. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You,
    funk 49

16. RoadScholar

RoadScholar

Hi Joe,

I have been looking for some American TTO's for a while. I am working on a '53 Ford F-100, and as you know the BHP for these pickups is is 5 on 5-1/2. Your wheels and tires look to be in very good condition, and I believe your price is reasonable. You call them 'old school'. Does this mean they are bias-ply tires? How are the sidewalls - any cracking?

Now this may be a long shot, as I live near Blacksburg Virginia and you have indicated you want to sell your wheels/tires to someone who will pick them up. It's not that I wouldn't drive to get them (Google indicates about 12-hours, one-way) but with the holidays fast approaching there's less time for long trips, and with the weather getting bad, it could be an iffy proposition until Spring. Having said that, do you think you might consider shipping them? I can give you a call if you want to discuss.

Thanks,

Jim Coffey
    'RoadScholar'

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

18. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

error enter valid message, what am I doing wrong?

19. dirttoo

dirttoo

(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)
    Why is that at the bottom of all of the classified ads that I am interested in?
    (You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)

RC. likes this.
  20. No one can respond to a classified ad, send them a P.M. (conversation)

21. Every time I try to post a ad it says I don't have enough permission to do so. I got a car I want to sell. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks!

Dawson 1939 Willys Sedan

22. Are you trying to do it from the APP? If so that is your problem as classifieds are not compatible with it. You have to access it form the browser on your device if that is how you are trying to do it.

23. Got it! Gotta go to browser and sign in. Thanks, J.P.

Dawson 1939 Willys Sedan

24. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

well to start off with i am not that thrilled with the new way of contacting someone that has something to sell. also at the bottom of the page that has the item i am interested in it says that , i have, insufficient privileges to contact this person. what is that all about? what have i not done to be able to contact someone?

25. No one can respond to a classified ad, you must use the "start a conversation" tab

26. Alltime

Alltime
    from So Cal

When I click on the name it doesn't give me the option the start a conversation

27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

28. Hi Ryan could you please contact me.

29. rmira56

rmira56

everytime i click on "start conversation" it opens up my file folders dialogue box. i am unable to start conversatations...can you check my account. i still get alerts and i used to be able to engage in conversations in the past.

thank you

30. Slick34

Slick34

I found someone looking for a set of 34 Ford running boards. Filled out what I had but nowhere is a send or reply. What do I need to do?