Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hi from Dallas - Bought a 1962 Falcon...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by txcrash, Nov 19, 2014.

1. txcrash

txcrash

I guess now that I'll be the one asking stupid questions it's time to Introduce myself.

I live in a suburb just north of Dallas, and like everyone here I'm another transplant. Grew up with old cars - dearly departed Grandpa had around 15 at any given time, restored to "driver" condition. He wasn't a fan of the chopped roofs, the sbcs in a ford, etc - but he wasn't always a purist. Sometimes it was about what worked. My baby is the 71 f100 he passed down to me, which is in original (albeit farm truck) condition. I'll always have this truck, and it'll never be modified save a future disc brake/power brake upgrade, pertronix ignition system, and a paint job years down the line when "survivors" aren't as appreciated as they are now.

Last night I bought a 4 door 62 falcon, in need of some mechanial love and some primer to cover the hideous "custom" paint. Eventually it'll be a fair weather daily, might toss a 200 inline in if I can find one and a transmission that'd be less work than getting the little 144 and fordomatic working right. I'm not tossing in a v8 - doing so would go against the reason I wanted one of these (good fuel economy while still being a cool car).

And yes, my avatar is a picture of me. Best picture taken in a while.

2. jenaburn

jenaburn

3. TexasDart

TexasDart

Welcome ...I'm in Richardson. What's weird is a lot of times the small V8s will get you as good if not better gas mileage. I run a /6 in mine with a Pertronix and a weber 32/36. I get about 19/20 MPG on the highway and my buddy with a 340 6pack will beat me in the mileage war. :(
    I saw your initial post...didn't know what happened to it. Looks like a pretty straight car with a funky paint job. You might try wet sanding the funky paint off or use oven cleaner on it. You might have nice paint underneath all that 'funk'. You would probably have to scuff it anyway to repaint. Not really a big fan of flat black. Maybe more of a Satin black with some clear.

4. Welcome from just North of DFW. I saw your car when it was on Craigslist. It was priced good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. txcrash

txcrash

Paid $1000, delivered. Gotta get her to idle right, then start messing with the transmission. Paint is kind of growing on me, it might stay for now.

6. Awesome price for delivered!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. welcome to the board ....

8. rs57

rs57
    from oklahoma

welcome to the site from Oklahoma lots of great guys and info here

9. txcrash

txcrash

Thanks for the welcome guys! Got her to idle somewhat proper, now's time to start gathering parts for a t5 swap. I see salvage yards in my future....